Failing to stop | Page 13 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Failing to stop

lol, "not caring enough".

I've seen several seemingly pro-legal authority posts from you that are pretty nonsensical in nature...are you a LEO?

prosecutors are absolutely ruthless, the only reason they EVER give ground is when they know they don't have a good chance to get a conviction.

if they agree to plead down to a much lesser charge you can believe that you likely could have gotten a dismissal if you went ahead with a good agent/lawyer.

I think he's Bike Cop :)

that was on the 400 about 5 6 years ago.
when quite a few people complained to the media about this and the media set up a bait car and caught the cop red handed in his scam. he was later fired and most likely sued.
once again the media should be the siu they seem to be the best on getting rid of bad cops.

that was on the 400 about 5 6 years ago.
when quite a few people complained to the media about this and the media set up a bait car and caught the cop red handed in his scam. he was later fired and most likely sued.
once again the media should be the siu they seem to be the best on getting rid of bad cops.

That doesn't ring a bell. Do you have a link to the original story?

Maybe he means Sgt Dennis Mahoney-Bruer.

That's what I thought, until I read the description of the incident. From what I know Mahoney-Bruer worked in the Mississauga/Oakville area, not anywhere near the 400. There also was no information released in the media about a 'bait car.' This sounds like a completely separate incident that I have no recollection of. If so, I'd like to know.

Do you mean you were charged with a wheelie charge, whatever that is? I assume you mean 172. Or did you charge someone with 172? Either way did whomever it was get reimbursed for towing and impound fees? Not a very clear story coming from a cop.

I laid a charge for stunt, based on the wheelie that I witnessed. On the trial date, the prosecutor amended the offence to following to closely, under pressure from the paralegal defence and a full docket with not enough time for a trial. The fine was assessed at $500 (which is more than the roadside amount) because it was a joint submission from both sides.

I've never heard of anyone being reimbursed for towing or storage charges as a result of 172.

That's what I thought, until I read the description of the incident. From what I know Mahoney-Bruer worked in the Mississauga/Oakville area, not anywhere near the 400. There also was no information released in the media about a 'bait car.' This sounds like a completely separate incident that I have no recollection of. If so, I'd like to know.
I haven't heard of this "bait car" story... Is this just hearsay?

I laid a charge for stunt, based on the wheelie that I witnessed. On the trial date, the prosecutor amended the offence to following to closely, under pressure from the paralegal defence and a full docket with not enough time for a trial. The fine was assessed at $500 (which is more than the roadside amount) because it was a joint submission from both sides.

I've never heard of anyone being reimbursed for towing or storage charges as a result of 172.

There may have been reimbursement in the 200+ cases under review because they involving Dennis Mahoney-Bruer, only some of which were under HTA 172, though no information has been released regarding that. I expect that the drivers involved would have been under some sort of gag agreement, largely because a trial was pending.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2009/06/05/250_cases_under_review_in_opp_officer_probe.html

Last edited:
I haven't heard of this "bait car" story... Is this just hearsay?

alltherighttoys mentioned a bait car, in the scenario he referred to. I suspect that it's a complete misinterpretation of the Mahoney-Bruer case, as posited by trebororr, but I'd like to hear if there's more to it.

This the problem, and there is no way it is within the charter, no matter what has held up in court.

Because speed limits aren't set to reasonable speeds (a speed limit should be set to the highest speed it is safe to travel at in ideal conditions) but instead are set for revenue generation, the idea that someone who is traveling only 50km/h faster than the "limits" set in Ontario is a danger to public safety and should have their vehicle seized without trial and without refund is just f***ing ridiculous.

I realize police don't make the laws, only enforce them, but again please do not try and chase, the person you kill trying to catch faster riders on better machinery than you may not just be you.

This the problem, and there is no way it is within the charter, no matter what has held up in court.

Because speed limits aren't set to reasonable speeds (a speed limit should be set to the highest speed it is safe to travel at in ideal conditions) but instead are set for revenue generation, the idea that someone who is traveling only 50km/h faster than the "limits" set in Ontario is a danger to public safety and should have their vehicle seized without trial and without refund is just f***ing ridiculous.

I realize police don't make the laws, only enforce them, but again please do not try and chase, the person you kill trying to catch faster riders on better machinery than you may not just be you.

A few people travelling at 150Kmh on a road with a limit of 100 Kmh, on which people routinely travel at 120 Kmh, is actually a dangerous situation. Speed differential is the problem, not necessarily speed. Now take that situation to city streets, that normally will not have a limit that's greater than 60 Kmh. A differential of almost twice the speed of traffic is patently dangerous.

Does that mean people should be robbed of their Charter Rights? No. Not to me, it doesn't. The situation is frequently compared to impaired operation of a vehicle. The difference is that when an impaired driver is stopped he's still likely impaired, at the end of that encounter. for that reason additional safeguards are necessary. A speeder is no longer speeding, after the stop.

Last edited:
Wondering if we need specially equipped motorcycle cops for chasing down bad riders? Guy told me he was on his way to work last week when a cop tried to pull over an SS bike. Sickle just took right off through the traffic, not even caring about the cop he left behind with its lights flashing. Not sure what bike would be best for the job.

This could easily end up being a trend if it isn't remedied.

Where did this happen?
Wondering if we need specially equipped motorcycle cops for chasing down bad riders? Guy told me he was on his way to work last week when a cop tried to pull over an SS bike. Sickle just took right off through the traffic, not even caring about the cop he left behind with its lights flashing. Not sure what bike would be best for the job.

And the problem with that is what?

We don't need SS bikes to be chased down, we need less enforcement and higher speed limits.

The fatties don't need special bikes paid for by us just to chase down the occasional guy on a sportbike.

Get his plates and investigate later.

And the problem with that is what?

We don't need SS bikes to be chased down, we need less enforcement and higher speed limits.

The fatties don't need special bikes paid for by us just to chase down the occasional guy on a sportbike.

Get his plates and investigate later.

Well I would say that we need appropriate enforcement and appropriate speed limits, which in many cases does mean higher ones.

Getting a plate and following up later isn't really an option, in many cases. Not keeping the rider in sight creates a situation in which conviction is frequently impossible, as the rider can't be properly identified. The number of 'runner plates' that I've seen during just my commutes, this year, is massive. I've even seen perhaps 5 different bikes on just The Gardiner, this season, that had no plate what so ever.

I don't really have a solution. Obviously a bunch of high speed chases, on public roadways, isn't really the way to go. Up-arming police in the speed battle is just likely to create a dangerous situation and the likelihood of having such a police bike, in the right place at the right time, is vanishingly small. The only thing that comes immediately to mind is confiscating improperly displayed plates and towing plateless vehicles, but I'm sure that no one here wants to see that start to happen.

I was caught going about 15 to 20 km over last year. I actually pulled over.
The cop let me go, simply because I pulled over. He said, no body pulls over any more and he didn't expect me to pull over. Once he checked my record and saw that I was clean, he let me go. Then he told me to watch my speed when I come home later, because he was going to be there all day.

LOL

I was caught going about 15 to 20 km over last year. I actually pulled over.
The cop let me go, simply because I pulled over. He said, no body pulls over any more and he didn't expect me to pull over. Once he checked my record and saw that I was clean, he let me go. Then he told me to watch my speed when I come home later, because he was going to be there all day.

LOL
Had a similar scenario. Cop pulled me over said he was a rider himself, just wanted to check my documents. I was probably 30 over the limit, wasn't watching at the speedo. Let me go after he saw my documents

When you see something like this it's generally a case of the prosecutor just not caring enough to go forward with the original charge.

Or they wanted first round draft pick..

[video=youtube;KouE48zV1qg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KouE48zV1qg[/video]

Seriously though I have never run.. I don't see myself behaving like that. I have an actual life that I would like to keep, and its not worth $10000.. Cool that actual cops are on here and trying to interact. Awesome. My best bud is a cop, the stories that he tells me are just disturbing..

Back
Top Bottom