Need a furnace expert asap please | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need a furnace expert asap please

minidisco

Site Supporter
We are dying of heat. With the help of Travis, we tried various things on the furnace to get the thermostat to activate the air conditioner - and in the end, we concluded that a new logic board was required. Well, it came today, it was installed, and the reaction is EXACTLY the same as with the previous board:

- air conditioner not responding
- heat responding immediately (no problem)
- fan only responding if heat is asked for; not at all otherwise
- outside condenser unit never turns on

We don't know what to do, and the heat is killing us. Any suggestions?

Do you have power to the outside unit? Check breakers/fuses then check at the disconnect by the unit. Oh, maybe someone turned off the disconnect by the outside unit?

The problem is inside - it has nothing to do with fuses or switches.

If the fan activates, thermostat works, but outside unit never turns on. That would be my first stop. You seem convinced the problem is inside. But how have you checked the outdoor unit.

Have you double checked wiring behind your wall thermostat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the fan activates, thermostat works, but outside unit never turns on. That would be my first stop. You seem convinced the problem is inside. But how have you checked the outdoor unit.
Have you double checked wiring behind your wall thermostat?
That's just it: to begin with, the fan doesn't activate unless it's set to heat. Two different technicians came to check the thermostat: first it was the EnerSource guys who installed the new "intelligent thermostat" and then it was Travis, who is a licensed AC technician (for outside); a 3rd technician came to visit when I called EnerSource back, hoping their first guy was wrong and the installation was incorrect (which it wasn't). All parties agreed that the logic board fried - to the extent where Travis tried to by-pass it by connecting an external controller directly to the cool setting from the thermostat.. but because it's an "intelligent thermostat" it was looking for the logic board so that test went nowhere.

Ahhh. Ok now I understand. Unfortunately I will be of no use to you on this.

Except to maybe bypass the thermostat. I dont know what goes into those new intelligent ones though but replacing a thermostat is basic childs play. Get a cheap one and test it.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

If the unit worked with the current thermostat then it should be good. If it worked with the old one and not this one, then it's wired wrong, if it worked with both then check the capacitor.

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Did the new thermostat ever operate the AC properly before or is this the first time it was put to the test?

Relevant thread so I will post as well

Air cond blows but will only get down to about 24. (Set for 21.5) Pregnant wife is hot. Lol. Go outside and see this:

lF7j5UU.jpg

Turned off air but left fan on for a couple hours. Ice melted. Turned air back on and blew cold. Went to bed woke up to house at 22.5 and ice again. Any ideas?

Kellen, that's usually the signs of a low refrigerant charge.

Edit: I would also check the air filter and return ducts for restriction. Another possibility is a dirty evaporator that's reducing airflow over it. Apart from the simpler things you're looking at a service call.

Last edited:
Kellen, that's usually the signs of a low refrigerant charge.

Edit: I would also check the air filter and return ducts for restriction. Another possibility is a dirty evaporator that's reducing airflow over it. Apart from the simpler things you're looking at a service call.

Turns out you are right...low charge. There was a cap/seal not all the way tight and some oil residue around the cap. It was at 28 but needed to be at 75 (?)He filled er back up and were rolling again.

Turns out you are right...low charge. There was a cap/seal not all the way tight and some oil residue around the cap. It was at 28 but needed to be at 75 (?)He filled er back up and were rolling again.

That crap is expensive.

Eeek, he had a pink cylinder about maybe 2/3 size of a propane tank. Hooked it up and opened it for like 5-10 seconds

He didn't charge you?

No. It's a guy I know who does a lot of work at my workplace. He popped by my place after work. Testing it and adding a bit took like 15 minutes

Back
Top Bottom