Most basic cellphone/plan | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Most basic cellphone/plan

Rogers has rogers one number to block unwanted calls. The call just gets a message saying the customer isn't available, they don't get voicemail and your phone doesn't ring. They also have a text blocking feature. All you do is text the number to be blocked to a certain number and it's blocked from texting you.

Anyone have any experience with Wind Mobile? Wondering how they are for Vaughan and up the 400/11 cottage country.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Anyone have any experience with Wind Mobile? Wondering how they are for Vaughan and up the 400/11 cottage country.

You get what you pay for.

Cottage country, and outside of their 'Zones', you're roaming on Rogers network. $0.20/min phone calls to anywhere in Canada and $0.15/send a text message. It's something like $1/MB if you use data as well while roaming.

It's DECENT in Vaughan and surrounding area, so long as you're closer to one of their towers. Check out a coverage map on their website. Building penetration, underground, basements, elevators, etc. aren't very good at all as they use the AWS frequency spectrum for their services (1700Mhz) which also means you need a phone capable of doing that. Most newer phones have pentaband antenna's (Nokia Lumia 920, Blackberry Z30, iPhone 5S (made after April 2013), etc) that will work with Wind if they're unlocked.

I've had no issues making calls or sending texts when riding up north, just be aware of the charges ahead of time. For the $40/mth that I pay, it works for me and my needs. Bottom line, it'll work 98% of the time. YMMV.

I cant believe the cost of monthly plans these days.

Started shopping around to see what everyone else had. Montly plans are like $80 now .. YIKES.

Fell back into a corporate plan for $52 with ALL the options including 6 gigs of data.

nfq, that is my thought exactly. For the few times that I will need the out of zone coverage, I'll pay the extra. I'm in the GTA 90% of the time anyway.
The only other thing was in the case of a vehicular breakdown on the way up north.

nfq, that is my thought exactly. For the few times that I will need the out of zone coverage, I'll pay the extra. I'm in the GTA 90% of the time anyway.
The only other thing was in the case of a vehicular breakdown on the way up north.

I've been with them for a couple of years and haven't had any horror stories or issues. The phone works when I need it to. I also travel quite a bit throughout the year and their roaming rates are top notch (especially now with the unlimited US for $15). Billing and stuff is straight forward, what you see is what you pay, no hidden fees or charges, just add HST. Anything you need to do can be done online or from the phone directly by dialing a sequence of numbers (*123# and then a menu pops up).

My best advice? find a cheap phone on kijiji or borrow one from a friend that can work on Wind, sign up for their pay before service and use it for a week/month. see if you have any dead spots/zones etc where you frequent. It'll cost you a case of beer but you'll know if it's for you or not. If it works, great, if not, at least now you know.

Good luck.

I have had this Bell basic plan (Text and Talk) for years. Pay only $24 (with tax) per month. They don't offer it anymore.

Includes unlimited weekend and over 300 texts. More than enough for me.

Last edited:
I have had this Bell basic plan (Text and Talk) for years. Pay only $24 (with tax) per month. They don't offer it anymore.

Includes unlimited weekend and over 300 texts. More than enough for me.

Here we have, ladies and gentlemen, my nomination for the most useless post of the year.

Doesn't even sound like that great of a plan.

I found another okay deal out there just yesterday.

I am leaving on a trip to Newfoundland soon, and I discovered that my Petro Mobility account has zero coverage outside of St. Johns and absolutely nothing in Labrador. So I started looking around and it seems that to have coverage in those areas I need Bell/Virgin or Telus/Koodo.

What I ended up getting was Koodo prepaid -- $15 a month for unlimited texts; that is called the base plan that you pay every month. From there you buy 'add-ons' that do not expire and roll over as long as you pay the base plan. So you can buy 500 calling minutes for $25, and you have them until you use them up. You can buy 1GB of data for $30, and you have it until you burn it all.

This is probably a crap deal for those of you that are heavy users, but for me I could see 500 calling minutes and 1gb of data probably lasting 6 months as I rarely use the phone away from wifi and when I do it is for texting.

In the end, it will probably end up being cheaper for me on Koodo than on Petro Mobility. I've been using data on PM and typically use about 150mb/month, which costs me $15 plus whatever I spend on texts and phone calls -- usually another $10/month or so. Koodo will cost me $15 for the month plus another $5 for the data I use.

Would be cool to get FreedomPop here in Canada. Free 200 min, 500 mb and 300 texts. Did I mention FREE? I could do with that.

Bell is absolutely horrible. They have so many hidden fees and **** ups. I would not go with them if I had the choice.

Horrible Horrible organization.

I found another okay deal out there just yesterday.

I am leaving on a trip to Newfoundland soon, and I discovered that my Petro Mobility account has zero coverage outside of St. Johns and absolutely nothing in Labrador. So I started looking around and it seems that to have coverage in those areas I need Bell/Virgin or Telus/Koodo.

What I ended up getting was Koodo prepaid -- $15 a month for unlimited texts; that is called the base plan that you pay every month. From there you buy 'add-ons' that do not expire and roll over as long as you pay the base plan. So you can buy 500 calling minutes for $25, and you have them until you use them up. You can buy 1GB of data for $30, and you have it until you burn it all.

This is probably a crap deal for those of you that are heavy users, but for me I could see 500 calling minutes and 1gb of data probably lasting 6 months as I rarely use the phone away from wifi and when I do it is for texting.

In the end, it will probably end up being cheaper for me on Koodo than on Petro Mobility. I've been using data on PM and typically use about 150mb/month, which costs me $15 plus whatever I spend on texts and phone calls -- usually another $10/month or so. Koodo will cost me $15 for the month plus another $5 for the data I use.
sounds like you experienced this problem from Robbers where they tie competitors who buy their network services (like Petro) into exclusive contracts.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rogers-wireless-roaming-rates-discriminatory-crtc-says-1.2724130

Otherwise you should have had no problem jumping onto the Bell network without needing an additional subscription.

sounds like you experienced this problem from Robbers where they tie competitors who buy their network services (like Petro) into exclusive contracts.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rogers-wireless-roaming-rates-discriminatory-crtc-says-1.2724130

Otherwise you should have had no problem jumping onto the Bell network without needing an additional subscription.
It's possible that my petro mobility card on the Rogers network might roam on the bell network up there, but their coverage maps don't indicate that any coverage is available outside of St John's.

Just to be safe I went with a company that advertises coverage there. I'll have the pm sim as well as a T-Mobile Sim with me to try though, just in case they roam.

It's possible that my petro mobility card on the Rogers network might roam on the bell network up there, but their coverage maps don't indicate that any coverage is available outside of St John's.

Just to be safe I went with a company that advertises coverage there. I'll have the pm sim as well as a T-Mobile Sim with me to try though, just in case they roam.
No, what I'm understanding is that PM could very easily use the Bell network if Rogers allowed them to. But their agreement prevents them from doing so, which is why the CRTC had to step in and add a rule stopping the kind of exclusive network sharing agreement that Rogers has been forcing on PM and other small providers.

If the phone is unlocked you might be able to use Rogers. My factory unlocked phone with a Telus SIM will list Rogers under the available networks if I search network operators. Never tried connecting to it, though. No point since Bell and Telus have more coverage.

Back
Top Bottom