2001 sv650s won't turn over | GTAMotorcycle.com

2001 sv650s won't turn over

mcbain27

i've had the battery on a battery tender all winter, went to start up the bike and nothing.
headlights and dash indicators seem to be working. What can be the problem?

i'm not technical, so any help would be appreciated.

or if there is a mechanic in the scarb. area (mccowan and finch) that would be great.

Thanks for the help and ride safe.

Had a Sv 650 guy said the same thing and battery showed 12.4 volts yet as soon as u put load on it, it dropped rapidly, your battery is probably ****** go get it load tested, then check other things maybe you got a mouse house.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Do you have the clutch pulled in? Check the clutch switch if you are pulling the clutch in one of the wires may be off.

pretty sure that the battery may be it. will bring it down to cycleworld/snow city to get it done.

does autoparts do load test?

Last edited:
does autoparts do load test?
They never set the machine correctly. For ***** and giggles I took a brand new freshly charged battery to them and "Nope, this battery is garbage. Did you wash it before you brought it in?"... I asked for the print out "Failed 400cca load test" lol :)

Do you not have a volt meter/multimeter? Invest in one of those before you take your bike to a shop. Put it on DC volts (20 if not auto ranging) and measure the battery while you're hitting the starter button, report back number. http://www.princessauto.com/pal/Electrical/Digital-Multimeter/8347676.p

thanks for the info, will drop by CT or PA for a multimeter tomorrow to check the battery out.

will report back.

They never set the machine correctly. For ***** and giggles I took a brand new freshly charged battery to them and "Nope, this battery is garbage. Did you wash it before you brought it in?"... I asked for the print out "Failed 400cca load test" lol :)

Do you not have a volt meter/multimeter? Invest in one of those before you take your bike to a shop. Put it on DC volts (20 if not auto ranging) and measure the battery while you're hitting the starter button, report back number. http://www.princessauto.com/pal/Electrical/Digital-Multimeter/8347676.p

Last edited:
PA didnt have the one you recommended, crap...its ok...new toy to play with.

still had the battery back on tender overnight will measure afterwork....hopefully will get to ride soon....

I don't think that one will read low enough of a voltage range, I saw that one on sale and checked the user manual before I recommended to you the one that I did.

as johnscruiser stated, the multimeter i got was useless. dangit!

thanks by the way!

but i put the battery back into the bike, and tried to start it...it came close, but not enough. after a couple tries the headlight went in and out, and only the N and gas light came on...

i think its got to be the battery...cuz it comes close to turning over...but nothing....

thanks for the help thus far, but i guess its time to just bring it in to part source or cycleworld and have the battery load test.

as johnscruiser stated, the multimeter i got was useless. dangit!

thanks by the way!

but i put the battery back into the bike, and tried to start it...it came close, but not enough. after a couple tries the headlight went in and out, and only the N and gas light came on...

i think its got to be the battery...cuz it comes close to turning over...but nothing....

thanks for the help thus far, but i guess its time to just bring it in to part source or cycleworld and have the battery load test.
You could boost it with a car, with the car NOT running. If it turns over strong while being boosted it's for sure the battery.

thanks johnscruiser, i was going to boost it until i realized my wife had the car....will try this before doing the load test.

hooked the bike up to the car for a charge...and voila...it turned over.

the battery needs to be replaced...thanks for the help!!!!

just ordered a new battery thru bluestreakracing.ca

hope to get it soon.

thanks for all the help here!

Cheers

just ordered a new battery thru bluestreakracing.ca
Tony is the best. Did you ask him to pre-charge it for you? If he/it doesn't come pre-charged there are very special instructions for charging it the first time, and starting the bike and going for a ride is NOT how you do it ;)

i ordered it online, so no i forgot to ask to precharge it!

I'll send them an email.

without a doubt, johnscruiser still rocks. Thanks bud.

Tony from BSR emailed back within an hour and confirmed he will precharge the battery!

kudos to Tony at BSR.

late now, but I don't see why the multimeter you purchased would not be good enough to read your battery

INTRODUCTION
This is a portable clamp meter, with a 3-1/2 digit LCD screen designed for use by electricians, technicians and
hobbyists looking for an accurate and reliable instrument. It is powered with a standard 9V battery, and can provide
100 to 200 operating hours, depending on type of battery and intensity of use.

SPECIFICATIONS
AC Current
0.1A to 1000A
AC Voltage
1V to 750V
DC Voltage
1V to 1000V

Resistance
100mW to 20KW
Continuity test
50 ± 25W with audio ton

Back