Helmet Cams | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Helmet Cams

So what about those people with spikes and what not on their helmets, would that not be protruding also ??

1. A helmet worn by a person,
(a) riding on or operating a motorcycle; or
(b) operating a motor assisted bicycle,
on a highway shall,
(c) have a hard, smooth outer shell lined with protective padding material or fitted with other energy absorbing material and shall be strongly attached to a strap designed to be fastened under the chin of the wearer; and

It's not the camera itself that's illegal, you're technically not allowed to have anything protruding from your helmet.

I personally think that's a retarded interpretation of that rule. The helmet itself still obviously has a hard smooth outer shell.

By their reasoning, helmet radios with boom microphones should also be banned, as would mohawks and removable sun visors

Doesn't really matter what WE think. Yes the mohawks or ANYTHING that protrudes more than 5mm from the outer shell of the helmet has been ruled illegal, In the laws subforum there is a discussion on it as well as at least links to two cases which resulted in a conviction.

As has been posted it is true "most" police officers aren't aware of the regulation and that these cases were successfully prosecuted. Just as with anything a rider could get stopped 10 times with the camera on and never have an issue with it. But it only takes one stop and you get a ticket.

As I stated it merely gives an officer a reason to stop you. Wear it if you want just be aware that you can get charged and if that is acceptable, (just like we often speed, we know it is illegal but the chances of getting pinched are relatively small), so many choose to deem it an acceptable risk. I have removed my Go Pro and now the WASP camera I replaced it with from my helmet and it is mounted to the bike.

As for communicators I have one of the Daytona ones on my helmet. Now one could argue, (I used the "clamp" style mount that it isn't "attached" to the shell of the helmet). The camera mounts use adhesive to attach to the shell. The communicator merely "grasps" the shell but is not affixed to the shell. I can actually slide my communicator along the side of my helmet.

The "interpretation" has been the same by at least two JP's, so in the eyes of the courts it has been "tested" by a defendant, with the rulings favouring the crown.

Back
Top Bottom