Best (read: Cheapest) way to paint track bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best (read: Cheapest) way to paint track bike

zx6rr

Looking to spend as little $$$ as possible. Bodywork is already painted so I need to understand the steps to sand/remove the paint and best way to either rattle-can or plastidip it myself.

Or what I can expect for a cheap/semi-decent job at a shop for the fairings.

Thank you!

Send a PM to "carboncat" on this forum for a quote on getting it done correctly. He has probably done half the bikes in the SOAR paddock by now, including this one.

Vinyl wrap from China for $35 should be more than enough to do a bike..
and if you bin it, no worries about matching paint jobs again. Simply reapply wrap over repaired area.

Rattle canned mine for about $50. It was a pain in the ***. It's the first thing I've ever really painted so I learned as I went and winged it a lot. Had to do a fair amount of fiberglass and bondo work along the way as the fairings were busted up to begin with.

Looks good from far, or at speed and that's all that matters.

If I had to do it again I'd get someone else to paint it.

Vinyl wrap from China for $35 should be more than enough to do a bike..
and if you bin it, no worries about matching paint jobs again. Simply reapply wrap over repaired area.

do you just go through ebay for it Tim?

Last edited:
Where you get the Spraymax 2K clear coat? Tried at CT, Partsource, Autozone etc... no luck.

looks like a good job

but is it good from far sort of thing?

get plastidip from the US, about 5 bucks a can, and go to town, it will rub off in areas that you have a lot of contact with, otherwise, it's easy to take off put on and change color if you want

not a track bike but it will look something like this, and all the plastics were done using 5 cans

CAM00092.jpg

The absolute cheapest way would be to leave it as is. Vinyl wrap is OK, and maybe Plasti-Dip, but be aware, if you paint it with spray bombs nobody will want to paint it afterwards with proper paint. Oh, and there's always the Rustoleum method of paint by roller. Lots of choices.

looks like a good job

but is it good from far sort of thing?

The majority of the cost by a pro is going to be in prep work. Same thing applies here. It can turn out as nice as the effort you put into it (sanding, lots of light coats, etc). If you've got beter things to do than sand each piece perfectly or get a run, there's lots of stickers available to cover it ;)

Back
Top Bottom