Helmet Cams | GTAMotorcycle.com

Helmet Cams

ifiddles

anyone here use any of the following helmet cams:
Swann Bolt 1080P HD
Bullet HD Pro
Fujita Xtreme HD Lite
... my fiancé and I are thinking of recording our rides but I really don't feel like paying for a GoPro...any thoughts or opinions?

I have the drift hd used it for 2 years and I like it battery life kinda sucks (think its 2 hours of recording)

I have the drift hd used it for 2 years and I like it battery life kinda sucks (think its 2 hours of recording)

I've used a Drift HD170 for the last 4 years and just picked up a Sony Action Cam for $150 with $100 worth of mounts included from Factory Direct. Here's what comes with it.

So far I like the videos coming out of the Sony.

I thought helmet cams were illegal?

I believe you can mount it anywhere except on your helmet.

I thought helmet cams were illegal?

I believe you can mount it anywhere except on your helmet.

technically yes... but so is speeding.

anyone here use any of the following helmet cams:
Swann Bolt 1080P HD
Bullet HD Pro
Fujita Xtreme HD Lite
... my fiancé and I are thinking of recording our rides but I really don't feel like paying for a GoPro...any thoughts or opinions?

Go even cheaper and get one of these..

http://www.dx.com/p/sj4000-1-5-tft-...door-sports-digital-video-camera-black-288812

Is it a cheep knock of but from the reviews it gets only it seems like a quality product.

Also this crazy thing!

http://www.dx.com/p/dualane-360-deg...pole-for-gopro-hero-2-3-3-322204#.U6xKfo1dUQs

Last edited:
as far as I know contour is back up and running, I know you can still buy the Contour+ and Roam 2 from their website, amazon and other places.

But the Contour action cam is even smaller. I saw a rider with a contour cam mounted on his helmet here at work and I couldn't even tell he had it on until I was next to him.

Which is where the copper is standing when he stops you and then again when he hands you the ticket..lol Just kidding. It isn't a high priority for most officers but it does provide them a reason to stop a rider

so my fiancé's son had a contour and he gave it to us...picked up some mounts for it at radio world...with regards to the whole illegal thing, I am assuming on the side of our helmet would be the best place to put it...however, wouldn't it only record mostly only one sided action...sorry if it sounds dumb but I really have no experience with these things...

I have contour+2 that I got last year when it went bankrupt. I was glad that they are back in business.

One thing though, I'm not really using it as much as I thought I would.
Capturing video is one thing, but to make it worthwhile, you'd have to edit it and that's where I lack knowledge. I could learn and try it out though I guess.

There are 2 gripes I have with Contour
1) Battery doesn't charge fast. Often times, I thought it'd be fully charged by plugging it in but it didn't and after 40min or so, it would run out of battery while riding. The battery indicator is either red, orange, or green. If it's greater than 50%, it's green.
But I'm guessing it has to do with the output of the charging source. I used a different charger and it's better.
2) It's a bit on the heavy side compared to GoPro.

Else, it's good. I love the fact that it records GPS, you can set-up using your phone via bluetooth. When you use the Storyteller program on your computer, it uses google map to layout the maps with telemetries like speed, elevation, location.

Other

Can anyone explain the logic behind helmet cam's being illegal?

It's not the camera itself that's illegal, you're technically not allowed to have anything protruding from your helmet.

1. A helmet worn by a person,
(a) riding on or operating a motorcycle; or
(b) operating a motor assisted bicycle,
on a highway shall,
(c) have a hard, smooth outer shell lined with protective padding material or fitted with other energy absorbing material and shall be strongly attached to a strap designed to be fastened under the chin of the wearer; and

It's not the camera itself that's illegal, you're technically not allowed to have anything protruding from your helmet.
Not a lawyer, don't wear a helmet camera.

However; I read (c) as an indication of the helmets construction requirements. Couldn't it be argued that even though there's a camera on the helmet, the helmet itself "has a hard, smoother outer shell lined......etc"? I'm sure someone with more legal knowledge could chime in.

Not a lawyer, don't wear a helmet camera.

However; I read (c) as an indication of the helmets construction requirements. Couldn't it be argued that even though there's a camera on the helmet, the helmet itself "has a hard, smoother outer shell lined......etc"? I'm sure someone with more legal knowledge could chime in.

Sure get caught and try it.

I'm pretty sure most cops don't know that rule, although they might have issues with a camera. I still use mine when out on group rides though, but it normally isn't mounted when commuting.

Should also add the one time I was pulled over for speeding the cop never said anything about my Sena comms unit, which also breaks the rules, in theory.

Back
Top Bottom