Motorcycle Tire Track Questions for M2 Road Test | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Tire Track Questions for M2 Road Test

Slawek

I have a few basic tire track / blocking position questions when riding a motorcycle.

I know that the rule is to generally stay in the curb lane using the left tire track, however what happens in the following scenarios?

1) Driving along a single lane, staying in left tire track. A right turn lane appears at an intersection dedicated to flow traffic right if turning. If I want to continue driving through the intersection, do I stay in the left tire track OR do I move over to the right tire track for that section and through the intersection, and then move back to the left tire track after the intersection?

2) Same scenario as above except it's not an intersection, but an entrance to a plaza, for example. I want to continue driving along but a right lane appears to guide traffic into the plaza, do I take a blocking position in the right tire track during this section or do I continue in the left tire track?

3) Same as #2, except it is a 2 lane road, and a 3rd lane appears to guide people right into a plaza / turn right at intersection. I'm in the curb lane in the left tire track before this right turn lane appears. Stay in this position or take a blocking position to the turning lane?

4) Driving along on a 1 lane road and the road widens to allow designated painted parking spots on the right. Regardless if there are parked cars or not, do I still stay in the left of the lane or do I move over to the center or right side of the lane?

I am a safe rider, and I took the safety course, but these are scenarios which were never discussed. I just want to know what is the correct approach so when I take my M2 road test I will be best prepared.

I have a few basic tire track / blocking position questions when riding a motorcycle.

I know that the rule is to generally stay in the curb lane using the left tire track, however what happens in the following scenarios?

1) Driving along a single lane, staying in left tire track. A right turn lane appears at an intersection dedicated to flow traffic right if turning. If I want to continue driving through the intersection, do I stay in the left tire track OR do I move over to the right tire track for that section and through the intersection, and then move back to the left tire track after the intersection? Generally, you wouldn't worry about "blocking" a lane that is exiting. If, however, it was being used for people to race down and try to get back in (more common on a highway), you may want to adjust your position so that those motorists can see you, rather than thinking there is an empty spot.

2) Same scenario as above except it's not an intersection, but an entrance to a plaza, for example. I want to continue driving along but a right lane appears to guide traffic into the plaza, do I take a blocking position in the right tire track during this section or do I continue in the left tire track?

Same answer

3) Same as #2, except it is a 2 lane road, and a 3rd lane appears to guide people right into a plaza / turn right at intersection. I'm in the curb lane in the left tire track before this right turn lane appears. Stay in this position or take a blocking position to the turning lane?

Same answer.

4) Driving along on a 1 lane road and the road widens to allow designated painted parking spots on the right. Regardless if there are parked cars or not, do I still stay in the left of the lane or do I move over to the center or right side of the lane?

If there is no traffic on the right, you don't need to change your position. If there are parked cars, I can't imagine why you would move closer to them.

I am a safe rider, and I took the safety course, but these are scenarios which were never discussed. I just want to know what is the correct approach so when I take my M2 road test I will be best prepared.

I provided the answers above because they were relatively straightforward. In fact, they were all too similar. I think it's important that you understand what you're trying to do, rather than remember.

First, you need to think about what your objectives are when you choose a lane position. Come to one of our classes and I'll prattle on about them for hours. It's not about memorizing different scenarios, it's about determining priorities and balancing those 4 objectives. The priorities are constantly changing and you have to be constantly evaluating them.
a) Visibility - see and be seen. Where in the lane are you most visible, and do you have he best view?
b) Traction - what's the road surface like? Slippery, broken, sandy?
c) Space - how much space to you have beside/ahead/behind you? Do you need more?
d) Protection - are you encouraging or discouraging other motorists from sharing the space? (Blocking Position)

Most often, what's generally considered the correct blocking position will help you achieve all of those objectives. But you don't ride in someone's blindspot because you've memorized it as the proper side of the lane for the lane you're in. If the motorist can't see you, you're not meeting 3 of those objectives! It's far more important to understand and think about your position than it is to memorize scenarios.

One of the other benefits of taking a course is that examiners are riders. They're more likely to understand your decisions. Examiners at drive test that aren't riders have to memorize the scoring criteria. Unfortunately, they may not recognize when you've evaluated a scenario and changed your position as a result, and consider it an error. There is a lot of detail in the scoring criteria, and it is valid. If it's not applied properly though, it can seem a little arbitrary.

^ To further the above, here is another scenario.

Country road, one lane each direction as normal, no shoulders, cresting the sharp crest of a hill. Where do you want to be?

I would suggest left side of right tire track. You don't know (can't see) what's on the other side of that crest. If there is a pedestrian or bicycle in your lane in the position where they are supposed to be, no problem. If there is a car overtaking a pedestrian or bicycle coming in the opposite direction on the other side of that hill, and the car is over the center line, no problem. Gravel and other debris are most likely to be between the car tracks and not in the car track itself - no problem.

I agree with Emefef 100%, specifically point a).

I have always rode with this in my mind and I have rarely had anybody pull out in front of me and on these few occasions I was already anticipating their actions and had an escape planned out in advance.

I provided the answers above because they were relatively straightforward. In fact, they were all too similar. I think it's important that you understand what you're trying to do, rather than remember.

First, you need to think about what your objectives are when you choose a lane position. Come to one of our classes and I'll prattle on about them for hours. It's not about memorizing different scenarios, it's about determining priorities and balancing those 4 objectives. The priorities are constantly changing and you have to be constantly evaluating them.
a) Visibility - see and be seen. Where in the lane are you most visible, and do you have he best view?
b) Traction - what's the road surface like? Slippery, broken, sandy?
c) Space - how much space to you have beside/ahead/behind you? Do you need more?
d) Protection - are you encouraging or discouraging other motorists from sharing the space? (Blocking Position)

Most often, what's generally considered the correct blocking position will help you achieve all of those objectives. But you don't ride in someone's blindspot because you've memorized it as the proper side of the lane for the lane you're in. If the motorist can't see you, you're not meeting 3 of those objectives! It's far more important to understand and think about your position than it is to memorize scenarios.

One of the other benefits of taking a course is that examiners are riders. They're more likely to understand your decisions. Examiners at drive test that aren't riders have to memorize the scoring criteria. Unfortunately, they may not recognize when you've evaluated a scenario and changed your position as a result, and consider it an error. There is a lot of detail in the scoring criteria, and it is valid. If it's not applied properly though, it can seem a little arbitrary.

Excellent reply, thank you! I do ride with this in mind I am just worried about your last point, that the instructors wont be riders and will consider a good judgement call an error.

I had a point docked on a 1 lane road for improper tire track when a lane opened on the right side and closed within 20-30 meters (no openings or entrances). Meh, it was 1 point.

I would usually take proper blocking position for those 1-2 seconds, but I had the thought in my head that the driving examiner might take that as weaving in my lane.

Not necessarily in the book. For my own protection...Blind corners...i.e RR15 I stay away from the left lane where on many occasions cagers and bikers drift towards the centre lane and cross into where they should not be. To be honest it has saved my buns many a time. Same might apply for getting to the top of hills. Had an idiot biker overtaking into my lane coming towards me in a blind corner.
You would be reading about me in the wrong section on this forum.
I am sure a lot of riders here use their common/experience sense for a safe position. Is it in the rule book?
Hence the saying, "You don`t get many bold riders and you also do not get many old drivers survive taking stupid risks. Even less bold old riders"

Not necessarily in the book. For my own protection...Blind corners...i.e RR15 I stay away from the left lane where on many occasions cagers and bikers drift towards the centre lane and cross into where they should not be. To be honest it has saved my buns many a time. Same might apply for getting to the top of hills. Had an idiot biker overtaking into my lane coming towards me in a blind corner.
You would be reading about me in the wrong section on this forum.
I am sure a lot of riders here use their common/experience sense for a safe position. Is it in the rule book?
Hence the saying, "You don`t get many bold riders and you also do not get many old drivers survive taking stupid risks. Even less bold old riders"
I think people would be surprised how much common sense has been applied to the development of the marking criteria for the m2 exit test. Changing lanes/position for better visibility around a curve or cresting a hill IS perfectly acceptable (unless you're weaving in and out of a position all the way through the curve). I would consider a demerit point for someone who didn't move to get a better look. I think where it may break down is in the application of the scoring criteria. The rider is supposed to get the benefit of the doubt, but who knows what the examiners are going to think or what frame of mind they're in when following.

I think people would be surprised how much common sense has been applied to the development of the marking criteria for the m2 exit test. Changing lanes/position for better visibility around a curve or cresting a hill IS perfectly acceptable (unless you're weaving in and out of a position all the way through the curve). I would consider a demerit point for someone who didn't move to get a better look. I think where it may break down is in the application of the scoring criteria. The rider is supposed to get the benefit of the doubt, but who knows what the examiners are going to think or what frame of mind they're in when following.

One more question for you since you seem to have the info :)

There are two lanes, one going straight through the intersection, one to allow traffic to turn left. I am in left lane waiting to turn left. To my right traffic is going through the intersection. Am I supposed to be in the right tire track of the turning lane, or should I be in left tire track to be more visible to oncoming traffic?

Naturally, I stay to the right tire track to protect my lane, dunno if I have the wrong mentality here? When I turn left, I am turning into a single lane (each way) road, so I take the left tire track position after my turn.

Thanks for clarifying :)

There are two lanes, one going straight through the intersection, one to allow traffic to turn left. I am in left lane waiting to turn left. To my right traffic is going through the intersection. Am I supposed to be in the right tire track of the turning lane, or should I be in left tire track to be more visible to oncoming traffic?

Naturally, I stay to the right tire track to protect my lane, dunno if I have the wrong mentality here? When I turn left, I am turning into a single lane (each way) road, so I take the left tire track position after my turn.

this is one of those "it depends" situations. Presumabaly, when you said "one to allow traffic to turn left" you meant a left turn lane - one that only turns left and does not proceed through the intersection. In that case, the general idea would be to block the traffic to your right on the approach to the intersection. Once you cross the line and into the intersection, blocking is irrelevant, visibility and space are your top priorities. While you're sitting out there waiting to turn, you may want to move more to the left so that you can see and be seen.
Unless you have multiple turn lanes, the HTA says turn from the leftmost to the leftmost lane. In your example of a single lane, that's pretty easy. By the time you've straightened up from the turn you should be in the correct tire track, which would likely be the left in your example.

right track

Right track. Left track is a sucker bet.
If the pickup behind you thinks you're too slow they will move around you to the right.

Back
Top Bottom