Motorcycle certification | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle certification

theraymondguy

It used to be at one time that a motorcycle could be certified by any licensed automotive shop. Is that no longer the case? I've had more than a few turn me away, even my local CTC - said something about incurring more cost than profit due to some requirement or other???

My guess if they can't fix a problem they dont want to certify. But once that green diploma is on the wall they can do any vehicle.

My guess if they can't fix a problem they dont want to certify. But once that green diploma is on the wall they can do any vehicle.

I have an appointment with a local bike dealer (who I dispise), they'll gladly do the certification, but won't touch the bike if it needs repairs. It's a shame whats' happening to our hobby.

Really???
That sounds like a crock of s***.
If they can certify a bike (as a bike dealer) why cant they repair?

Really???
That sounds like a crock of s***.
If they can certify a bike (as a bike dealer) why cant they repair?

Just a guess - Because they are a single-manufacturer dealer and don't carry the parts for any other brand?
A Vespa dealer could certify a CBR 1000, but they do not want to deal with warranty issues for the repairs, since they do not have OEM Honda parts.

I am just guessing.

In another topic, I really like Rosey Toes.

When I certified in April I went to the local shop. They deal with cruisers and customs. I have a cruiser.

I certified my bike before hand BUT missed a stupid running light. They charged me $1 for the light. Told me to pop it in and certified the bike. (Before doing it)

If there was any major problems they could handle it, they build bikes from scratch.

I "met" a guy today that built bikes from scratch. He put together his ride in the absence of any front wheel braking equipment. He had a nice 4 piston caliper on the rear wheel though. His bike looked pretty cool, just not on a flatbed tow.

I "met" a guy today that built bikes from scratch. He put together his ride in the absence of any front wheel braking equipment. He had a nice 4 piston caliper on the rear wheel though. His bike looked pretty cool, just not on a flatbed tow.

Let me guess, HTA s. 64 (2)

No front brake is a pretty dumb move.

Let me guess, HTA s. 64 (2)

No front brake is a pretty dumb move.

He actually got s.84 for a combination of other issues... But the handle bar looked really clean without a brake lever. I think that was the point of the whole bike.

Not quite true. Each inspection station is only licensed to do inspections on vehicles they are capable of inspecting.

Meaning: A Canadian Tire can do inspections on cars, light trucks and motorcycles as they have 310S mechanics (cars). They cannot do trucks as you need a 310T license and other truck related specific testing equipment ie: 5th wheel gauge, brake stroke measurement tools...

Places I worked had the green diploma but couldent safety cars or motorcycles, even when we had 310S mechanics working their because the inspection station was only authorized for trucks.

Ya I kind of forgot about transport truck safetys.
Either way. A car mech can cer a bike. ..correct?

Doesn't the mechanic have to be able to do a road test. So they would have to have a valid motorcycle licence.

Ya I kind of forgot about transport truck safetys.
Either way. A car mech can cer a bike. ..correct?

That is correct. A car mechanic can safety a bike, but a bike mechanic cannot safety a car.

My local dealer IS the dealer for my bike brand, I can see where working on older bikes could quickly turn into a ***** show, especially rubber components etc.

Last edited:
Well, I failed to find an automotive shop willing to do a safety on a motorcycle. However, my local dealer did step up and safety the bike for me, even managed to sneak me in between appointments.

My local dealer IS the dealer for my bike brand, I can see where working on older bikes could quickly turn into a ***** show, especially rubber components etc.

I've heard Porsche will no longer work on my old car.

But then again, new OEM Porsche parts for a 25 yr old Porsche are expensive as hell and I bet their labour rates are crazy, too, so I'm happy to use smaller mechanics.

Back
Top Bottom