The One Thing Im Having Trouble with | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The One Thing Im Having Trouble with

Check out rti. Their bikes. Great experienced instructors. You'll learn a lot. If you're going to ride before taking a course be extremely careful. Find a good size parking lot and practice a lot!

Check out rti. Their bikes. Great experienced instructors. You'll learn a lot. If you're going to ride before taking a course be extremely careful. Find a good size parking lot and practice a lot!

Another vote for the RTI course. OP, you are the perfect candidate for this course as they start you out as if you've never seen a motorcycle before. I agree you should use extreme caution or refrain from riding until you have completed a course. Major safety issue.

Op. Pm me.

Im willing to meet in a lot in your area to show you some basics.
I cant really show you how to drag knee or anything but the basics to get you on the road.

This time of year alot of courses are booked. Ill tide you over.

Saying we should be able to ride a bike

without stalling seems as silly as saying we should know where the ignition switch is, that is not basic that's a noob buyer looking at the dealer
showroom.

Coming from someone who just recently got there license and bought a 600cc such as yourself, yes take the course ASAP. You will learn a lot of valuable information, I grew up riding diet bikes so for me it was easy to learn. There was a girl in my class that had never even started a motorcycle before and passed no problems. I myself still have some stalling issues but only at take off but that is me just releasing the clutch to quick or not enough throttle. You will get the hang of it... Time and patience and a lot of it.

Good luck with everything!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Being able to ride the bike without stalling it, that is basic stuff and they will teach you that in the course...
Basics.. stopping, starting, turning, shifting.... disagree if you want...

I absolutely disagree. Sure, the basics are taught in a *weekend* course. But one still has to practice, practice, practice! Confession. I took the course (August, 2009). I had *never* been on a motorcycle before. I was so afraid to downshift, that I didn't. When I had to slow down, I simply used the brake. I passed the course, and got my 'M' last September. Every time I ride I learn something new about myself as a rider and my motorcycle.

I absolutely disagree. Sure, the basics are taught in a *weekend* course. But one still has to practice, practice, practice! Confession. I took the course (August, 2009). I had *never* been on a motorcycle before. I was so afraid to downshift, that I didn't. When I had to slow down, I simply used the brake. I passed the course, and got my 'M' last September. Every time I ride I learn something new about myself as a rider and my motorcycle.

True but over confidence can get us in a pickle pretty fast also :) There's a fine line between riding relaxed and with some fear, I think the fear part will likely help
in keeping us safe, when it gets more fear than relaxation time to hang it in...

Harvey

True but over confidence can get us in a pickle pretty fast also :) There's a fine line between riding relaxed and with some fear, I think the fear part will likely help
in keeping us safe, when it gets more fear than relaxation time to hang it in...

Harvey

Very true, Harvey. btw, I got over my fear of downshifting lol

Just out of curiosity why were you not sure on downshifting? concearns of brake lock? anyway glad it's resolved....................

To be honest, I really don't know what I was afraid of. This was in 2009. On reflection, I think it may have been not really understanding how a motorcycle works? Please remember, before taking the course, i had never been on a motorcycle; certainly knew nothing about 'brake lock' :) I believe my first season of riding, I would coast to a stop. Now, I downshift.

no one said the bike could have a mechanical problem???

OP go out , ride and pull the clutch in, if your bike STALLS WHILE U ARE IN MOTION, you have a problem. I'm curious to know how you said you "ride in neutral"? the bike is not supposed to shift to neutral untill you come to a complete stop

no one said the bike could have a mechanical problem???

OP go out , ride and pull the clutch in, if your bike STALLS WHILE U ARE IN MOTION, you have a problem. I'm curious to know how you said you "ride in neutral"? the bike is not supposed to shift to neutral untill you come to a complete stop

what? likely means approaching a stop in N which leaves the rider vulnerable for escape routes ?

Last edited:
I meant I was downshifting then went into neutral n coasted to the stopsign, I got my buddy over today to show me what to do so thats what I been practicing all day, not a pro but I get what to do now

I meant I was downshifting then went into neutral n coasted to the stopsign, I got my buddy over today to show me what to do so thats what I been practicing all day, not a pro but I get what to do now

I think a lot of riders even veterans may do that, but as you likely know N in a panic situation leaves less time to get in gear, sometimes a split second will and has saved my life a few times, how are you with looking ahead when riding turning slow corners that saves you from being fixated on an object, practice fast stops always, my 2 cents

I would like to know what kinda bikes you guys are riding...Last time I checked ...you CANNOT go to neutral on a bike if the rear wheel is turning ....the gearbox is designed to go from 2nd to 1st SKIPPING the neutral...you cannot shift from 2nd to 1st , then shift to neutral and coast.....

EDIT: I did not read OP's recent post...glad your buddy helped you out :)

I would like to know what kinda bikes you guys are riding...Last time I checked ...you CANNOT go to neutral on a bike if the rear wheel is turning ....the gearbox is designed to go from 2nd to 1st SKIPPING the neutral...you cannot shift from 2nd to 1st , then shift to neutral and coast.....

EDIT: I did not read OP's recent post...glad your buddy helped you out :)
Im on a 99 vstar. No issues going into N while moving.

Back
Top Bottom