Penalties for concealing plate | GTAMotorcycle.com

Penalties for concealing plate

drumstyx

I happened upon the Aerostitch lane share tool (http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-lane-share-tool.html) today, and it got me thinking what the penalties might be in Ontario for being caught with one of those. Aside from losing credibility entirely (I'm sure the cop will throw the book at you), what are the direct penalties?

As far as I can tell, it would be an $85 fine (http://www.street-legal.ca/traffic-ticket-ontario-court-fines-penalties.php) plus a $20 victim surcharge (http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_000161_e.htm) for a total of $105, and to top it off, it is not a violation that would affect insurance (http://www.ibc.ca/en/car_insurance/documents/brochure/faq_on brochure_eng.pdf).

Am I wrong? Would a cop just throw HTA 172 at you (because of course, they can charge you with that for no reason at all)?

To be clear, I'm not out to be reckless, and I probably won't even get this, but I'm just curious as to what threat might keep someone from getting this. Because, to me, a $105 fine even once every year would be worth the ability to lane share...

I happened upon the Aerostitch lane share tool (http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-lane-share-tool.html) today, and it got me thinking what the penalties might be in Ontario for being caught with one of those. Aside from losing credibility entirely (I'm sure the cop will throw the book at you), what are the direct penalties?

As far as I can tell, it would be an $85 fine (http://www.street-legal.ca/traffic-ticket-ontario-court-fines-penalties.php) plus a $20 victim surcharge (http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_000161_e.htm) for a total of $105, and to top it off, it is not a violation that would affect insurance (http://www.ibc.ca/en/car_insurance/documents/brochure/faq_on brochure_eng.pdf).

Am I wrong? Would a cop just throw HTA 172 at you (because of course, they can charge you with that for no reason at all)?

To be clear, I'm not out to be reckless, and I probably won't even get this, but I'm just curious as to what threat might keep someone from getting this. Because, to me, a $105 fine even once every year would be worth the ability to lane share...

There will also be a $5 court cost, that will bring the total to $110. Penalty for obstructing plate is one thing, what you choose to do while your plate is obstructed may be another. And if riding like a hoon, you certainly run the risk of additional charges. If you're on the 407, you could be charged for toll evasion. Definitely a case of buyer beware.

There will also be a $5 court cost, that will bring the total to $110. Penalty for obstructing plate is one thing, what you choose to do while your plate is obstructed may be another. And if riding like a hoon, you certainly run the risk of additional charges. If you're on the 407, you could be charged for toll evasion. Definitely a case of buyer beware.

Yep, I figure that. I ride a cruiser, so the only practical thing I could use this for is, truly, lane filtering, as my bike is no speed demon. I guess the idea is that:

1. No one is going to call my plate in
2. If I happen to filter past a cop in a car, he can't call my plate ahead (probably evading if caught I guess...)

I don't take the 407, but on that note: is the message on the plates (say, "LANE SHARE TEST") enough to identify me on a 407 camera? Like, someone sees that I have an 'unreadable plate', cops catch me on the 407, but my plate is then visible; is having the flip plate with that message enough for them to 'know' it was me and slam me with whatever charges that entails?

The bottom line that I was wondering about, though, is "what's the worst that could happen if I were pulled over for speeding, and found to have a flippable plate". I think the answer to that is at worst something to do with improper display, which, as you say, is $110, and a non-moving violation. Obviously doing anything stupid with plates concealed would give you a good HTA beating.

Yep, I figure that. I ride a cruiser, so the only practical thing I could use this for is, truly, lane filtering, as my bike is no speed demon. I guess the idea is that:

1. No one is going to call my plate in
2. If I happen to filter past a cop in a car, he can't call my plate ahead (probably evading if caught I guess...)

I don't take the 407, but on that note: is the message on the plates (say, "LANE SHARE TEST") enough to identify me on a 407 camera? Like, someone sees that I have an 'unreadable plate', cops catch me on the 407, but my plate is then visible; is having the flip plate with that message enough for them to 'know' it was me and slam me with whatever charges that entails?

The bottom line that I was wondering about, though, is "what's the worst that could happen if I were pulled over for speeding, and found to have a flippable plate". I think the answer to that is at worst something to do with improper display, which, as you say, is $110, and a non-moving violation. Obviously doing anything stupid with plates concealed would give you a good HTA beating.

I would say you're probably right that no one will call your plate in - but they will still call, and will still describe your bike, rider's gear, or any other identifiers that they see. If you're lane splitting, you are already looking at two charges, one for the plate and one for the moving violation. The 407 wants to read your plate for the purpose of billing, and unless the plate is visible they can't do that easily.

Worst that could happen? As you say, probably a good HTA beating. However, the HTA can give quite a beating...

I love how a private company (407) has so much power and actually uses our own provincial police to enforce laws on a private roadway.

F*)(k the 407 and their greedy outrageous prices. Flip plates FTW .. :)

i recently just got a ticket for my licence plate being under my exhaust in halton hills area, cop pulled up beside me after leaving his little speed trap in school zone asked me to pull over to the school once i approach the lights, did so, came over addressed me by my name already ( clearly read my plate) and said my plate was illegal and un readable by red light cameras and 407... and that i could fix it and take it to court to get to dropped or reduced....I asked what are some acceptable option to fix it, he couldn't me suggestions. Thank you mr officer!

So you have under tail exhaust and the plate below? Never heard of anyone getting it for that unless it's below and closer to your seat area instead of under the rear of the pipe (s)

There's also the issue that the plate remains the property of The Province and might be pulled, to be returned to MTO. Additionally, if the office is of a mind, he could charge under the Toll Highways portion of the HTA (Section 191.3), which could result in the immediate removal of said device at the roadside. On one occasion I witnessed an OPP officer rather ungently remove an integrated RADAR detector he had found. Granted, this was some years ago, but I wouldn't want any vehicle of mine be subjected to the treatment I witnessed.

And then, with no plate or an inability to mount a plate, the bike would be subject to tow.

Not really for the officer to recommend, ways to "fix it". The obvious "acceptable" fix is to put it back to it's stock mounting position and angle. Have you been for your first appearance yet? If not and you haven't fixed it I would recommend taking pictures showing it's current location and mount and then photos after you have moved it to the stock location. Take these photos with you. If you choose to leave it in the stock location is your decision but you can show it was "fixed".

i recently just got a ticket for my licence plate being under my exhaust in halton hills area, cop pulled up beside me after leaving his little speed trap in school zone asked me to pull over to the school once i approach the lights, did so, came over addressed me by my name already ( clearly read my plate) and said my plate was illegal and un readable by red light cameras and 407... and that i could fix it and take it to court to get to dropped or reduced....I asked what are some acceptable option to fix it, he couldn't me suggestions. Thank you mr officer!

There's also the issue that the plate remains the property of The Province and might be pulled, to be returned to MTO. Additionally, if the office is of a mind, he could charge under the Toll Highways portion of the HTA (Section 191.3), which could result in the immediate removal of said device at the roadside. On one occasion I witnessed an OPP officer rather ungently remove an integrated RADAR detector he had found. Granted, this was some years ago, but I wouldn't want any vehicle of mine be subjected to the treatment I witnessed.

And then, with no plate or an inability to mount a plate, the bike would be subject to tow.
Friend of mine had one that worked like a calculator screen. It was like a single pixel that would go black when powered up. Used it for years on the 407. Wiring came loose one day and it was flickering or went black when he didn't know or something so he got caught. Cop made him remove it and cut the wiring and then smashed it on the side of the road.

Then he got a bill from the 407 for $500 in fees he had avoided. He was happy to pay it because he figured he probably owed them thousands by that point. He used to run the whole length of the 407 several times a week.

i bought already modified ( funny enough from a peel cop) so just how it is , i know the obvious answer, just playing stupid with the officer:lmao:i just ended up paying the 110 fine and leaving it, i really didnt feel like coming up with a solution to fix it ... if it happens again ill just deal with it then.

Not really for the officer to recommend, ways to "fix it". The obvious "acceptable" fix is to put it back to it's stock mounting position and angle. Have you been for your first appearance yet? If not and you haven't fixed it I would recommend taking pictures showing it's current location and mount and then photos after you have moved it to the stock location. Take these photos with you. If you choose to leave it in the stock location is your decision but you can show it was "fixed".

So you have under tail exhaust and the plate below? Never heard of anyone getting it for that unless it's below and closer to your seat area instead of under the rear of the pipe (s)

yes it sits just behind the exhaust , bike's 07 cbr600rr

Friend of mine had one that worked like a calculator screen. It was like a single pixel that would go black when powered up. Used it for years on the 407. Wiring came loose one day and it was flickering or went black when he didn't know or something so he got caught. Cop made him remove it and cut the wiring and then smashed it on the side of the road.

Then he got a bill from the 407 for $500 in fees he had avoided. He was happy to pay it because he figured he probably owed them thousands by that point. He used to run the whole length of the 407 several times a week.

If the cop is wearing polarized sunglasses then it takes about 2 seconds to catch people who are riding with these.

i bought already modified ( funny enough from a peel cop) so just how it is , i know the obvious answer, just playing stupid with the officer:lmao:i just ended up paying the 110 fine and leaving it, i really didnt feel like coming up with a solution to fix it ... if it happens again ill just deal with it then.
Wow, that's horrible. I hope your insurance doesn't rake you over the coals too bad for that one. For the next one make sure you fight it, doesn't matter if it's 3km/h over the speed limit or $65 forgetting your insurance paper, same to your insurance company as doing 45km/h over the limit in a school zone!!

Flip plates help a lot when you need them to. My bikes will always have a hinge plate, just in case!

I would say you're probably right that no one will call your plate in - but they will still call, and will still describe your bike, rider's gear, or any other identifiers that they see. If you're lane splitting, you are already looking at two charges, one for the plate and one for the moving violation. The 407 wants to read your plate for the purpose of billing, and unless the plate is visible they can't do that easily.

Worst that could happen? As you say, probably a good HTA beating. However, the HTA can give quite a beating...

Unless you (popo) see the guy and maintain visual gear doesn't mean **** all. Throw on a fullface which most sport riders have and a tinted visor, good luck positively id'ing the rider. You have all the reasonable suspicion you want but not any reasonable grounds, am I wrong??

Riding squid with visible tattoos is one worst thing these dumbasses can do for themselves... WEAR GEAR!! Especially if you're looking to possibly having to do evasive ****, all black preferably Ghost Rider style.

This might sound humorous, but I'm being serious, you have no idea how many cops I've told to **** off for snoopin around over ********...I've had enough run ins to know exactly what I can do and what you guys can do, in regards to the situation I'm in and how to best proceed.

Back
Top Bottom