Neighbours | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Neighbours

Ok this doesn't solve the ******* neighbor problem. But if you learn to sleep with white noise (ie a fan) it will drown out the ac.

Seems extreme and shouldn't be your problem BUT sleeping with white noise becomes very relaxing.

My ex needed a fan running at night , i slept with that for 5 years. When we broke up I was so excited to sleep without one, I tried for a year.

Needless to say I now cant sleep without a fan running.

I'm guessing it's at least partially psychosomatic. It's not the sound so much as the source of the sound(dick neighbour) and the lack of control. I suffer from this when hearing music in public places that I don't want to be subjected too. It make me unusually disturbed. I listen to music in the shop and truck all the time, no problem.

^ yep....there's a certain amount of anxiety about the crap starting again every year and I'm aware of that. The sound is real though, the circumstances just make it worse. That's the problem with neighbour issues, they kind of get to you.

^ you still up?

So..been in this house for 7+ years. First problem was when we moved in and opened bedroom windows on a hot day and wondered what the humming noise was. Neighbours AC unit is right next to property line, say 3ft away. Noise was unbearable and had to close windows. Humming noise was still apparent through the walls. So, I went round, beers in hand and kindly asked him if he could perhaps not use the AC at night as there's no way we could keep windows open for a breeze and even with them shut the humming noise is bad. Several more chats and then notes later I'd had enough. Called bylaw office and they issued a notice to him and fined him several times for noise after 11pm. So...a few years pass...I spend some time between Ottawa and Kingston. Most of the summer I was in Ottawa for 3 years but now I'm back in Kingston full time with wife and in that time the neighbour has installed a new AC unit but in the same place, right between the houses. He's one of the only people in the entire neighbourhood who has installed their AC there and it's in a bylaw infraction area. We all have large yards and everyone else's is in their back yard. The new unit is quieter when you stand next to it but there's the same low frequency hum and the same compressor noise on start up. His excuse for keeping it there is "his bedroom is on the other side of the house and it doesn't bother him with noise having it where it is".

So, as we hadn't chatted in a while due to the problems I thought I'd start friendly again and mention that I'm back full time now and that this problem really needs sorting. I told him the new AC I just had installed has a long run of lines to my furnace room in the house but there's no problem with where mine is situated and my AC installer said there's no reason why his couldn't be moved back. Got lots of hums and ahas...and he says he's putting a fence in. I told him that would be useless unless it's 20 feet high and covers my bedroom windows as they look right out over the unit. So..it got left at that and I thought he was thinking about moving the AC.

Fast forward to last night....****ing thing is humming again at 11.30pm. Lost my rag and called bylaw people. Explained we have newly renovated rooms on this side of the house and it's time to get things sorted as I can't last another summer like this. I'm not asking for it to be off after 11 now, I want the entire ****ing thing moved as I can't use the rooms on one side of my house unless I have enough noise going on in them to cover the hum.

Sorry for the long post....felt like ranting as I reached the end of my tether.

Anyone else got ****** neighbours? Please tell me you have...it'll make me feel a lot better.

Was his AC installed there before you bought your house?

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

OP, Princess's Man says: If your neighbour is contravening the By-law (that GreyGhost pointed out), and if the City is not doing anything about it, then Princess's Man has a suggestion for you:

Get yourself a lawyer and get a court to issue an order of Mandamus forcing the City to enforce the By-laws. If you are successful, you can also get the City to pay for a good majority of your legal bills. Also, a letter coming from your lawyer might push them to act.
Good luck, my bunny! :bunny:

Bylaw should force him to move the A/C if he is out of compliance [...]

Zoning Bylaw 8499
5.25 Central Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning Units [...]
(f) No Central Air Conditioning Unit, Heat Pump or similar Heating Ventilation & Air Conditioning (HVAC) System shall be constructed or placed closer than 1.2 m to any side or rear lot line.

Last edited:
Burn his house down. Problem solved.
Is work slow right now? :lmao:

to the op, you're not going to like what i'll say so if all you want is sympathy you should probably skip my post.

when you bought the house seven years ago your neighbor was already there? He was in the neighborhood already and his a/c was there before you moved in? You shouldn't have bought the house. You're like every immigrant who expects existing canadians to adapt to their way of life. Just because you paid good money for a house doesn't mean you own the whole ****ing neighborhood. He was there first. It's his job to welcome you to the neighborhood but it's your job to adapt and fit in. You can't expect him to alter his home just because you want a ****ing breeze at night. You're like one of those people who buy a house next to an airport then complains when planes fly overhead. And not only did your neighbor have to put up with your crap, but he actually bought a quieter unit, and you're still complaining. You knew the neighborhood when you bought the house, so shut the f up.
c621-ConanNews2.jpg

side story, we had a new family move into our neighborhood. When they first got there they were loud, had lot's of parties, they put up a fence across the front lawn, and had a yappy dog that was clearly the head of the family. This was a quiet neighborhood. The kind of quiet that lets you hear snowflakes hit the ground. No one complained. No one called the city. Everyone welcomed them into the neighborhood. After a short while, they adapted. They quieted down. They fit in. Our neighborhood has returned to being the quiet neighborhood we like and remember.

It's your job to fit in. It's your job to adapt.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like you need to start going for late night motorcycle rides with a brand new shorty exhaust ... Just sayin'

By-laws exist for a reason. What if the neighbour was pouring engine oil on his side of the property line before you moved in and continued to do it? Adapt?

^ don't farm crops in the back yard.

Also there's a difference between health risk actions, and inconvenience actions. OP has an a/c and he can close his windows.

By-laws exist for a reason. What if the neighbour was pouring engine oil on his side of the property line before you moved in and continued to do it? Adapt?

Similarly, if the offending party was a pervert but the other neighbours tolerate him is it OK for him to fondle your kids and peek in your windows? Maybe to be sympathetic you should leave a cold beer for him on the outside windowsill. Wrong is wrong.

^ don't farm crops in the back yard.

Also there's a difference between health risk actions, and inconvenience actions. OP has an a/c and he can close his windows.

Why should anyone have to sleep with earplugs or barricade their home because someone else is breaking the law? Bluntly, the neighbour is an A-H and will continue to be one as long as gutless sheep do nothing. Then the gutless sheep will bytch about the hood going downhill.

again... there's a difference between molesting children and mowing your lawn before 10:00am

EDIT: i can hear my neighbors a/c right now. Doesn't bother me.

What if.....

what if one of the neighbors has asthma, or a history of bronchitis, and they need conditioned air? Would you call the cops on them because you'd prefer to sleep in a forest?

Last edited:
again... there's a difference between molesting children and mowing your lawn before 10:00am

This response indicates you're a reasonable person. Please consider the original by-law contravening placement of a/c as an attempt put noise closer to neighbour(whoever that may be) and away from user. That's not right and should corrected.

^i guess it would depend when it was installed.
Before op moved in = deal with it.
After = ok to complain at the time of installation. If you wait three or nine years = deal with it.

EDIT:
Op said neighbor replaced the a/c. He should of complained at that time. That would be reasonable.
The neighbor knew about op's distaste for the noise, and when the replacement got installed, the neighbor should have moved it. That was a dick move.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom