Shipping Rates from the US - Online Parts | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Shipping Rates from the US - Online Parts

Plz post the store names. I'm heading to London/Paris and want to pick up some cafe-chic parts.

Going to check this one out in person:
IMG_3601.jpg

IMG_3409.jpg

That's the style Chappell Customs in TO/LA does.

'3 hour trip - can't lose'? 'Easy and fast'? Or you could just go 30 minutes to Mississauga and pay 5 bucks to crossborderpickups.ca

+ tax & duties?
http://crossborderpickups.ca/rates/
Duties and Taxes

Duties and taxes reimbursement will be required at the time of the pickup of the item. Duties and taxes are provided at the time the details of the package are provided by the customer. We collect the duties and taxes in Canadian dollars. A transaction fee of 3% may be charged if paying for the duties and taxes by credit or debit card.

i'm not clear on this?
http://crossborderpickups.ca/benefits/
Duties and Taxes We take care of the customs process and also pay customs duties and taxes on your behalf, saving you the hassle and the delays. You only pay the government taxes when you pick up your items. We do not charge you any other fees other than the government taxes and our service fees.

looks like just tax is xtra? gst only?

Last edited:
'3 hour trip - can't lose'? 'Easy and fast'? Or you could just go 30 minutes to Mississauga and pay 5 bucks to crossborderpickups.ca

Yep, makes for a nice trip.

Thanks for the crossborderpickups link. Been using MyUS for years but it's become quite expensive.

Also going to give crossborderpicks a try, especially in the winter when driving down to Niagara Falls is iffy. I didn't make it for over a month last winter due to snow storms on the days I was planning to go. I always declare everything - I've been let through a few times without paying but it's definitely becoming less common lately; I think the tax people are cracking down on the officers.

Too bad they don't have a location in Hamilton area though. Driving to Mississauga for me is almost as unappealing as going over the border :p

I just picked up a package from crossborderpickups. Honestly, the whole operation is sketchy as hell. It's one guy in a barebones industrial space, and when he went in the back I could see that their back garage/delivery reception door was left wide open.

No doubt they're a young business running on a shoestring, but it doesn't look very serious.

Very convenient and cheap service though. Probably fine for low-dollar items. I'll keep using MyUS for more expensive stuff.

The most I have ever had to pay for shipping from the US is $10 and that was for two large size panniers via USPS.
It sounds like the person trying to sell you these parts is a gouger. Shop elsewhere.

The most I have ever had to pay for shipping from the US is $10 and that was for two large size panniers via USPS.
It sounds like the person trying to sell you these parts is a gouger. Shop elsewhere.

I paid $150 for a rim from California. I don't know what you order but $10 would cover the cost of a pair of gloves.....maybe.

I Ordered in the past from Ebay and always send an email to the seller if they could declare less value at the Customs. I never pay any brokerage fees.

Last edited:
I used to order a crapton of stuff from the USA, not anymore because of the exchange... My cardinal rule was always that if the seller shipped exclusively with UPS, run away screaming. The infamous UPS brokerage charge has been mentioned here a few times which is nothing but a giant cash-cow for UPS that they continue to extort from people to this day. Just two weeks ago someone unknowingly shipped my son a package with $25 worth of beef jerky (Yes, beef jerky, long story) and the UPS guy shows up at the door asking for nearly $60 before he'd hand it over. $50 for the brokerage fee, and $10 in taxes and handling charges.

Basically, avoid UPS like the plague UNLESS the item is shipping with no value in which case UPS won't charge the brokerage fee, but even then, after being stung a few times I refuse to give them a dime of my money in any fashion.

So, if a seller won't ship USPS for me, I take my money elsewhere. USPS translates to good ol' Canada Post on our end - small items show up in your mailbox, large items go to your local postal outlet for pickup there. Convenient, and the fees are very reasonable - you basically pay the taxes due (if assessed) and the handling fees are a few bucks.

I paid $150 for a rim from California. I don't know what you order but $10 would cover the cost of a pair of gloves.....maybe.

Allow me to suggest that $150 for one wheel rim shipped by post is very overpriced.
Did you check the postage on the package when you received it?
$150 is what you might expect to pay for something weighing around 50 pounds.

I'm gonna call shenanigans on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allow me to suggest that $150 for one wheel rim shipped by post is very overpriced.
Did you check the postage on the package when you received it?
$150 is what you might expect to pay for something weighing around 50 pounds.

Come to think of it, it was two rims.

Beleieve me I didn't want to pay it but there's no choice. The wheels I need aren't the easiest to find so I paid what I had to in order to get them. Shipping also goes by size so unless they were cut in 1/2 I didn't really have an option. They were shipped usps.

Either way unless your buying sheets of paper from Buffalo shipping costs much more then $10 or the seller paid for it.

Shipping is what the seller makes of it. Some use it as a profit driver, particularly a lot of eBay sellers. List $50 item for $30, charge $30 for shipping that only costs them $10.....profit.

And large bulky items cost more to ship regardless of weight, it's called cubing. Shipping an empty appliance box full of feathers (for example) will cost as much as shipping a fridge box with an actual fridge in it - it takes up the same amount of space on the truck. It's only small items where weight trumps size.

Shipping is what the seller makes of it. Some use it as a profit driver, particularly a lot of eBay sellers. List $50 item for $30, charge $30 for shipping that only costs them $10.....profit.

And large bulky items cost more to ship regardless of weight, it's called cubing. Shipping an empty appliance box full of feathers (for example) will cost as much as shipping a fridge box with an actual fridge in it - it takes up the same amount of space on the truck. It's only small items where weight trumps size.

I had 3 diesel injectors sent from Cali to Michigan via USPS Priority Mail (not the fastest but not the slowest) and shipping was $19US.

I've heard some tall tales in my day but $10 to ship two large pannier boxes is a whopper if ever I've read one.

I've heard some tall tales in my day but $10 to ship two large pannier boxes is a whopper if ever I've read one.

The seller could very well have lost money on the shipping. A lot of private sellers don't realize how much shipping is for bulky items and might have listed them "will ship for $10" only to find out the actual cost was significantly higher..but they just decided to eat it to stay within what they advertised.

The same thing happens a lot on eBay. Casual sellers are often clueless about shipping costs until the time they're standing at the cash register at the post office.

The seller could very well have lost money on the shipping. A lot of private sellers don't realize how much shipping is for bulky items and might have listed them "will ship for $10" only to find out the actual cost was significantly higher..but they just decided to eat it to stay within what they advertised.

The same thing happens a lot on eBay. Casual sellers are often clueless about shipping costs until the time they're standing at the cash register at the post office.

A plausible theory.

Back
Top Bottom