BC raises speed limits | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

BC raises speed limits

I have a thing to add to the discussion:

1. I think that people will drive at the speed that they feel comfortable with regardless of the speed limit à take a ride on the 407 at 2:00pm on a Wednesday afternoon, most people in the left lane at travelling between 140-150 km/h, until they come speeding up behind the left lane hog doing 100.
  2. I remember reading a motorway study from the U.K. talking about what happened to accident stats when they dropped the speed limits in the mid 1970’s (in order to reduce fuel consumption after the Arab oil embargo) Accidents went up approx. 10% because people naturally left less space between their vehicle and the vehicle in front, they reduction in speed turned the drivers a little complacent.
  3. Massive speed camera networks suck.
    1. Drive on a highway in the UK and get in an average speed enforcement zone. --> They have photo machines that do not track your speed they take the time of day and compare to time to the other cameras. If you went past camera # 1 at 2:00pm and Camera #7 (38km away from camera #1) at 2:17 you get a ticket for 134 km/h.
    2. Drive on a highway in South Korea, 140 km/h and jam on the brakes down to 110 km/h every 10 km to fool the speed cameras.
  4. Ever drive in Germany? It’s safe to do 210 km/h on the highway because it’s REALLY freaking hard to get licenced in the first place. Maybe if the MTO would put much more effort on educating drivers our roads would be safer due to much better drivers and we could then raise the speed limits on major highways. I would love to see the speed limits raised on the 400 series but the plain simple truth is that the drivers in Canada aren’t very good compared to most of Europe where 130 km/h speed limits are normal

Last edited:
[video=youtube;2BKdbxX1pDw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BKdbxX1pDw[/video]

Would be nice if 120. Racing cap is still 150 to lose car for racing here. Seems fair.
My complaint is those on cell phones and even more common now is people changing lanes all the time without looking.

From BC here, just was reading the local paper where they have snippits of people's comments on new events, 5 out 5 random people interviewed did not like higher speeds, I'm on the fence since don't know much about it one way or other.....but think will like it.

From BC here, just was reading the local paper where they have snippits of people's comments on new events, 5 out 5 random people interviewed did not like higher speeds, I'm on the fence since don't know much about it one way or other.....but think will like it.

There's really not that much to know. With the higher speeds you'll go farther in less time, that's about it really. Anyway, glad you found the basement.

Shockingly I've been warned by the opp twice about speeding on back roads around caledon while using pedal power. The first time I lol'd at the cop and kept going. Second time I stopped and talked to her and asked if she was for real. They'll do anything for a ticket here it seems. :dontknow:

I got stopped doing 62 in a 40 on my bike, they let me go with a warning because I didn't have my license on me. School zone, on a Sunday, in summer.

There's really not that much to know. With the higher speeds you'll go farther in less time, that's about it really. Anyway, glad you found the basement.

And burn more gas and pollute more. Ontario already has really bad air.

I commute from Niagara to Hamilton and back daily, the outside lane is persistently 120Km/H or more all the way to Stoney Creek, where the traffic volume from Beamsville, Grimsby and Hamilton builds to a near standstill at the Burlington Skyway at 7:45am. The inside and middle lane from / to Niagara are usually confined to 105Km/H by truck traffic. Changing the speed limit out here won't help with the root problem - congestion in highly populated areas. You'll see the same thing at 4pm trying to crawl through Stoney Creek to Niagara, near deadlock until 6pm. Increasing the speed limit will help some, but it's not a cure for rush hour traffic.

The other thing that tends to make a 45 minute commute stretch - the accident. We don't have a 'good' alternate for the QEW, so I've sat and waited my way through many cleanups. When do they occur? Usually smack dab in the middle of the rush.

Having said all of that - yeah, you'll find me in the outside lane, running @ 120 on the way to work; 105 in the middle lane on the way home.

FWIW, my service van (all 7800 Lbs of it) will return 12.5 L/100K at 105 Km/H, 14.6 at 120 Km/H, the difference of 1 full trip to or from Niagara/Hamilton per tank.

Actually, if every one actually drove the speed limit on the 401, congestion would be lower to begin with (until it got clogged up enough to slow/stop it).

"The speed should be reduced until there are no more accidents" is jokes. The most recent in a very very long series of gags. I like it.

Yea like the poster taking pictures but was not the poster taking pictures very confusing at the Twiligt Zone motorcycle forum.....where black is white and white is black.

''
BC is always a higher province we have good growing conditions hidden in the thick forrests...

Last edited:
Actually, if every one actually drove the speed limit on the 401, congestion would be lower to begin with (until it got clogged up enough to slow/stop it).

The benefit will be marginal. I can make the trip driveway to driveway home/work at 120 in 45 minutes on off hours. I can make the same trip at 105 in 50 minutes - most of which in both scenarios is crawling up or down the Redhill. Is having each vehicle be on the road 5 minutes less (in ideal conditions) actually going to ease congesition? Over the length of both rush hours, yes for folks in your area. Over the length of one trip / person? I just don't see it I guess.

I don't see very many people NOT doing 100. Forcing seniors / soccer moms to pickup the pace might be interesting.

5 minutes saved in a 50 minute commute for everyone would result in a probable 10% less congestion. They're off the road 5 minutes earlier. That's how it works.

Where the math gets a bit more complex is... what if the same amount of cars enter the highway at the sames times every day and drive the same distance? Will congestion go down in that case? Of course, that's not entirely realistic but it's somewhat plausible. In *general*, speed does have a direct relationship to congestion, but there are exceptions.

10% isn't marginal, though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom