Bike won't start? Confused | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike won't start? Confused

danesetti

If anyone can help me it'd be great. My bike is an 09 sv650s, with 37000kms on it. I turn the key, the fuel pump primes, but when I push the starter, nothing. Is it my battery, I'm on the oem one, my lights, turn signals all work so I'm not sure if it's the battery or not. What do you guys think

If you pulled in the clutch and tried the kill switch probably your battery is it the original from 09? Then yes get a new one. Your like the what fourth person with a Sv dead battery this year already lol.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Most sport bike battery's last 3-5 years if yuasa, if it's a ****** brand maybe 1-3 years if your lucky. That's probably your case unless you have a mouse house but most likely a battery will have u riding again, take yours out and bring it to the bike shop ur getting a new one from and they can load test it for you

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

The clutch lever and side stand should have safety lockout switches. Make sure the contacts are good there. Start by jiggling them around.

Take out battery and get a load test, so many bike problems are solved with a new battery, trickle chargers tend to dry out batteries, if you can push start should confirm if a weak battery likely

I've never gotten a push start to work lol.

Do your headlights look dim? When your battery is that close to dying it won't turn over usually the headlights are noticeably dimmer. Of course a $5 voltmeter will probably tell you more.

Do your lights dim when you press ignition? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if its the lockout sensor nothing should, but if its insufficient battery, the bike will try to start ignition and your lights will dim as usual with the ignition held down.

Maybe your starter button is faulty ? clutch lock out, side stand lockout, neutral switch lock out, any other safety lockout/switch, are they all working ?

Jump the solenoid and see if she will crank over..if it has a solenoid....sorry don't know the bike that well...

does it have a run/stop switch, is it in the run position, is it faulty ?

is your starter faulty, does it actually work

get some jumper cables, hook up to car and to bike (car NOT running) does the same thing happen ?

Last edited:
If anyone can help me it'd be great. My bike is an 09 sv650s, with 37000kms on it. I turn the key, the fuel pump primes, but when I push the starter, nothing. Is it my battery, I'm on the oem one, my lights, turn signals all work so I'm not sure if it's the battery or not. What do you guys think

Do you hear anything at all when you push the starter?

Do the dash/headlights stay on or do they shut off when you press it?

Gently tap on the starter or anything sometimes a gentle tap may get a temporary start and isolate the problem.

Not sure why the poster thinks you can not push/jump a bike, unless a completely dead battery with fuel injection, I can jump/push my bike easy makes
it more reliable in some cases, at least have option to start a bike if left my ignition on etc//

Some bikes have a kill switch if bike stand is down, just bypass part to test be sure in N

Before you do anything test fuses even if they look good with a simple voltohm meter..............

Last edited:
lol i have a 09 sv650 with around 35000 and my battery literally just died last week. key wouldn't even turn on any electronics (no dash or anything). its probably your battery

lol i have a 09 sv650 with around 35000 and my battery literally just died last week. key wouldn't even turn on any electronics (no dash or anything). its probably your battery

+1 bikes are very reliable and a new battery often is all needed................but fuse check before any basic tests you don't want to put the horse before the cart.

Harvey

Back
Top Bottom