Cancelling trip plans due to weather? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cancelling trip plans due to weather?

matthew

Site Supporter
I have a trip planned leaving Toronto Wednesday morning and returning Saturday afternoon. The weather forecast isn't favourable for Thursday and Friday. I know long term weather forecasting isn't accurate but so far it seems as though our heat / humidity and possible storms will be moving east with me.

I can't stand riding in humid weather with a full leather suit.

Has anyone cancelled a trip before due to unfavourable weather forceasts? I could suck it up and deal with it, but then it's no fun and that defeats the purpose of a vacation

I have a trip planned leaving Toronto Wednesday morning and returning Saturday afternoon. The weather forecast isn't favourable for Thursday and Friday. I know long term weather forecasting isn't accurate but so far it seems as though our heat / humidity and possible storms will be moving east with me.

I can't stand riding in humid weather with a full leather suit.

Has anyone cancelled a trip before due to unfavourable weather forceasts? I could suck it up and deal with it, but then it's no fun and that defeats the purpose of a vacation

I find long term weather forecasts to be pretty accurate if you look at the big picture of where you're going. If it's showing high heat/humidity for the large part of your route, I would bail too and find somewhere else to go. Nothing worse than being miserable on a trip

I was planning to go through Adirondacks and then head south to Hawks Nest and then west through PA but those areas are showing bad weather.

I already prebooked hotels since it's both the Canadian and American holidays. I might due an over night trip from Fri to Sat in the Allegheny area in PA (hotel is booked as part of original trip) and do a long Ontario day ride instead.

If it rains in the mountains it can wash a lot of debris onto the road surface.

Take it easy if you do go.
Argh! Hot sticky leathers! I did a ride down to the gap on my VFR in leathers, and thank God I opted to bring a mesh jacket as well. The leathers still have a criss cross dent across them from all that time under the bungee cords.

Now I ride with a touring jacket that does cold weather and strips away to mesh for those nasty 37 degree afternoons down in NC.

We planned to east to the Catskills - got to the 1000 islands bridge - took one look at the weather map and splashed back to PA on an angle and a fine ride.
I generally like an alternative - Tstorms are hard to predict ant time ahead. I like to have an alternative off in a different direction.

Touring in leather is not the best idea

I ppostponed my last trip because of weather and it ended up being beautiful and it was miserable on the dates I rescheduled on, its a crap shoot.

I wouldn't cancel with that forcast. Thunderstorms don't last all day. They blow through and its sunny the rest of the day. Besides, Thursday and Friday look great.

I wouldn't cancel with that forcast. Thunderstorms don't last all day. They blow through and its sunny the rest of the day. Besides, Thursday and Friday look great.

It's not the thunderstorms that I'm worried about, it's the heat.

Yeah PA is cooler tho that stretch along 120 from Renovo west along the railway can be a furnace.

Still tho the forest and elevation make it pleasant nearly always.

Try a mesh jacket with a white t-shirt underneath, much more comfortable than leather.
Mine is made by First-Gear and came with a zip on raincoat as well.

Perforated leather plus some under garments like the VnM Sport Gear stuff is pretty cool as long as you're moving. Too bad I can't seem to find any touring-styled perforated leather over pants. Just race style.

I've cancelled many planned trips due to poor weather.

Trust your gut. If the forecast looks poor than don't do it

I've cancelled trips before due to weather and always regretted it. Ill be happier riding in rain or heat than loosing the vacation time.
I just use proper gear for touring and prepare for everything. Heat and rain does not last the whole day.

I'm salvaging part of my trip. I'm leaving in the morning for PA.

I don't mind losing a few vacation days if it means not having to deal with heavy rain and humidity.

I'll give it another shot for the August long weekend.

Back
Top Bottom