Finally, I ride when I want! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Finally, I ride when I want!

Emelie ZX6-R

New to the sport, although I have been around it my whole life! Always had a passion for it and at 30 have finally jumped in! I can say it does really help when you have someone with experience and plenty of patience helping and guiding you every step of the way!

Ride safe!

Congrats! And welcome.

I know and remember the feeling. I was in your exact position/situation few years ago

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"

Welcome!
Wheelie.gif

I agree with b.burton.

Sign up for a course, learn the good habits. No matter if it's a friend, husband, loved one, jesus etc.

When your taught by people other then instructors from a course, you tend to be taught bad habits. It's just how it works, they are not doing it on purpose, but we all pick up bad habits eventually and it may not even seem bad to us.

Do book a course, they are only 3 days and you learn so much.

I suggest RTI.

http://www.ridertraining.ca/

I should have mentioned that I did, in fact, complete the course through RTI. Once I left the course I wanted nothing more but to keep learning in a safe and controlled environment! I knew i was nowhere ready for the chaos on the roads! Currently, you will find us in Empty parking lots! Once I have made significant progress and my skills have improved/sharpened, I will then be allowed on the streets but followed in a vehicle with the experienced rider talking me through everything via headset! Until that person feels I am ready to ride along side them (10+year veteran of the sport), I am restricted to practicing in the above manner, which does not bother me whatsoever! I refuse to go out there until I am confident enough to handle myself in various situations! Ride safe :)

welcome to the forums!

I should have mentioned that I did, in fact, complete the course through RTI. Once I left the course I wanted nothing more but to keep learning in a safe and controlled environment! I knew i was nowhere ready for the chaos on the roads! Currently, you will find us in Empty parking lots! Once I have made significant progress and my skills have improved/sharpened, I will then be allowed on the streets but followed in a vehicle with the experienced rider talking me through everything via headset! Until that person feels I am ready to ride along side them (10+year veteran of the sport), I am restricted to practicing in the above manner, which does not bother me whatsoever! I refuse to go out there until I am confident enough to handle myself in various situations! Ride safe :)

Very wise choices :)

It's good to be safe and confident but talking through a headset while someone is following behind you in a car and watching your every move?? How can that be beneficial? It's going to be a distraction more than anything...if you're that nervous that you need step-by-step instruction on the road still, please, don't go on the road yet!

Welcome, and congrats.

Out of curiosity, did your friend with 10+ years of experience help you pick your bike? Not to sound like a bum hole, but having a zx6r to practice in a parking lot and not having the ability/confidence to ride on the road isn't very reassuring regarding your well being. The last thing I would give my wife if she were to start riding now would be an ss with ~100hp.

I don't feel this is beneficial for you.

If you took the course and passed, you have the basics you need to go on your own. I took the course and not more then 4 days later, I was out on the back roads behind my house, learning, shifting and moving. I did that for a few days and then i hit the main roads around my place, first on saturday morning and sunday, then ventured out on weekdays.

You have to learn and make mistakes on your own, with someone watching you, telling you what to do and basically judging you, you will never learn or get any confidence.

I made a few mistakes on my own, took a turn too wide, stalled multiple times, rough on the shifting, but i learned. I wouldn't have learned as much with someone constantly watching me, talking in my ear or telling me what to do.

I'm still a new rider, but from one new rider to another. Learn on your own, go out on your own and ride where you feel safe and at your own pace.

Shane

after reading this, it sounds like your dad or a parent bought this bike for you etc and is in control of your riding and what you do.
This is not conductive to your learning or gaining confidence.

I understand you want to learn in a controlled and safe environment, but real life is not safe or controlled. Only by what you do and how you react.

This person who is controlling you, is impeding your growth and learning, not helping.

SHane

Back
Top Bottom