Neighbours | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Neighbours

^i guess it would depend when it was installed.
Before op moved in = deal with it.
After = ok to complain at the time of installation. If you wait three or nine years = deal with it.

The original intent was to move the noise away from himself and dump it onto somebody else. Why would you roll over for a guy like that? Have you no sense of fair play?

By-laws exist for a reason. What if the neighbour was pouring engine oil on his side of the property line before you moved in and continued to do it? Adapt?

There's no proof yet that it's against by-law. He's said it's about 3ft, by law is 1.2 m, he didn't measure it so it could be 1.2m.

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

The original intent was to move the noise away from himself and dump it onto somebody else. Why would you roll over for a guy like that? Have you no sense of fair play?
don't buy a pink car if you don't want to drive a pink car.

If you buy a blue car and someone paints it pink you can complain.

but if you don't complain and drive the pink car for six years, you can't demand a paint job then.

What isn't fair about that?

Similarly, if the offending party was a pervert but the other neighbours tolerate him is it OK for him to fondle your kids and peek in your windows? Maybe to be sympathetic you should leave a cold beer for him on the outside windowsill. Wrong is wrong.

This has to be the dumbest comparison ever, not just on this site, but in the world. I can't believe people actually think this way, it's kind of creepy.

The op needs to measure the distance from the unit to his property line, if it's 1.2 m he has no reason to complain, if it's not he can force the city to make the neighbor move it. I'm pretty sure if it's against bylaw the city would of gave him compliance orders already. According to the op, they only gave him a fine for noise violation.

don't buy a pink car if you don't want to drive a pink car.

If you buy a blue car and someone paints it pink you can complain.

but if you don't complain and drive the pink car for six years, you can't demand a paint job then.

What isn't fair about that?

OK, you're at a cross roads right now and want to admit I'm right but can't because you're no chump. I get that.

There's no proof yet that it's against by-law. He's said it's about 3ft, by law is 1.2 m, he didn't measure it so it could be 1.2m.

fingers crossed, hate being wrong......

[/QUOTE] So...a few years pass...I spend some time between Ottawa and Kingston. Most of the summer I was in Ottawa for 3 years but now I'm back in Kingston full time with wife [/QUOTE]
This part bugs me. Seems he didn't care about the noise when just the wife was living there. She seemed to be ok with it for 3 years. It sounds like you only care about yourself and not your wife. I think it's time to get past it and just enjoy your house.

Just because a neighbor has a rusted out car parked on their front lawn when you bought the house doesn't mean you should have to live with it. Lol. Flawless logic.

As others have said, if it's in violation of by law, have them move it. If it's not, too bad. Mine and every house in my neighborhood has our AC units at the side of the house. If I knew mine was within city regs and my neighbor asked me to turn it off at night because he likes to have a breeze I would tell him to put a seashell up to his ear and **** off

Last edited:
So...a few years pass...I spend some time between Ottawa and Kingston. Most of the summer I was in Ottawa for 3 years but now I'm back in Kingston full time with wife [/QUOTE]
This part bugs me. Seems he didn't care about the noise when just the wife was living there. She seemed to be ok with it for 3 years. It sounds like you only care about yourself and not your wife. I think it's time to get past it and just enjoy your house.

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

no, I was away from the house for other reasons most of the summer at that time. That was when the neighbour reinstalled the new AC in the same place and yes I really regret not going over and asking if he might consider putting it where every other neighbour puts their AC unit. I think when he reinstalled it he had the installers move it several inches back right against his wall when he could have easily had it moved and solved all problems (for him too seeing as how he can't use it after 11). My AC installer guy had a look at it and said it was too close to my property line and house.

Yes yes the unit was there when I bought the house...this was my first house and when we bought it was still cold weather outside. We overlooked this potential problem, didn't have a clue. Only when the noise started did we know. Previous occupant of house was a very meek person, wouldn't say boo to a goose, I'm not like that.

As for moving in and fitting in with the neighbourhood, I'm fine with all that, unless someone wants to be an inconsiderate dick.

One thing I didn't say was that I did offer to help the guy with relocation costs for the AC but I never heard a thing from him....he has a nice garden and just built a sunroom extension and my feeling is that he doesn't want to clutter his yard up with an AC unit that might be noisy near his sunroom so he's fine with still pissing me off with the noise.

and yes...depending on what happens next, a lawyer is on the cards. Despite any distance issues there's a clause in our bylaws here that means something needs to be done if you cannot enjoy your own home. The passageway between our houses is quite narrow, more narrow than most other properties here. The AC unit should never have been put there in the first place. I wouldn't mind too much if it was silent with the windows closed (which are new by the way) but it's not, having windows open on a hot night is impossible if the thing goes off. See my problem now?

My house is on a new subdivision, one of those cookie cutter "Cram large houses on 50' frontage", and on one side, both of our A/C's are on the 'narrow' side, and only offset an ac-unit's width from each other in a slight stagger. So close that navigating a push-mower is tricky if the slope is wet.

I can't hear them, they can't hear mine. Both are wall-mounted. Give that a shot?

OR

buy a brick of cocaine
plant in their car
call the cop
PROFIT

9GUluK4.gif

One thing I didn't say was that I did offer to help the guy with relocation costs for the AC but I never heard a thing from him....
Alright. That changes my opinion. He's suppose to be welcoming, and it sounds like he's not. certified dick.

So...a few years pass...I spend some time between Ottawa and Kingston. Most of the summer I was in Ottawa for 3 years but now I'm back in Kingston full time with wife

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

no, I was away from the house for other reasons most of the summer at that time. That was when the neighbour reinstalled the new AC in the same place and yes I really regret not going over and asking if he might consider putting it where every other neighbour puts their AC unit. I think when he reinstalled it he had the installers move it several inches back right against his wall when he could have easily had it moved and solved all problems (for him too seeing as how he can't use it after 11). My AC installer guy had a look at it and said it was too close to my property line and house.

Yes yes the unit was there when I bought the house...this was my first house and when we bought it was still cold weather outside. We overlooked this potential problem, didn't have a clue. Only when the noise started did we know. Previous occupant of house was a very meek person, wouldn't say boo to a goose, I'm not like that.

As for moving in and fitting in with the neighbourhood, I'm fine with all that, unless someone wants to be an inconsiderate dick.

One thing I didn't say was that I did offer to help the guy with relocation costs for the AC but I never heard a thing from him....he has a nice garden and just built a sunroom extension and my feeling is that he doesn't want to clutter his yard up with an AC unit that might be noisy near his sunroom so he's fine with still pissing me off with the noise.

and yes...depending on what happens next, a lawyer is on the cards. Despite any distance issues there's a clause in our bylaws here that means something needs to be done if you cannot enjoy your own home. The passageway between our houses is quite narrow, more narrow than most other properties here. The AC unit should never have been put there in the first place. I wouldn't mind too much if it was silent with the windows closed (which are new by the way) but it's not, having windows open on a hot night is impossible if the thing goes off. See my problem now?[/QUOTE]

I don't think the part about enjoyment of house will pass the smell test. The previous owner didn't complain, you didn't complain for 3 years and now you admit he not only put in a quiet unit but moved it closer to his house, so yes he tried to do something. My money's on him,I doubt you're going to make anyone force him to move it now. It doesn't matter what the reason was you weren't there in the summer months for 3 years, your wife was and you didn't give a rat's ass about her putting up with it for those 3 years. Sounds self centered to me.

and yes...depending on what happens next, a lawyer is on the cards.

Princess's Man has another suggestion for you. I know Princess's man suggested lawyering up. But, before you do, and while you're still on friendly terms (assuming you guys still get along), have you considered asking your neighbour to install a soundproof box around his A/C unit? Maybe offer to pay 1/2 the cost.

Try contacting Wilrep or another company that specializes in soundproofing. They may have a solution for you, and this might be the quickest way to getting things resolved. Litigation may take months to years.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom