Penalties for concealing plate | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Penalties for concealing plate

Wow, that's horrible. I hope your insurance doesn't rake you over the coals too bad for that one. For the next one make sure you fight it, doesn't matter if it's 3km/h over the speed limit or $65 forgetting your insurance paper, same to your insurance company as doing 45km/h over the limit in a school zone!!
Does insurance care about a plate ticket? I thought they only cared about moving violations.

Does insurance care about a plate ticket? I thought they only cared about moving violations.
They sure do :( They just count convictions, i.e. "your tint is too dark, your headlights are too blue, your stereo was too loud" all counted against my insurance :(

to the best of my knowledge, only moving violations get attached to your license and insurance companies only get to see whats on your license in order to make rates.

if another driver (driving your car) gets caught with a tail light out, and they get a ticked, the ticket is attached to the vehicle, not the owners license.

again, to the best of my knowledge.

They sure do :( They just count convictions, i.e. "your tint is too dark, your headlights are too blue, your stereo was too loud" all counted against my insurance :(

You should look into that. IBC outlines minor/major/serious convictions, and all are moving violations. Vehicle issues are entirely separate.

to the best of my knowledge, only moving violations get attached to your license and insurance companies only get to see whats on your license in order to make rates.

if another driver (driving your car) gets caught with a tail light out, and they get a ticked, the ticket is attached to the vehicle, not the owners license.

again, to the best of my knowledge.

You should look into that. IBC outlines minor/major/serious convictions, and all are moving violations. Vehicle issues are entirely separate.

Here is the official list (starting on page 12).
http://www.ibc.ca/en/car_insurance/documents/brochure/faq_on brochure_eng.pdf

Almost everything in the list is moving violations but there are equipment related tickets (Brakes – none/inadequate/improper –
any type, Headlights/parking lights –improper/lack of use – any type, Tires – defective/worn – any type).

Based on this list, obstructed plate shouldn't affect your insurance, but if the cop issued a ticket for improper lighting of the plate it might?

For the purposes of 407 toll evasion.... Criminal code...

380. Fraud

380. (1) Every one who, by deceit, falsehood or other fraudulent means, whether or not it is a false pretence within the meaning of this Act, defrauds the public or any person, whether ascertained or not, of any property, money or valuable security or any service,

(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to a term of imprisonment not exceeding fourteen years, where the subject-matter of the offence is a testamentary instrument or the value of the subject-matter of the offence exceeds five thousand dollars; or

(b) is guilty

(i) of an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years, or

(ii) of an offence punishable on summary conviction,

where the value of the subject-matter of the offence does not exceed five thousand dollars.

Minimum punishment

(1.1) When a person is prosecuted on indictment and convicted of one or more offences referred to in subsection (1), the court that imposes the sentence shall impose a minimum punishment of imprisonment for a term of two years if the total value of the subject-matter of the offences exceeds one million dollars.

For the purposes of 407 toll evasion.... Criminal code...

380. Fraud

380. (1) Every one who, by deceit, falsehood or other fraudulent means, whether or not it is a false pretence within the meaning of this Act, defrauds the public or any person, whether ascertained or not, of any property, money or valuable security or any service,

(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to a term of imprisonment not exceeding fourteen years, where the subject-matter of the offence is a testamentary instrument or the value of the subject-matter of the offence exceeds five thousand dollars; or

(b) is guilty

(i) of an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years, or

(ii) of an offence punishable on summary conviction,

where the value of the subject-matter of the offence does not exceed five thousand dollars.

Minimum punishment

(1.1) When a person is prosecuted on indictment and convicted of one or more offences referred to in subsection (1), the court that imposes the sentence shall impose a minimum punishment of imprisonment for a term of two years if the total value of the subject-matter of the offences exceeds one million dollars.

Criminal Code charges are extremely unlikely, give the existence of specific HTA charges.

Kind of bringing up a old thread and i apologize but has anyone been towed for a hidden/concealled plate. I read that one of you guys said if it is unmounted you will be but if it is mounted is it just the 85$ ticket and thats it? I have had cops behind me before and sit on my tail with no issues just curious if you get that one miserable one that just wants to be an ***** about it. Im not so worried about tickets as i am about being towed and left on the roadside. Also got me thinking. IF you were to be pulled over for a invisible plate could you on the spot adjust it and make the cop wait?

Kind of bringing up a old thread and i apologize but has anyone been towed for a hidden/concealled plate. I read that one of you guys said if it is unmounted you will be but if it is mounted is it just the 85$ ticket and thats it? I have had cops behind me before and sit on my tail with no issues just curious if you get that one miserable one that just wants to be an ***** about it. Im not so worried about tickets as i am about being towed and left on the roadside. Also got me thinking. IF you were to be pulled over for a invisible plate could you on the spot adjust it and make the cop wait?

Good luck with that one...lol The charge is for operating with a concealed plate, there is no provision that says if you can fix it roadside then it is all good. If it is that easily fixable then why not just make the adjustment BEFORE you hit the road? Copper always has the option of towing, why risk it? just get the plate properly mounted. Remember, even if you get a super nice copper who doesn't charge you it will be recorded as a warning in the in vehicle system. So next time a copper is sitting behind you and runs the bikes plate, he will see you wrre warned and then he is much more likely to ticket and tow. So why draw the added scrutiny? Once they have you pulled over then they can start looking for other violations this one is an easy one to avoid.

My plate was falling off the other day so I just pulled it off the rest of the way and rode home. Didn't have any issues but I didn't notice any cops, either. Don't use tiny zip ties to hold your plate on. Especially when it's cold.

They actually have a GREAT tool to prevent this... I think they are called nuts and bolts..lmao

My plate was falling off the other day so I just pulled it off the rest of the way and rode home. Didn't have any issues but I didn't notice any cops, either. Don't use tiny zip ties to hold your plate on. Especially when it's cold.

I don't understand how people complain when they intentionally try to cover their plate and then get a ticket. Riding on the 401 the other day and a guy with 07ish gsxr 1000 had his plate in front of the rear fender and on such an angle I couldn't see it until I was almost beside him. Almost guaranteed he'd be the first to whine and complain if he got popped for it. It's like people expect the cop to take pity on them. What would the officer say? "It's ok... there, there dumbass....." :dontknow:

They actually have a GREAT tool to prevent this... I think they are called nuts and bolts..lmao
Holes don't line up. There's a different part you add to the fender depending on what country you're in. Since the bikes were imported not street legal, they didn't come with that part (or turn signals, etc). I could order or make an adapter plate but I've been lazy and have lots of zip ties. I just used bigger ones now. Although I was too lazy to cut them so the wider ones are also longer so now I have like 10" of extra zip ties stocking of the back of my bike, lol.

Holes don't line up. There's a different part you add to the fender depending on what country you're in. Since the bikes were imported not street legal, they didn't come with that part (or turn signals, etc). I could order or make an adapter plate but I've been lazy and have lots of zip ties. I just used bigger ones now. Although I was too lazy to cut them so the wider ones are also longer so now I have like 10" of extra zip ties stocking of the back of my bike, lol.

Watch it Harper will put you on the terrorist list.. weapons of mass destruction..lol

Not a bike plate but the other day a minivan pulled in front of me and the rear plate was totally rusted. At first I thought it was missing but then I saw the date sticker. They don't rust out overnight so I wonder how long it takes for a totally unreadable plate to be noticed.

Back
Top Bottom