Am I doing it right? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Am I doing it right?

ModularGT

I know that I have to put my foot back further on the peg, but just wondering if I'm leaning off properly? This was only my second track day and look forward to learning more and more, just don't want to develop bad habits.

Last edited:
For second track day, looks fine (and you're right about your foot position). You are looking through the corner, which is good. Your head looks centered on the bike, which is how I was taught (20+ years ago) and still do; the young kids nowadays seem to be taught to shift their entire upper body over including their head - necessary at MotoGP/WSB pace on their tires nowadays, but even some of the SOAR kids have to do that.

There is a fair bit of clearance left between your footpeg and the ground, and a fair bit of air underneath the bike. How much suspension travel are you using? How's your cornering speed compared to "the fast guys"? What you will probably find is that as you get experience, and you start using better tires, cornering speed goes up, the bike will start using more of its suspension travel, that footpeg will start getting closer to the ground (i.e. you had better move your toes as you noted yourself!), and you will have to hang off the bike less! With my bike (FZR400) I changed to wheels that allow the use of 250 GP tire sizes (slicks) a couple of years ago, and that required stepping up rear spring rate twice to control suspension bottoming and it's STILL bottoming the shock - no longer enough to be destroying the tire, so I am leaving it alone at this point. Point being, at some point you are likely to get into suspension fiddling.

Walk before you can run, though!

Last edited:
My 2 cents: looks pretty good, sliding back in the seat and getting your chest closer to the tank would help.
Spend $30 and get some of the best advice/tips available:
http://www.amazon.ca/Twist-Wrist-DV...1403741633&sr=8-7&keywords=twist+of+the+wrist

http://www.amazon.ca/Twist-Wrist-II...1403741633&sr=8-8&keywords=twist+of+the+wrist

This

Watch the movie Twist of the wrist 2 on you tube

terrible acting, but very informative when it comes to the physics of a motorcycle.

Welcome to the addiction

I was also going to say get over the tank more and get your head around the windscreen. Hanging off/dragging knee is not the objective anyway.

Everyone has their own style and you will find it with time.

Last edited:
My 2 cents: looks pretty good, sliding back in the seat and getting your chest closer to the tank would help.

+1

Can't remember where I read this, but there was a motorcycle racer whose coach told him the same thing, despite the racer arguing that he was already as low as he could go. So the coach tied the zipper of his suit to the tank with some string and when the racer got back to the pits, he was surprised to find his suit was unzipped all the way to his waist! :)

I don't try to kiss the mirror anymore. New target: kiss the handgrips...

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I'm happy to hear that I'm not too far off. Next time out I will work on leaning off less, foot position, sitting further back and smoother braking/throttle. I also will re-watch Twist of the Wrist.

Just for reference, I was running 1:32's for the most part, pace for me felt comfortable without feeling like i'm pushing myself, I was just out having fun. I have friends that can get around TMP in 1:16, no idea how they are loosing 16 seconds off my time, but they've been doing this for 10 years.

You look great. More lean angle will come as you increase corner speed. Your body position is fundamentally good and will work fine as you get faster. Nice!

Back
Top Bottom