Trailers and Hitch Mount Bike Carriers | GTAMotorcycle.com

Trailers and Hitch Mount Bike Carriers

MEANMCHN

Hey Guys,

I have a single axle utility trailer that I used to haul around my dirt bike and was thinking of going to a hitch mounted bike carrier. Anyone have any recommendations for brand/model?

I don't have a ton of room where I am so I have to store my trailer then pick it up when I want to use it. So the hitch mount is looking like a better idea.

Scott

Tongue weight is a frequent problem.

I use one it works great but you need to be sure your vehicle can handle the tongue weight

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I use mine ALL the time, to/from all track days (with my 07 R1), and I pick up all my friends new bikes and bring them home to them!!

Robert_zx6r.jpg

It's this model: http://www.versahaul.com/vhsportro.php

Got it brand new on Kijiji for $400 from someone who got it as a gift but wouldn't trust it to carry his Ducati :)

Plus these hitch receivers are not meant to be twisted (torqued) like that. AND you are covering your license plate.

Plus these hitch receivers are not meant to be twisted (torqued) like that. AND you are covering your license plate.
There is a place to relocate the plate into the rear of the Versahaul, and it comes with new brake/tail lights too. I just leave it like that for free 407 trips ;)

There's an adapter for the twisting and aftermarket are available as well. Its all about tongue weight with the carrier. I've got one with my pickup and I love it. I'm dreaming of ways to connect my pitbull to the back to make it even easier.

I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara with the trailer tow package. It's solid and I've towed before, just storing the trailer is such a hassle.

Thanks guys!

I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara with the trailer tow package. It's solid and I've towed before, just storing the trailer is such a hassle.

Thanks guys!

Unlimited (4-door) or the 2-door? Big difference!

Looking for a hitch carrier to haul a small bike (CRF70 ~139lbs) with my 2009 Honda Civic.
No space for a trailer currently.
Anybody doing something similar with a small car / small bike? What's your setup?

C'mon, I've done it better than that already with my "City Boy Pickup" (aka Civic). Looking for something a little more elegant.

CRF70 in the backseat of my '09 Civic (Note: need to temporarily remove the back seat, requiring a 10mm socket)

TxUODhk.jpg

HBhYis8.jpg

Here is what I would like to have...

dsc01885crop.jpg

From what I can find, honda civic hitches can take 200 lbs tongue weight (at <12" from the rear of the receiver).

You are looking at 139 lbs + weight of rack (and in the mazda 3 pic, it is at least 18" from the rear of the receiver). You are pushing the limits of everything here and although people have moved large bikes around this way, personally I wouldn't.

How much do you care about your car? If you used a rack and tipped the bike onto the trunk, the COG would move in and the trunk would help stabilize the bike and remove a lot of the ugly torsion loads off the hitch.

I will just about guarantee that the weight of the carrier plus bike, light as it may be, will be beyond the tongue weight allowed by the unibody of your vehicle.

Don't forget that these types of devices impose torque loads on the hitch that the vehicle or hitch manufacturer may not have anticipated in their design. A normal hitch ball cannot transmit any torque, and the bending moment is limited to the tongue weight x the distance between the hitch ball and the hitch.

Trailer-in-a-bag?

Back
Top Bottom