Europe 2013 - 13 day loop through the Dolomites, Alps and Vercors | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Europe 2013 - 13 day loop through the Dolomites, Alps and Vercors

Day 12

Day 12: Wolfenschiessen, Switzerland to Damuls, Austria
i-RNSSJ4k.jpg

Click HERE for a more detailed view of our GPS tracks in Google Maps.
i-PvZg3Vp.jpg

Checking out of hotel Ochsen. I cursed those low doors after hitting my head at least twice during our stay. :D
i-fh827D2.jpg

We head North as we leave Wolfenschiessen, back towards Lake Lucerne. On a schedule, we arrive just in time as the Beckenried to Gersau ferry comes in.
i-bPfPJH4.jpg

i-xCP7qnQ.jpg

Parking the bikes and taking a look at the GPS. You don't see that route everyday. :D
i-PqRBbKF.jpg

i-5nTt4q9.jpg
i-pphgsjk.jpg

On the open water.
i-BWtHM2t.jpg

Approaching the other side.
i-MNhBnMm.jpg

i-pFbKfRb.jpg

Arriving at the medieval town of Schwyz, Switzerland a short while after the ferry ride.
i-TxRNtFL.jpg

Heading East we start the Pragel pass, which is closed on weekends. We've planned the trip accordingly to make sure we hit Pragel on a weekday.
i-S82DJdr.jpg

Starting the climb, this small jaunt through the high trees reminds us of the start of the Acherli pass from yesterday.
i-GXh2ZdF.jpg

Stopping for more pictures. Like the Acherli, only locals here.
i-ZRqQrJJ.jpg

The tree line opens up for an outstanding view along the narrow road with the waterfalls flowing down from the mountains in the distance.
i-fWx4GDS.jpg

The view looking back from the same spot.

Day 12: Continued....

i-JW72Dcv.jpg

Soon after we arrive at the highest point as we pass a farmer and his cows.
i-xQs898t.jpg

Megan watching the cow as it gallops down the mountain side to the barn below. This thing moved like a horse... didn't even know cows could move so fast.
i-2Pm9w6R.jpg

i-QzPLdrt.jpg

i-xg7Dwwd.jpg

The road alongside the edge of a valley.
i-SHtSsjR.jpg

A river flowing from the top of the mountain to the bridge below us.
i-C6FfvBJ.jpg

The sky opens up as we reach the East side of the Pragel pass - the landscape completely changes.
i-TzWjCZK.jpg

Riding downwards with the Klöntalersee in view.
i-pjs2wrt.jpg

i-Vm2Vmvr.jpg
i-swqWhCd.jpg

Hanging out by the lake… this place is paradise.
i-GpJ3RpV.jpg

Reaching the East end of the lake.
i-BZRfR9J.jpg

From here we ride through to Vaduz, Liechtenstein and get our passport stamped like proper tourists at the kiosk in town.
i-fGBSBJv.jpg

Stopping for lunch along a random side street in Vaduz.
i-Q7hP9QG.jpg

i-wdqKWX2.jpg

We're not long in Liechtenstein before pass through the Austrian border and land ourselves in Laterns just in time for a beautiful scene as the sun pierces through the clouds.
i-gwN6rMK.jpg

The road ahead.
i-9RtqDkm.jpg

i-gMN6wMn.jpg

Higher we go us we climb the Furka Pass (another one) towards Damuls, Austria. We've ridden two "Furka" passes in the last 24 hours. :D

Last edited:
Day 12: Continued....

i-qRwcR3W.jpg

i-jXLbb9s.jpg

Reaching the summit of Furka and looking East towards Damuls.

i-W24fXT4-M.jpg
i-c6TPLh8-M.jpg

It's our last night of the trip, and we score an incredible stay at the Alpen Resort Damuls. A brand new place, and we're upgraded to a suite for 80 euros! My dad also gets his own suite for 40 euros! :D
i-SFvmxGk.jpg

We make our way to the spa before the end of the night.

Tomorrow's our last day on the road as we head back to Munich to return the bike. :( Where's the time gone?!

Day 12 riding video:

[video=vimeo;98548023]http://vimeo.com/98548023[/video]

Day 13

Day 13: Damuls, Austria to Munich, Germany
i-nVm7xbj.jpg

Click HERE for a more detailed view of our GPS tracks in Google Maps.

i-xWV5Ssm.jpg
i-gm6mQBq.jpg

Breakfast at the Alpen Hotel Damuls before we head out. The last day of the trip has come. :(
i-hWp57q6.jpg

We load up the bikes for the last time.
i-JzFHQNQ.jpg

Heading Northeast and stopping in Schoppernau after passing through Au.
i-KdfZx2G.jpg

Back to back - I swear this scene was not staged. :rofl
i-Fvrjp9M.jpg

Our hopes for a dry last day aren't looking up, but the clouds do make for some dramatic views. :D
i-h4wSSWd.jpg

i-RjLcntC.jpg

Approaching the Hochtannberg pass there's some nice views to be had, especially looking back.
i-sct6ht3.jpg

The West side of the Hochtanberg pass has a floating road that reminds me of a smaller scale version of the Rt 2 (Gotthard pass) on our way to Andermatt a couple days ago.
i-qfQGWFM.jpg

Looking back in the direction we came.
i-QngpvnK.jpg

Riding Lech Valley Road (198) East.
i-2HPxWzp.jpg

Further along the 198 as we head North-East. Looking back at the wide valley we rode through on our way to Neuschwanstein Castle in Schwangau, Germany.

Day 13: Continued...

i-hTJ5Kzq.jpg

Arriving at the site of Neuschwanstein Castle we park below the Hohenschwangau Castle.
i-MHgcDbC.jpg

Close-by is a nice view of the Alpsee...
i-pTNFQZX.jpg

We stop and have our lunch along with that local beer I bought yesterday in Liechtenstein. :D
i-C35ZXzc.jpg

Arriving (by bus) at Neuschwanstein Castle. We find out we need to take a bus up the hill to the castle, there's no other way up. The lineup is just huge, we can't get over the sheer number of tourists here… and again it's September, can't imagine this place during the summer. No thanks!
i-wQKDDgD.jpg

The outside walls of Neuschwanstein.
i-Tp8dkqh.jpg

Walking into the busy Courtyard.
i-bk4wpZ5.jpg

You can really see how Walt Disney's inspiration came from this place.
i-rqxWPb3.jpg
i-mSh9TC3.jpg

We find out we need to take a guided tour to see the inside, and with the large number of people we'd have to wait a couple hours. There's no time, so we'll have to settle for the outside views.
i-jSRxWz7.jpg

Walking back to catch another bus down, we get a great view of the landscape.

The plan was to visit the Linderhof Palace as we take the St2060 East, but we've lost so much time in the busy crowds of Neuschwanstein, that we'd have to pass on by it.
i-g9nX9PH.jpg

Stopping in Ettal, just West of Oberau (Germany) for one last picture as we bid farewell to dad and go our separate ways. Dad's heading North for Oberammergau before returning the bike tomorrow, while we're heading straight for Munich to drop off the Explorer by 7pm.

We make the lone journey North along the 95 (Autobahn). Just as we're approaching the Autobahn, the action camera turns off for good as we max out our last memory card - Good enough timing for me. :D
i-L2JWQvm.jpg
i-LMrL5Rf.jpg

Winding through the congested streets of Munich (did I mention Octoberfest starts tomorrow? :D), we manage to gas up and drop off the bikes with some time to spare.

I know I've said this in every report so far, but this has been the best ride of my life. It really has gotten better and better, and a huge part of that really comes down to the adventure riding community, who helped me thoroughly plan out our route pre-trip - spots I would have never known to hit, and passes I would have just cringed to find out I missed had I not known about them. One of the main reasons I put this report together was to return the favor. I hope it inspires others to get out there and ride this incredible part of the world. It's like I said to my father before the trip (after our trip the year before) - A trip like this sure can add up but if you can afford it, the value you get out of it is something you could never put a price on… the photos, videos, and most importantly, the memories, will last a lifetime… it's been a pleasure reliving this trip with you all. Thanks to everyone who's followed along and offered kind words along the way.

And with that, I'll leave you with the closing video of the trip!

Day 13 riding video:

[video=vimeo;98643766]http://vimeo.com/98643766[/video]

Re: Day 11: Continued...

No NO thank you for sharing and reminding us that there are many more tours to be done. I am a PC kind of guy and do not know is there an adequate "replacement" for IMovie 10 I can use on the PC. Our next trip might be from Serbia to Greece-Turkey and back. That is next summer when I plan to go overseas. Looking forward to more info.
Thank you! Your 2012 trip sounds incredible. I used iMovie 10 to edit the videos, it's as easy as it gets in terms of video editing software. I'll put together a playlist at the end of the post. Look forward to your video!

Re: Day 11: Continued...

Amazing trip! - thanks for sharing. One tip (maybe it's just me) - photos appear over-processed - it may be camera mode, HDR or something like that... and I find it way too saturated, unnatural and difficult to look at after few shots... But keep them coming, I'm planning Euro trip, great to see all the possibilities :)
Have a great time!

Amazing trip, great report! I guess it does pay to stop and take lots of photos. Yours are amazing!

Props to your dad for toughing it out on a broken ankle. That's impressive. So glad it didn't ruin the trip, and glad to hear that all healed well.

Thanks again for your comments on the Explorer. I'm getting pretty stoked about our upcoming trip.

This post is indisputable evidence you Sir, are a hard-core enthusiast. The fact you picked one of the best regions in the world to ride was good research on your part. Well done! It is one of the best documented trips on this site with the best pictures anywhere. You went to a lot of effort in also posting great videos, and which will be viewed again during the snowy winter months ahead. Thanks for sharing.

boy do I miss riding in Europe after seeing this post with all the lovely roads and scenery. Too bad you got so much rain but the weather is very typical in the Alps.

BB

Appreciate the compliments everyone, glad you've enjoyed.

Face - My pleasure, enjoy that awesome trip you've got planned.

Back
Top Bottom