BC raises speed limits | GTAMotorcycle.com

BC raises speed limits

Finally some sanity. 140-150 it is.

http://www.vancouversun.com/raises+speed+limits+number+highways/9993984/story.html

It would be nice if sanity were to prevail on the 400 series as well...

Everyone does 120 now anyway, but if limit was changed to 120km/h.. I could see OPP sitting there all day busting people going 130km/h in a 120 zone.

Though I like this part: He said the province will also change legislation to give better enforcement tools to police so they can ticket slow-moving drivers who refuse to pull into the right lane and clog up traffic in the left passing lane.

Everyone does 120 now anyway, but if limit was changed to 120km/h.. I could see OPP sitting there all day busting people going 130km/h in a 120 zone.

Though I like this part: He said the province will also change legislation to give better enforcement tools to police so they can ticket slow-moving drivers who refuse to pull into the right lane and clog up traffic in the left passing lane.

At least they would be handing out tickets for people going 130 in a 120 vs 130 in a 100.

At least they would be handing out tickets for people going 130 in a 120 vs 130 in a 100.

Some how some way they will figure out how to "serve you better"

He said the province will also change legislation to give better enforcement tools to police so they can ticket slow-moving drivers who refuse to pull into the right lane and clog up traffic in the left passing lane.

Oh Ontario.

Of course on the radio this morning they are not talking about this, but that 'study' again stating speed limits should be lowered to 30km/h inside the city and 40km/h outside, to limit pedestrian injuries or deaths should they step out directly in front of a moving vehicle. They even say people would be 'happier to go slower'....ugh

http://www.thestar.com/bigideas/2014/07/02/big_idea_30kmh_speed_limit_to_fight_city_congestion.html

I'm sure TPS and OPP would be all over this law -- They could finally start ticketing cyclists for speeding on our roadways...

Of course on the radio this morning they are not talking about this, but that 'study' again stating speed limits should be lowered to 30km/h inside the city... SNIP

They've basically achieved that already in Waterloo - yes, speed limits vary, and go up to 60 km/h in city, but with intentional off-setting of traffic lights for "traffic calming" reasons, your average speed is likely around 30-35 km/h as is. Sure, the reduced damage in collision side effect is not achieved due to the higher speeds being reached, but traffic is slowed.

Interesting experiment, maybe we get some trickle down? Sask already has limits of 110.

the biggest challenge will be that if the limits were 120, people would probably all go 140-150.

To play Devils Advocate, would you accept photo radar back if the limits were move to 120-130 a a zero tolerance measure? I know the argurements re: no points, purely a cash machine, license to the wealthy to speed and various privacy issues...

To play Devils Advocate, would you accept photo radar back if the limits were move to 120-130 a a zero tolerance measure? I know the argurements re: no points, purely a cash machine, license to the wealthy to speed and various privacy issues...

I like the UK concept of speed cameras which we will never see here -- Find an area/corner with a high accident/fatality rate, put a camera in place and post signs in advance warning as well as on the Internet. The point of the camera isn't so much to fine as it is to get people to reduce speed at that one spot which should in theory reduce accidents. Again, makes too much sense and too little money for it to happen in Ontario.

They've basically achieved that already in Waterloo - yes, speed limits vary, and go up to 60 km/h in city, but with intentional off-setting of traffic lights for "traffic calming" reasons, your average speed is likely around 30-35 km/h as is. Sure, the reduced damage in collision side effect is not achieved due to the higher speeds being reached, but traffic is slowed.

I wonder if they consider the emissions impact when you pull off crap like this.

Of course on the radio this morning they are not talking about this, but that 'study' again stating speed limits should be lowered to 30km/h inside the city and 40km/h outside, to limit pedestrian injuries or deaths should they step out directly in front of a moving vehicle. They even say people would be 'happier to go slower'....ugh

http://www.thestar.com/bigideas/2014/07/02/big_idea_30kmh_speed_limit_to_fight_city_congestion.html

I'm sure TPS and OPP would be all over this law -- They could finally start ticketing cyclists for speeding on our roadways...

On the Triumph T595 I had, 30kph would barely be above idle!

Shockingly I've been warned by the opp twice about speeding on back roads around caledon while using pedal power. The first time I lol'd at the cop and kept going. Second time I stopped and talked to her and asked if she was for real. They'll do anything for a ticket here it seems. :dontknow:

Shockingly I've been warned by the opp twice about speeding on back roads around caledon while using pedal power. The first time I lol'd at the cop and kept going. Second time I stopped and talked to her and asked if she was for real. They'll do anything for a ticket here it seems. :dontknow:

I've gone faster than the speed limit numerous times on my bicycle...never a cop around to give me a ticket though...I'd frame the thing LOL

I've gone faster than the speed limit numerous times on my bicycle...never a cop around to give me a ticket though...I'd frame the thing LOL

I've seen them actually chase people for them in Calgary. Not here though.

the biggest challenge will be that if the limits were 120, people would probably all go 140-150.

Studies say otherwise. People gravitate to 120km/h EVEN WHEN IT'S AGAINST THE LAW.

I like the UK concept of speed cameras which we will never see here -- Find an area/corner with a high accident/fatality rate, put a camera in place and post signs in advance warning as well as on the Internet. The point of the camera isn't so much to fine as it is to get people to reduce speed at that one spot which should in theory reduce accidents. Again, makes too much sense and too little money for it to happen in Ontario.

I lived in a country with speed cameras for two years and even though they were very well hidden everyone knew where the were and they would all slam on their brakes
and then gas again right after. They will catch the idiot who doesn't learn where they are so I guess that's good lol

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Studies say otherwise. People gravitate to 120km/h EVEN WHEN IT'S AGAINST THE LAW.

interesting? Do the studies cite any reason why 120 is the magic number?

I would admit that 120 would be the spped that I would target to cruise along the highway at, of course when the speed limit would allow. In some of the states (mid-west) I have been where the speed limit is 75mph (or 120kph) it felt right :)

In California park rangers on bicycles actually enforce the speed limits and give real speeding tickets...

Back
Top Bottom