zx7r Gas Tank Removal | GTAMotorcycle.com

zx7r Gas Tank Removal

taxnatural

Hi,

I want to removal my tank to have it painted. Do I need and clamps or anything for the hoses?

It's pretty straight forward.

Remove both seats, both side panels that connect to the tank, loosen the rear tank mount and remove the front tank bolts. Lift the front of the tank up and you'll have room to reach in and disconnect the vent tubes and fuel lines (all you need is needle nose pliers). Then remove the rear mount bolt and lift the tank off.

Installation in the reverse order.

Also you will need to run your bike fairly low on gas or use a two way pump to get it all out. The remainder of it you can flip upside down and get those few splashes left in a oil pan or something. Then you will have to disconnect your fuel pump from the bottom like 6-8 bolts that are on with loctite. The body shops only want the tank and will ask you to remove the pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fuel lines indeed will splash a bit when you disconnect them, not a big deal, just wrap a rag around the connection points before you pull it off to contain the spillage. Another hint is try not to prime(cycle key, turn on bike) your bike for a good while (hours) to allow for the fuel line pressure to decrease. I've made that mistake and got some decent fuel spray because I had primed it minutes prior to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a carb'd bike.

The fuel pump is external, next to the shock, so the lines coming from the tank are not pressurized.

Back
Top Bottom