So how did everyone do in the race round this weekend ?! | GTAMotorcycle.com

So how did everyone do in the race round this weekend ?!

Kept it in one piece so that was a bonus.

First time ever to Shannonville (any layout) so had to learn the line as well as the bumps and patches. Didn't get nearly enough time on Saturday as it took over an hour to register and get the bike teched. I was in line to get my bike teched when my practice session was called up (I was in line at the registration at 7:30 when they opened).

On Saturday got in three laps in my practice session (it was supposed to be 5 laps long, it wasn't a timed session for my group) and ran a 2:18 following around bakaboy who was nice enough to show me the lines. After the 3 laps of practice was the 5 lap qualifier race, finished 6 with my best of 2:05.

Sunday morning went out for the my first session to try and learn a few more diff lines and ran a 2:08, again only 3 laps. Second last race of the day in the crazy heat and finished 6 when the red flag came out due to a crash. We were past halfway so they called it. I think I could have caught 5 but who knows now. Best time in the race was a 2:00

My goals for the weekend before I went were to keep it in one piece and not be last - Check
After my first practice of learning the track and running a 2:18 I wanted to break the 2 minute mark - just about and I think I could have if the race wasn't red flagged
I upped my expectations from not last to a top 5 which again I just missed on but think I could have gotten without the red.

All in all, good weekend, nice to see a bunch of soar guys and meet some race guys. Beat my inital expectations but once you start riding the expectations always get higher haha.

Every new event (combined RACE and SOAR) will always have some problems but overall I think RACE did a good job, somehow they managed to keep up with the crazy schedule for Saturday (I only ran endurance) and things seem organized at the track, not sure about registration.

My Goal was to support Young Jacob from Team Red as we were sharing his race Kawi 250 for the 3 hour endurance race, he wanted to get some practice and experience and endurance is the place for it.

My second goal was to finish the 3 hr race with just the 2 of us, I knew it was going to be hard but we did it and had a blast while at it.

Never been there before and considering I was in a 250, I think my best lap of 2:18 was a decent one.

I really liked the track, fast flow with not many hard braking zones, looking forward to bringing the 1000 there for a race in the future.

It was nice to finish the race at 5:15 and be home by 730

Last edited:
Realistically a Saturday afternoon endurance race makes the morning practice schedule too short to accomplish very much. You really need friday practice if you're new to the track.

My pos malfunctioning quick shifter has cost me a bottom end rebuild. The motor MIGHT be ok but that's not a chance I'm willing to take.

I did get within 2 seconds of my PB lap time on a shagged rear tire though so there's that.....

Although a SOAR license holder this year, this was my first race of the season. I qualified 3rd for the Novice 600/Rookie Challenge and was able to split the podium of RACE riders with a 2nd finish. Considering it was my 2nd time at Shanny, I am very happy with how the weekend turned out. Was a fun weekend from my perspective, pretty cool passing Christie and Trombino on their bikes as I am heading to the track on mine. Met some great SOAR riders....and a couple nice RACE guys too.

My pos malfunctioning quick shifter has cost me a bottom end rebuild. The motor MIGHT be ok but that's not a chance I'm willing to take.

I did get within 2 seconds of my PB lap time on a shagged rear tire though so there's that.....
was it an HM ?

No it's a cordona sensor hooked into the kit ecu. You setup the pressure needed to activate the switch by adjusting a grub screw. Somthing internally keeps going out of whack which makes me constantly have to adjust it stiffer. It's only been used for 6 days, it's suppose to need servicing after 2 years...

Last edited:

Having Not ridden at SMP other than to take fast a very long time ago my expectations were quite low. how ever I was able to finish just behind Tony Lani for 5th in am 600 and rounded out with a 5th in am superbike aswell. with more time on the track i feel i could have been fighting for a top 3 in both classes.

Being able to track your lap times was a very nice thing

I'm not a racer but a friend invited me to go. Turns out he's a good friends with frank trombino. So I was able to hang out a bit. Super cool guy. Next year I will look into racing for myself. Oh boy and I thought track days are expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a racer but a friend invited me to go. Turns out he's a good friends with frank trombino. So I was able to hang out a bit. Super cool guy. Next year I will look into racing for myself. Oh boy and I thought track days are expensive.

It's really not that much more for the actual race cost. It's all the other **** you buy as you get more serious about it.

There are simple ways to save money and stay competitive.

It's really not that much more for the actual race cost. It's all the other **** you buy as you get more serious about it.

There are simple ways to save money and stay competitive.

That's what I was referring to. So far my tires have lasted me 2 TDs and looks to be good for another 2 days. I hear some use a set of slicks for one race. :mad:

That's what I was referring to. So far my tires have lasted me 2 TDs and looks to be good for another 2 days. I hear some use a set of slicks for one race. :mad:

My r1 is new set for the qualifier and same front new rear for the race.
Then there garbage

On the other hand, I get 3 or 4 weekends out of a set of slicks with my FZR400. If you want to race but keep the budget at least somewhat under control, stay the heck out of superbike!

Vintage, Lightweight Twins, Lost Era, etc are generally lighter, less powerful bikes that are easier on tires. The ultimate track time bang for the buck, though, is endurance racing. Because you have to back off the pace just a smidge in order to go the distance, tires last a lot longer.

Looks like the weekend had a pretty full schedule.

On Saturday got in three laps in my practice session (it was supposed to be 5 laps long, it wasn't a timed session for my group) and ran a 2:18 following around bakaboy who was nice enough to show me the lines. After the 3 laps of practice was the 5 lap qualifier race, finished 6 with my best of 2:05.

Sorry if the 2 18 was a sleeper for you but didn't want to lose a rider if I went out and ran it too hot.

Was picking up the pace for you but time ran short.

Come back on a normal weekend when they aren't sticking us all wih 12 minute sessions.

By mid-summer on the 600, I'm usually running 1:54s on the Long on DOTs which I'd put at... 8/10ths to 9/10ths pace where I don't take too many chances on braking. I'm afraid to ask how that'd have done in Novice since I wanted to make this event and couldn't get out of other responsibilities. :/

Back
Top Bottom