First long distance ride | GTAMotorcycle.com

First long distance ride

ifiddles

so my fiancé and I are thinking of heading down to Snowshoe WV to ride the Pocahontas County motorcycle routes in August (coming from Cambridge ON - west of Toronto - 840 km one way)...anyways, I have ridden the highways up here but not in the US...any thoughts on what to expect?...I know traffic depends on day and time of day, but is US 79 South similar to the 401 here in terms of driver etiquette (or lack thereof LOL)?...am I just being paranoid?...this will be my first long trip (max I have done so far is 450 km in one day) so I am probably overthinking it...

The on ramps are much shorter, so be prepared for cars and tractor trailers moving into the left lane when they see traffic attempting to merge.

Tractor trailers tend to make more aggressive lane changes in order to pass slower moving vehicles.

Construction zones tend to be much longer than what we are used to.

Personally I would ride south on secondary roads. Have a look at:

New York 16
Pennsylvania 44/144
Even 219 is more fun as a route.

I was there on the May long weekend, and there was gravel in some of the corners due to intense rain washing it down the mountain.

Watch out for wild life, and consider emergency medical coverage for the trip. PC charged me around 28 dollars for four days.

I love riding south of the border, and West Virginia has some awesome roads for it.

If you are going to slab it the whole way, consider getting a throttle rocker or cramp buster for the highway portions. You'll be glad you did.

Oh, the state troopers tend to park on the other side of the bridge behind the bushes in the median. Lol. I try not to ride faster than 10mph over the limit, and it seems to work for me.

First I want to congratulate you on your choice of destination for your first long distance ride. Although I've ridden California and Colorado WV still remains a favorite destination. It's relatively close, offers a taste of Southern Hospitality, and the roads are very lightly traveled once you get off the interstate. Make sure you also hit Seneca Rocks, Spruce Knob and Germany Valley. These are all with in an hour's drive of Elkins. I have stayed in Marlinton many times. It is in Pochahontas County. Your fears about driving in WV are unfounded. Drivers generally use the left lane just for passing (as it was intended), however, be vigilant about dear. There are a lot of them in WV (but no worse than PA). 79 is nothing like the 401. It features constant flowing curves and forested hlls. Its actually nice for an interstate, but I would go down via 219 unless time was a factor. I find Elkins is an excellent base camp. It is with in 2 hours of all the best roads. There are too many good roads to mention. Have fun! May be this link will help:

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/West-Virginia_124.html

Last edited:
so I'm reviving this thread because we didn't make it down there last year, but we are planning on going this year in late July and I was wondering if there's anything else other than what was mentioned in the previous replies that I should be looking at or taking into account...I have CAA plus so we're good to go for motorcycle issues...I have out of country coverage through work so I'm to go for medical help...I've been told cell reception is awful so I need to check with Telus if they partner up with AT&T (apparently the only service provider in this area)...never been riding in mountains so I'm kind of nervous...

i'm with telus too - buy one of their roaming plans for the time you are away.
after this trip, riding in the mountains will make you drool.

Keep in mind that WV doesn't have a roaming plan with any Canadian Phone company, or didn't the last time I was down that way. Phone was useless once I entered that state.
Mind you, the last few trips, we've always just passed through WV in one long glorious day. Stayed in VA and MD those trips.

so I'm reviving this thread because we didn't make it down there last year, but we are planning on going this year in late July and I was wondering if there's anything else other than what was mentioned in the previous replies that I should be looking at or taking into account...I have CAA plus so we're good to go for motorcycle issues...I have out of country coverage through work so I'm to go for medical help...I've been told cell reception is awful so I need to check with Telus if they partner up with AT&T (apparently the only service provider in this area)...never been riding in mountains so I'm kind of nervous...

Been a long time since I was down that way. The interstates are fine, I-77 turnpike is absolutely beautiful. Beware of the back roads, they are very twisty and VERY narrow and there is nothing stopping you from a 200-400ft drop off the side. The State routes are better, but you can happen upon a semi-truck on the hairpin turns (and there are plenty of turns) that will take up both lanes. As has been said, there is a lot of deer and wildlife, especially after dark, with the national parks being the biggest hazard. West Virginia and Virginia are among the most beautiful states in the U.S. for the rolling green mountains. Ride with caution on back roads and you should have a great time.

..I've been told cell reception is awful so I need to check with Telus if they partner up with AT&T (apparently the only service provider in this area)...never been riding in mountains so I'm kind of nervous...

Two up stay off the very worst of the switchbacks and twists as they are very narrow, steep and rough but by and large it's a lovely and very historical area.
I took my first ride down late last autumn and adored it.

some pics and stuff here from locals - maps and suggestions

http://www.stromtrooper.com/ride-re...west-virginia-late-october-suggestions-2.html

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...7&p=2240204&highlight=back+dragon#post2240204

Since you have a smart phone....an offline nav like ForeverMaps, TomTom, CoPilot are invaluable.
Some give you full voice nav and work where ever you can get a GPS signal.

I enjoyed 77 as far as slabs go it's pretty decent and avoids the worst of the urban areas.
Still heading down through NY via 216 or 16 and PA 144/44 should be done.

Do watch for wild life....do stay off the roads early morning and at dusk.....wild life everywhere.

Very historical area - Civil War and earlier. Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone turf.

This house goes back to the Indian Wars pre US war of Independence

See if you can get a meal at Key Ingredients - and these reviews are correct.
http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant..._Virginia.html

Fort Chiswell Mansion - just be careful of limited opening hours....but absolutely worth it to make the effort.

mansion_placeholder.jpg

http://fortchiswellmansion.com

All Macdonalds have wifi and you can eat very inexpensively and even if you are choosy reasonable healthy.

Sheetz is an interesting concept and of all places to get great espresso ....voted most unlikely but wow - single origin beans and a top end real espresso machine at every location.

Look for them starting in Pennsylvania. Fuel for bike and body....everything from junk to fresh salads and really good espresso in most locations.
Ordering system can be confusing first time but once you get used to the touch screen system you realize how efficient it is.

2560px-Sheetz_Altoona_PA.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheetz

https://www.sheetz.com

It's a great area.

I stayed at Super8 in Max Meadows for about $60 cdn but you need to book online to get that price.
I like the security for the bike, breakfast is okay, decent wifi and the chain usually has great beds and pillows.

GF and I were very impressed with the Super8s in both Canada and the US. Excellent beds and pillows and in Max Meadows the bike had a sheltered spot in front of the reception.

Scary part....

I recall as a kid travelling with parents when it really was $8 a night....an upscale from Motel6.

Super 8 Motels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_8_Motels
Jump to History - Super 8 has its roots in a marketing association for individually ... The original room rate was US$8.88, hence the numeric brand name.
‎History - ‎Super 8 today - ‎See also - ‎References

You are also right next to the Blue Ridge Parkway
http://www.nps.gov/blri/index.htm
and worthwhile to take in a section or two winding across the top of the Appalachians.
Slow going, enforced but very nice two up road with big vistas and no commercial traffic or signage.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom