Beginner routes? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Beginner routes?

barkingsquirrel

Hey guys :) So I'm a fairly new rider, been riding for 2-ish months now.. I've gotten way more comfortable on my bike, with taking turns and leaning and stuff. I have a whole bunch of friends who are far more advanced than me who keep telling me allll about how fun twisties and things are.

Now, I'm not one of those who will pretend I know what I'm doing if I don't. I don't feel ready to hit up the twisties these guys talk about, despite how "easy" they tell me they are. If I'm not confident I can handle it, I won't do it.
So my question is... Are there any "beginner" routes that have turns and stuff that aren't toooo intense for someone as new as me? Just a chill route with a few turns and things like that so I can practice? I just wanna get used to how my bike handles around curves and things like that before tackling anything that requires experience.

Thanks!

You're from Scarborough, yes? Then: go up to markham. Find a street called Donald Cousens. From steeles, go to major mac, and come back. Enjoy the long, sweeping curves. Thank me later.

I can't help you with any routes. I can say that all corners are beginner corners. The thing that differs between the novice and expert is the cornering speed and smoothness.

Get a copy of Twist of the Wrist II. I always find it's more helpful to be taught the principles and techniques before going out any trying them.

Try finding someone who rides at a higher level and isn't willing to leave you behind all the time - during rides. This might help, but at the risk of picking up others bad habits.

Try finding someone who rides at a higher level and isn't willing to leave you behind all the time - during rides. This might help, but at the risk of picking up others bad habits.

I'm lucky enough to have a friend like this :) One of the best riders I know too. I'll just have him bring me to somewhere he thinks I can handle and practice there.

Thanks!

For a day trip, if you can make it out to Port Hope, Lakeshore is a nice ride. Starts at the Mill St exit off the 401 and ends in Port Hope. I'm sure you could get there by heading down Hwy 2. It's a bit of a trek but it follows the lake and is quite nice! Just be careful of the wooden bridge and the train tracks.

You're from Scarborough, yes? Then: go up to markham. Find a street called Donald Cousens. From steeles, go to major mac, and come back. Enjoy the long, sweeping curves. Thank me later.

+1 I've ridden this route a couple of times. And hardly any traffic when I've been there, i.e. sometimes not a soul in sight. Great for a beginner.

Most of the twisties you hear about are fine for beginners as long as you feel comfortable with street riding in general. If you take it at your own pace and don't exceed the speed limit you should be fine getting through the corners. The other aspect you have to watch out for is the environmental factor (debris, wildlife, other vehicles, etc). I recommend a track school.

For a day trip, if you can make it out to Port Hope, Lakeshore is a nice ride. Starts at the Mill St exit off the 401 and ends in Port Hope. I'm sure you could get there by heading down Hwy 2. It's a bit of a trek but it follows the lake and is quite nice! Just be careful of the wooden bridge and the train tracks.
For sure. to add to this, go to Google maps, and plot a route thats thru Durham and not on the 401. Ride to port hope, have lunch, then ride back. A nice outing. to be honest, I found a ton of roads here by just looking on google maps and plotting the routes.. I stay away from places like The Forks etc as there is too much traffic.

And the gravel on the right turns and the tight left turns, I wouldn't send a new rider there alone.

Last edited:
^^^ agreed. The nice view of the lake is offset by the narrow and gravelly road. Not as fun as people would have you believe.

I was thinking of just taking a spin down at the Bayview Extension... I was down there yesterday in a car and thought all the turns and curves would be nice on the bike. :)

You can do a loop from the bayview extensions up to the Don Mills extensions and back down to the bayview extensions and on and on
I was thinking of just taking a spin down at the Bayview Extension... I was down there yesterday in a car and thought all the turns and curves would be nice on the bike. :)

+1. Great route, but be careful if you're heading on Bayview south of DVP ramp. Lots of potholes and some loose gravel.

You can do a loop from the bayview extensions up to the Don Mills extensions and back down to the bayview extensions and on and on

Hey guys :) So I'm a fairly new rider, been riding for 2-ish months now.. I've gotten way more comfortable on my bike, with taking turns and leaning and stuff. I have a whole bunch of friends who are far more advanced than me who keep telling me allll about how fun twisties and things are.

Now, I'm not one of those who will pretend I know what I'm doing if I don't. I don't feel ready to hit up the twisties these guys talk about, despite how "easy" they tell me they are. If I'm not confident I can handle it, I won't do it.
So my question is... Are there any "beginner" routes that have turns and stuff that aren't toooo intense for someone as new as me? Just a chill route with a few turns and things like that so I can practice? I just wanna get used to how my bike handles around curves and things like that before tackling anything that requires experience.

Thanks!

Why not just go slower through the "twisties" until you get the hang of it? You know about counter/push steering, right? It always works... get some confidence to gain experience, and ride at your own pace!

I did the Donald Cousens route just this week as suggested on here and it isn't bad. It IS a "beginner" route. Not techinical at all. Traffic was very minimal and roads are good (construction approaching the Major Mac end but nothing that will get in your way). Instead of just making a U-turn at Major Mac, i took a right which brings you to Ninth line and it just brings you back into Donald Cousens. Coming from Scarborough,I suggest taking some detours on the way rather than just heading straight. I took Ellesmere E then went up north on Neilson (Morningside works as well)then Staines Road which will take you to Steeles. Im constantly looking for some routes around Scarborough but always end up heading north for the better paved roads... Heading to Keswick on Wednesday :)

Try the North Service Road at the QEW between Dorval and Bronte. There is every type of corner - long sweeping, tight, decreasing and increasing radius. I rode it both directions for about an hour on Friday Night at Rush hour and barely saw another vehicle. Then if you are comfortable, try the ramps and the QEW east off Bronte - no need to change lanes to the next exit.

Try the North Service Road at the QEW between Dorval and Bronte. There is every type of corner - long sweeping, tight, decreasing and increasing radius. I rode it both directions for about an hour on Friday Night at Rush hour and barely saw another vehicle. Then if you are comfortable, try the ramps and the QEW east off Bronte - no need to change lanes to the next exit.

I'm there from the to time with my gf as she's started riding this year. The damn lights don't get triggered from our bikes there lol

Back
Top Bottom