Most basic cellphone/plan | GTAMotorcycle.com

Most basic cellphone/plan

inreb

Site Supporter
Get by with landline just fine, gave up cell couple years ago. Feeling vulnerable on the road without cellphone. Initial search reveals metric ton of info to wade thru on phones and plans/features. Only need emergency calls to CAA. Could somebody give me a starting point?

The best for minimal usage is 7-eleven speakout. They use the Rogers network, so coverage is decent, and their top-ups last for 365 days. Is $25/year cheap enough?

Lots of companies offer pay as you go options for $100/yr.

Also, Telus has a $17.30 EPP plan that is pretty basic.

Lastly, any phone can call 911 whether you pay the bill or not. Pretty sure it doesn't even need a SIM card.

Why anyone would have a landline instead of a cell phone in this day is unknown to me (same with cable TV). Cell plans are generally cheaper and more convenient.

Last edited:
Bell Mobility.
$12.50 / month (top up plan).
Buy / provide your own phone.
I've had it for years. Will not change.
Fewer dead spots than other providers.
Roam Mobility Sim card for US travel.....couple bucks a day.

Perfect! Thanks guys.

end thread

Bell Mobility.
$12.50 / month (top up plan).
Buy / provide your own phone.
I've had it for years. Will not change.
Fewer dead spots than other providers.
Roam Mobility Sim card for US travel.....couple bucks a day.

OK Gary you just made it under the wire. I will look at that as well. thx.

OK Gary you just made it under the wire. I will look at that as well. thx.

edit: oh wait, I asked my buddy about that couple weeks ago, apparently not taking new subscribers. I'm pretty sure but will recheck.

edit: oh wait, I asked my buddy about that couple weeks ago, apparently not taking new subscribers. I'm pretty sure but will recheck.

Wouldn't surprise me.
I get 2 calls a day from Bell Mobility begging me to pay more every month for the same service via another plan (monthly).
They don't understand why I don't want to pay more for the same service.

The best for minimal usage is 7-eleven speakout. They use the Rogers network, so coverage is decent, and their top-ups last for 365 days. Is $25/year cheap enough?
Thanks for this. I have family visiting me & would love to get them a phone

Good info. Currently I am on my phone a bit too much IMHO. I am really considering dropping my awesome unlimited talk & long distance + 6 gigs to a basic plan. Looking at a phone all the time is bordering schizophrenia. I will miss google maps and streaming music... but $80*12=an extra week of vacation a year.

Tried to go the Petro Canada route, came up empty at my convenient location. I sure hope they're not putting the elcheapo phone on the web as an enticer.
It was funny. I paid inside for gas and confirmed with the nice lady about phones here. I went outside to get the truck and trailer off the pumps, went back inside to look at the display and the nice lady intercepts me with one of those computers they call phones nowadays. LOL, no thanx. I will try another location.
The $100/yr. $24 phone looks good on the website.

Will any of those Petro Can or 7 Eleven plans let you bring your own "real" phone?

Huawei? Alcatel? eeeeeesh.

Most of them are GSM now so as long as your phone is unlocked and supports whatever frequency they're on, it should work with their SIMs.

Out of curiosity - wouldn't it be easier to give up the land line and keep a cellphone?
With new plans you get free long distance in Canada, loads of data - both things great for touring. I have not had a land line for 15 years and don't miss it. Much prefer the mini computer that a today's cellphone is.

Will any of those Petro Can or 7 Eleven plans let you bring your own "real" phone?

Huawei? Alcatel? eeeeeesh.

eeeeeeesh is good enough to get CAA drag you out of the rhubarb

Out of curiosity - wouldn't it be easier to give up the land line and keep a cellphone?
With new plans you get free long distance in Canada, loads of data - both things great for touring. I have not had a land line for 15 years and don't miss it. Much prefer the mini computer that a today's cellphone is.

I suppose it might be but I was paying 60-70 bucks a month when I had the cell, my landline is 25 i think bundled with the internet and tv. Doesn't sound like big money but sometimes I just get fed up with constant automatic drip out of the account. I just want the cell for CAA.

I gave up my land line and am on Virgin pay as you go for $100/yr. I was going to look into the 7/11 deal after I use up my 3 years worth of time....

I gave up my land line and am on Virgin pay as you go for $100/yr. I was going to look into the 7/11 deal after I use up my 3 years worth of time....

Is the 7/11 thing better? They don't sell it in stores, need to go on line. The Petro Canada mobile I had an issue with today but in googling it PC (Presidents Choice) mobility came up. 100/yr and a better minute rate and available all over. I'm gonna get that tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom