The One Thing Im Having Trouble with | GTAMotorcycle.com

The One Thing Im Having Trouble with

TheRealKnex

So I just started riding and it has been going better then I expected, the only thing im having trouble with is downshifting and knowing what to do while slowing down for a stop sign..thats the only time I stall the bike..can anyone help me out with some advice?

Pull the clutch. Learn shift points and clutch control. No one can really teach you online. It takes practice.

If you stalling while coming to a stop your not pulling the clutch in time. Your rpm shouldn't drop below idle.

What I was doing was downshifting to neutral. .your saying shift to first and keep the clutch in while stoppd? Remember im brand new to bikes and never drove standard car b4

Yes exactly.
Pull clutch then push down shifter to first. keep clutch pulled in.

Stay in first. You shouldn't really shift to neutral on the street. Always be ready to take off in case of being rearended ect.

On that note. Keep enough room that if someone is coming up behind you, you can tuck your bike beside another car.

Oh and book a course. They teach you all of this. For a rider with 0 experience id highly suggest it.

Ride safe.

Downshift smoothly takes practice. Just get the steps straight in your head and go out and practice. Also, going out with experience rider helps. That way you have someone from whom you can get immediate feedback to improve.

I am assuming that you have not taken a motorcycle training program. You need to take a motorcycle training course, try one of the schools listed here: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/gradu/motocourse.shtml

Park your bike and don't ride it again until you have passed the course. Riding a bike isn't as simple as driving a car. You are stalling your bike in traffic, you will find yourself in a really bad situation eventually and need to know what they teach you in the school in order to stay safe.

Riding doesn't come natural, you need somebody to teach you. Everybody has to start somewhere and these schools are the best place to start.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I agree with taking a course. I would also suggest finding an empty parking lot with some decent space and practice gearing down coming to a stop.

When I first learned to ride, I did this on empty country roads and large lots. I geared up and down to a stop.

The night I rode my first bike home, I geared down too much (for my speed) and locked the back tire - didn't know how fast I could go in each gear.

No need to shift into neutral while stopping

Practice, practice and practice.

Pretty basic stuff, you should take a basic rider training course. Also, in your sig you list an r6, I hate to be "that guy" but you have no business on that bike if you are struggling with the basics.

Pretty basic stuff, you should take a basic rider training course. Also, in your sig you list an r6, I hate to be "that guy" but you have no business on that bike if you are struggling with the basics.
x2. Sorry dude. Park the R6 and buy a $800 beater until you get the basics down.

Yeah im going to take course asap! And I am working everynight on shifting and take offs on back streets just didnt undrrstand the downshift

OP, we've all been a new rider at some point. Yes, some people take to it more naturally than others. That is to be expected; we are all different. When I first started riding, stalling would bring me to tears and caused much frustration. Never thought I would get it. My advice, ignore the judgmental, unsympathetic, perfect riders on this forum. Find an experienced rider who you respect and trust. Have that person go with you to an empty parking lot and just practice, practice, practice. In time, you will get it. And one day, you will look back and smile, realizing how far you've come :) Ride safe and good luck!

OP, we've all been a new rider at some point. Yes, some people take to it more naturally than others. That is to be expected; we are all different. When I first started riding, stalling would bring me to tears and caused much frustration. Never thought I would get it. My advice, ignore the judgmental, unsympathetic, perfect riders on this forum. Find an experienced rider who you respect and trust. Have that person go with you to an empty parking lot and just practice, practice, practice. In time, you will get it. And one day, you will look back and smile, realizing how far you've come :) Ride safe and good luck!
Thanks, some people are funny lol if you start with a 600 then no doubt youll be a pancake in a week aha, no but for the most part ive been rele good pretty natural, if ican lean something everyday or wrk on perfecting something im happy

So I just started riding and it has been going better then I expected, the only thing im having trouble with is downshifting and knowing what to do while slowing down for a stop sign..thats the only time I stall the bike..can anyone help me out with some advice?

That really takes practice try to inticipate traffic lights, shifting in N is ok at times but you leave yourself vulnerable if not in gear..likely you will have to slow or gun it at times. Traffic lights is no where to let your guard down use extreme caution but with practice becomes easy as driving a car.

Your likely having problems down a hill solution is easy just use in lower gear and engine brake is easy and does not harm engine, after you get a few miles
under your belt it becomes routine, and soon you will be riding faster just to know how fast it really is to stop.

Harvey

Last edited:

It annoys me no end when posters say it's "basic", only basic when you have some miles under your belt.. I never went too no course. like I need some stranger too tell me how to survive...in a panic stop it will be" instinct" and common sense like making sure bike is uprite before braking. Poster a course is good but practice,practice especially practice fast stops that is what will save your life countless times.

You want to ride easy, look ahead bike goes where you look, counter steering should be natural otherwise Huston we have a problem, learn not too lock brakes and caution when you brake on angles. Braking front tire on a angle could cause a lowside.. "you can quote me" :)

For the bike being too heavy, that may be only true for the first month, so really buying a 250 is often a waist of money since you don't want a 250..

Harvey

Last edited:
I have another suggestion.

Find the engage point. Rock your bike back and forth (with the clutch) without touching the gas. This will help you figure out the rpm before a stall. It will also help make your shifts butter smooth. Every bike is different so its good to do this on any bike you hop on.
As for starting on a large bike. I entirely disagree. As long as you respect it, its power and dont drive like a tard your good.

Granted I'm a cruiser rider so maybe its different. But I was on a 125 sport bike for the course and was bored within 20 min. (I also have dirtbike experience though so take it with a grain of salt)

As for the course. The sooner the better. For me, It really only reinforced what I was already doing. But I can see why a noob woykd be great.

It annoys me no end when posters say it's "basic", only basic when you have some miles under your belt..

Harvey

Not stalling when coming to a stop is basic.

If you can't get into a course soon, get someone to take you to a parking lot and help you learn the slow speed stuff, as someone new to it, that's when you're likely to drop the bike or fall. I remember when I tried emergency braking on my bike after using the little ones they provide in the course, it's unreal how quickly a bike can stop. It's worth messing around in a lot a few afternoons to know the limits of your bike, I still do at the beginning of the year just for a refresher.

Not stalling when coming to a stop is basic.

If you can't get into a course soon, get someone to take you to a parking lot and help you learn the slow speed stuff, as someone new to it, that's when you're likely to drop the bike or fall. I remember when I tried emergency braking on my bike after using the little ones they provide in the course, it's unreal how quickly a bike can stop. It's worth messing around in a lot a few afternoons to know the limits of your bike, I still do at the beginning of the year just for a refresher.

If anyone is stalling at stop signs you have no right to be riding outside a parking lot. I meant inticipating lights is not easy when a beginner, anyone that says otherwise
needs a lie detector, maybe inreb has that machine :) The sad fact is we learn the most if lucky enough to survive from the near crash experiences, you would need to be Kreskin to inticipate all the actions of cagers or a deer darting out into road.

Harvey

Last edited:
Being able to ride the bike without stalling it, that is basic stuff and they will teach you that in the course. Learning on a 600ss is doable once you at least have the very basics down, OP doesn't. How many other things does he think he has down and doesn't?

Basics.. stopping, starting, turning, shifting.... disagree if you want...

Being able to ride the bike without stalling it, that is basic stuff and they will teach you that in the course. Learning on a 600ss is doable once you at least have the very basics down, OP doesn't. How many other things does he think he has down and doesn't?

Basics.. stopping, starting, turning, shifting.... disagree if you want...

Agreed 100%
The guy from the original post has nothing to be ashamed of, he just started. Downshifting to a stoplight is pretty basic, but good for him for asking what he is doing wrong.
In my earlier post (#7) I wasn’t joking about parking the bike until the original poster finishes/passes a course. When you take your road test it is an automatic fail if you stall the bike. This should tell you that you aren't ready for the road just quite yet!
Riding a bike on the road is dangerous; you WILL learn lifesaving skills at the course. PLEASE for your own sake take the next available course. I say this with 100% kindness please take a course before you ride on the street again.

Back
Top Bottom