Motor Swap Mechanic | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motor Swap Mechanic

Hammie

Site Supporter
So my beloved 84 Interceptor 1000 appears to be terminal with a dead motor. Not surprisingly my regular shop is less than enthusiastic about taking on the project and I'm not to keen on spending a fortune on a 30 year old bike. That said there are a few parts bikes and motors around. Any suggestions on a backyard mechanic who might want to take it on as a winter project.

All suggestions appreciated.

Hammie

So my beloved 84 Interceptor 1000 appears to be terminal with a dead motor. Not surprisingly my regular shop is less than enthusiastic about taking on the project and I'm not to keen on spending a fortune on a 30 year old bike. That said there are a few parts bikes and motors around. Any suggestions on a backyard mechanic who might want to take it on as a winter project.

Hammie

I pulled the engine on my Interceptor 500 - in my living room and rebuilt the top end on the dining room table.

Lift the bike off of the engine, don't attempt to pull the engine from the bike.

One nightmare I could have avoided: Mark and locate exhaust on the rear side before dropping the engine. You'll have one hell of a time getting right otherwise.

One last piece of advice - don't waste your money on this bike. I owned a bunch of VF's, 500 and 750s. Find a VFR750, you won't believe how much better they are.

Hammie[/QUOTE

I know someone not quite a backyard mechanic who will do it and for a fair price. He does all my stuff and is a veteran of the race track. But he is out here all the way in AYR. I also know a guy in brantford who does good work he does my Dyno and hightech stuff. a bit more of a specific bike pro and will cost you more. If your okay with bringing it this far out.. Call them and check..someone else might also give you a name of someone closer.

Yates small engines
60 Melair Dr, Ayr, ON N0B 1E0
(519) 632-8009

Cycle pro brantford
17 Easton Rd #5, Brantford, ON N3P 1J4
(519) 754-0200

One last piece of advice - don't waste your money on this bike. I owned a bunch of VF's, 500 and 750s. Find a VFR750, you won't believe how much better they are.

My first bike was the 500. While I'm sure it's what kept me alive at 17 and all, I loathed it. After riding a friends vfr 750 and then buying my first zx7r I never looked back. That said for a noob and especially a young hot head who knew it all like I did the 500 was the perfect bike to learn on.

Thx Folks

The 500 version was my first bike as well. Probably why I'm even considering this financial folly. Sentimental attachment only, I've got a garage full of other bikes that are faster, lighter, sleeker but that's not what it's all about now is it?

There's a guy that works at the local Costco with a 1000 Interceptor. I've seen it for the last 8 years or so parked under the shopping cart roof. It looks like it was pulled out of a lake nowadays but it's still going. Good luck on your repair.

Thx Folks

The 500 version was my first bike as well. Probably why I'm even considering this financial folly. Sentimental attachment only, I've got a garage full of other bikes that are faster, lighter, sleeker but that's not what it's all about now is it?

Well said. I must admit, my favourite bike may not be to everyone's taste either. No 'modern' bike dealership will touch it either.

004_zps8ce5aa8c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom