Insuring 2 bikes silmultaniously | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insuring 2 bikes silmultaniously

A really good question for car and bike owner is why are we paying multiples of liability? If I pay car liability, then why pay bike liability? If I'm riding a bike, I cannot be using the car.

You can't be using your car at the same time, but your wife, kids, family members, friends could be........

I've heard that there is a blanket liability policy that you can buy but I haven't investigated it in detail. Basically it covers you when operating motor vehicles that you do not own (ie. borrowing vehicles from friends). This policy would protect you in case your friend did not have enough (or any) insurance. Again, I haven't personally priced it, so this may be something my friend made up.
This is something I'd be interested in since at any time I may own up to 3 cars and 2 bikes and I'm the only one that even has a license in my household and my family all live out of town.

You can't be using your car at the same time, but your wife, kids, family members, friends could be........
I've heard of situations where people had to sign something saying no one else would use their vehicle. Still have to pay double.

I've heard of situations where people had to sign something saying no one else would use their vehicle. Still have to pay double.
I think that is for specific people not to drive, not only one operator as every I surance company will cover claims from friends driving. (As long as their licensed, not impaired, etc)

I think that is for specific people not to drive, not only one operator as every I surance company will cover claims from friends driving. (As long as their licensed, not impaired, etc)
Yes it was in the case where one person owns two cars and there are two licensed drivers in the household. Let's say two university students live together and both have licenses but "Guy A" owns two cars and "Guy B" owns none. Guy A needs to add Guy B to his insurance policy, in most cases, unless he gets something that says Guy B won't be driving his vehicles. But even then, Guy A pays approximately double (may be less, may be more, depending on the company and policy). He can share his cars with anyone except Guy B now simply because Guy B lives with him.

It's still a dumb way to do things, IMO.

Now that I think about it, this may be why when I was with BelairDirect they wanted more than double when I had two Jettas. Because they knew my sister lived at home as well (I also did at the time) and was an occasional driver on my parents' policy so maybe they assumed she'd be using one of my cars so the rate went up even higher than just double the rate for me (she would have had to pay more for insurance). Although if that was the case they probably should have mentioned something about it to me because really it just ****** me off and I would've happily signed something saying no one in my family is going to drive my vehicles.

Last edited:
I remember back in the early 90's....we had policies for a number of vehicles....basically you payed the rate to cover the most expensive policy, and the other was free and included. Oh those were the days.
You could have a CBR and a KLR......pay the rate for coverage on the CBR sportbike and have free coverage on the KLR dual sport.

Last edited:
That would be awesome!

I remember back in the early 90's....we had policies for a umber of vehicles....basically you payed the rate to cover the most expensive policy, and the other was free and included. Oh those were the days.
You could have a CBR and a KLR......pay the rate for coverage on the CBR sportbike and have free coverage on the KLR dual sport.

Gotta love that.

Maybe I'm being naive in thinking that there weren't so many insurance scammers around back then.

Of course not....but then rates weren't crazy like now either.
I was 17 when moved out on my own. I worked 2 full time jobs, and a part time summer weekend job as well, and bought myself a 3 yr old CBR 600, and a 5 yr old red Dodge Daytona Shelby Z.
Car was $650/ yr full coverage, and CBR was $430/ yr full coverage...as a 17 yr old kid, in my own name.

I was 17 when moved out on my own. I worked 2 full time jobs, and a part time summer weekend job as well, and bought myself a 3 yr old CBR 600, and a 5 yr old red Dodge Daytona Shelby Z...as a 17 yr old kid, in my own name.

Now that's impressive..and signature worthy lol

Of course not....but then rates weren't crazy like now either.
I was 17 when moved out on my own. I worked 2 full time jobs, and a part time summer weekend job as well, and bought myself a 3 yr old CBR 600, and a 5 yr old red Dodge Daytona Shelby Z.
Car was $650/ yr full coverage, and CBR was $430/ yr full coverage...as a 17 yr old kid, in my own name.

Try finding a 17 this day and age that would do that..........
Everyone these days just want to get rich quick with the least amount of effort, Hence why insurance companies are such a big target.
I don't understand how so many kids get all the way to college without ever working a job in their life, I am not looking forward to the younger generations when I get older. They are going to all go full retard....

I've heard that there is a blanket liability policy that you can buy but I haven't investigated it in detail. Basically it covers you when operating motor vehicles that you do not own (ie. borrowing vehicles from friends). This policy would protect you in case your friend did not have enough (or any) insurance. Again, I haven't personally priced it, so this may be something my friend made up.

I pay ~ $19 / yr for this type of coverage.
If I borrow your car, I'm covered by my ins policy.
When I rent a car (which I do often enough to justify the $19), I'm covered by my ins policy.

This is flawed.
I own 1 bike, one pickup truck, and one car.
The wife is a distant memory.
The kids are grown up and on their own.
There are no other family members, and friends only get to use my **** if I'm using theirs.
I can't use ride or drive more than 1 at a time.
Why pay all that liabiliby? I'm being wallet raped.
I've beaten this dead horse over with every ins co I've had a policy with. No go.

If you buy old vehicles you can go the classic car route. I'd go that way with my 944 but they require the car be primarily stored in a permanent garage, which I do not have. They quoted me under $200 a year for that.

Here's a hypothetical situation, since the technology exists. What if your car only started with your fingerprints, facial recognition or retinal scan? Now what if you had two of them? Wonder what the insurance companies would do then?

Here's a hypothetical situation, since the technology exists. What if your car only started with your fingerprints, facial recognition or retinal scan? Now what if you had two of them? Wonder what the insurance companies would do then?

This is not in their best interest profit wise so don't expect much...

Here's a hypothetical situation, since the technology exists. What if your car only started with your fingerprints, facial recognition or retinal scan? Now what if you had two of them? OWonder what the insurance companies would do then?

Retinal is the only one that isn't trivial to defeat. It just seems like more trouble than its worth. What if the scanner breaks or your battery dies, is your vehicle out of commission?

Curious, is it the same across the country or is it provincial? Any other provinces more civilised when it comes to insurance?

Curious, is it the same across the country or is it provincial? Any other provinces more civilised when it comes to insurance?
Ontario has the highest insurance rates in Canada.

You mean do other provinces not stick it in your rear end to insure vehicles? No they don't. Onterrible is a scam when it comes to insurance amongst other things.

Provinces with a more conservative social view are cheaper. Like Alberta "most" (I repeat most) things are cheaper

Back
Top Bottom