First trip down to PA | GTAMotorcycle.com

First trip down to PA

The_Marl

Site Supporter
So I've done a bunch of searching through threads here about riding in PA but thought I would ask for some advice. There are three of us going down together and all three are less than two years of riding experience. We are leaving Monday morning and coming back Wednesday night.

So what I am hoping for is route suggestions and hotel suggestions. Would prefer to stay in the same hotel both nights and basically use it as a base of operations. Ive got it nailed down to either Coudersport or Wellsboro so far.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Fort Erie border crossing then get onto US219 to Springville
Pick up PA44 and head south on it to PA144
Dont miss Hyner View State Park as the road up the mountain to the viewing area is the closest you'll come come to riding the Alps.

872 is a great route south of Coudersport

And check out Wykoff Run where it meets 872 at Renovo Road PA120

From Renovo you can go up and over the mountain on PA 144, lots of fun but watch out for deer, turkey and bear.

Renovo only has one hotel, the old YMCA, historic but antiquated.

Williamsport has a ton of hotels, but a bit steep I find.

Google Pennsylvania grand canyon to see some rivers and hills, quite picturesque.

My blog in my signature has a ride through the area from last year 'Pennsylvania bound' with maps.

You'll love it.

The nice thing about Coudersport is it's so central and an easy jump home in about 4 hours.

Be careful with deer on Wednesday - leave yourself enough time so you at the border no later than 7 pm this time of year.
Once you are on the slab it's not so crucial but on any other roads caution is needed morning and evening.

144/44 and Wykoff are must dos and 872 ( corrected ) and Kettle Creek are very nice.

How are you navigating?

Last edited:
Not to thread jack but is riding to the dragon and back in a weekend doable? Or would it be too fast of a pace to enjoy?

ps. Macdoc check your pms

The nice thing about Coudersport is it's so central and an easy jump home in about 4 hours.

Be careful with deer on Wednesday - leave yourself enough time so you at the border no later than 7 pm this time of year.
Once you are on the slab it's not so crucial but on any other roads caution is needed morning and evening.

144/44 and Wykoff are must dos and 867 and Kettle Creek are very nice.

How are you navigating?

Garmin mounted to my handlebars, Ill also purchase a few days on my Roam Mobility sim card for my iPhone in case I want to use Google Maps.

Garmin mounted to my handlebars, Ill also purchase a few days on my Roam Mobility sim card for my iPhone in case I want to use Google Maps.

You will lose gps and cell coverage halfway riding along 144/44.

So I've done a bunch of searching through threads here about riding in PA but thought I would ask for some advice. There are three of us going down together and all three are less than two years of riding experience. We are leaving Monday morning and coming back Wednesday night.

So what I am hoping for is route suggestions and hotel suggestions. Would prefer to stay in the same hotel both nights and basically use it as a base of operations. Ive got it nailed down to either Coudersport or Wellsboro so far.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I stay at the Best Western in Saint Mary's PA. The hotel is clean with a breakfast in the morning. It's in the middle of a bunch of good riding roads. If you'd like, I'll provide some routes.

I stay at the Best Western in Saint Mary's PA. The hotel is clean with a breakfast in the morning. It's in the middle of a bunch of good riding roads. If you'd like, I'll provide some routes.

I would love that thank you.

+1. Get good sleeps at a much more comfortable Best Western than the Renovo "Yesterday's". Amongst 3 people, you can split the cost of a room.

Bring:
Rain gear - not so much for the rain, but the mornings can be a bit chilly up in the mountains
Zip ties and tire patch kit - hope you won't need to use them
Some US cash - I just found it easier to deal in cash eventhough they accept credit cards down there
A mentality that you will not be able to use your cell phone - no reception in some spots.

Stick to posted speed limits when going through small towns. Take it easy with the roads up at the mountains as mentioned before, lots of wildlife.
Have a fun and safe trip!

Not to thread jack but is riding to the dragon and back in a weekend doable? Or would it be too fast of a pace to enjoy?

ps. Macdoc check your pms

I would personally say no. About 1300km from here to there. Two days down/two days up is certainly do-able, but you will only find out how much mileage you are comfortable with in a day once you do some touring.

Some people will make it a three day trip by throwing their bikes in a trailer and taking the interstate.

So I've done a bunch of searching through threads here about riding in PA but thought I would ask for some advice. There are three of us going down together and all three are less than two years of riding experience. We are leaving Monday morning and coming back Wednesday night. So what I am hoping for is route suggestions and hotel suggestions. Would prefer to stay in the same hotel both nights and basically use it as a base of operations. Ive got it nailed down to either Coudersport or Wellsboro so far.Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
You're just going to miss a group of us. will be back before you head down..

Thanks for all the tips guys, much appreciated. I think we will stay in St Marys like suggested.

Thanks for all the tips guys, much appreciated. I think we will stay in St Marys like suggested.

Forgot to mention... an alternative will be Williamsport (other direction in the East). Nice town to stay in, and you can use it as a home base. Kick back and relax at the Bullfrog Brewery at night :) and it's a short walk from the hotel (we stayed at the Hampton's which is conveniently located across a Wegman's)

You will lose gps and cell coverage halfway riding along 144/44.

GPS works.

You can look up my thread for some inspirational routes. Love how this sub-section of the forum really gets together to make sure everyone has a good time :)

If you have an iPhone then you can snag TomTom for voice nav when there is no cell and the only reason I recommend it highly is for the feature Winding Roads which makes any ride an adventure without having to program in every little turn.

You just set your destination, choose one of three levels of winding roads and set it to avoid dirt and it will take you places you may never find even poring over googlemaps.

$50 or so one time purchase gets you all the maps for Canada and the US.

http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/product...-ipad/index.jsp?WT.Click_Link=home_quick_link

There are a few other useful offline nav programs.

••

You are a bit time tight but putting Lethchworth State Park into the route home puts you in the way of lovely scenery and fab food.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...ark-NY-Route-Suggestions&highlight=letchworth

If you get there around 4 pm and have a meal you'll still hit the border well before dark.

Best going down is leave just at first light and slab it to the end of 400 then down 16 to Olean will put you into good riding areas before lunch.
Some prefer 219.to the west a bit.
Here is your general region just south of Buffalo.

Last edited:
GPS works.You can look up my thread for some inspirational routes. Love how this sub-section of the forum really gets together to make sure everyone has a good time :)
I'll post a quick PA ride report later in the week.. We just got back back late last night.. rode thru the thunderstorm down in Halton region on the QEW.. brutal, but at least traffic was moving. some new great roads, and others not so great (pot holes and tar snakes in NY) . Saw a few deer, funny though, both times it was mid afternoon and NOT Dusk/dawn.Oh, And I love the NEXUS card! ;-) Saved me a bit of time

I'll post a quick PA ride report later in the week.. We just got back back late last night.. rode thru the thunderstorm down in Halton region on the QEW.. brutal, but at least traffic was moving. some new great roads, and others not so great (pot holes and tar snakes in NY) . Saw a few deer, funny though, both times it was mid afternoon and NOT Dusk/dawn.Oh, And I love the NEXUS card! ;-) Saved me a bit of time

Yep - I just got back from Johnstown, PA for the Thunder in the Valley rally which was tagged on to a visit to my sis and brother-in-law who live in Johnstown. We saw lots of deer and all mid-day - not dusk or dawn when you are looking out for them - and one crossing the road just before a shopping mall ??? So heads up for deer all the time.

I would personally say no. About 1300km from here to there. Two days down/two days up is certainly do-able, but you will only find out how much mileage you are comfortable with in a day once you do some touring.

Some people will make it a three day trip by throwing their bikes in a trailer and taking the interstate.

I did it in four days on my bike last year in October, but for just a weekend I agree it would be too much highway time for too small a return. I won't say you can't do it with the long summer daylight hours, but you would be hitting the best (and most technical) riding roads after an already grueling day on the interstate. The 401 is boring, I-75 is an armpit of a highway from Detroit to just outside Cincinnati - the view of the Cincinnati skyline is kind of neat from the bridge and once you hit Kentucky the highway itself is actually quite scenic and fast. And I'm from Hamilton, so I get to shave 1 1/2 hours travel time from someone coming from Toronto. 3 days I might do it, depending on my mood.

So trip got cancelled for unavoidable reasons, I do appreciate all the advice though and will use it for the next time we plan to go down to PA.

Having said that, we are going to head into Algonquin Park tomorrow for a day trip, I've got a route planned but any advice/criticisms would be much appreciated. Keep in mind this is a day trip, no chance of an overnight. Any thing we should stop and see along the way?

https://goo.gl/maps/fKU5O

**EDIT** We are coming back on the slab part, thinking to leave the most boring part until the end of the day.

Back
Top Bottom