Hit and Run - Bloor @ Church. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hit and Run - Bloor @ Church.

Friend of mine had her car written off by a hit & run driver. Car was parked right outside her house which has various security cameras including one of the front entrance and street. The driver caught on camera smoked her and kept on going, her car was on the sidewalk demolished. No plate number for the other driver was obtained, but based on the video evidence, her insurance company deemed it not at fault and covered all expenses without adjusting her premium.

Absolutely true story, hope it goes as well for you. Insurance co was Chubb btw, they're known to be pretty unreal, maybe she just lucked out there

W

I have a feeling she got lucky. I'll report back any updates that happen.

Even with a plate number, you'd still have to put someone behind the bars of the motorcycle.. If he's all geared up, good luck with that one...

youll l&l be able to get ur deductible back. But in terms of getting any charges laid.....

Even with a plate number, you'd still have to put someone behind the bars of the motorcycle.. If he's all geared up, good luck with that one...

youll l&l be able to get ur deductible back. But in terms of getting any charges laid.....

Only for the charge. Get that plate number and the insurance wont make you pay the deductible

IIRC, if you can get a plate number, it is no deductible and covered under the comp part of your insurance so it doesn't affect rates. No plate number gets covered under collision as an at-fault accident (sadly it has to be this way or every bike crash would be a "hit and run"). Good luck

I believe it depends on the policy. OP, you may have "vandalism" under your coverage... then it won't be at-fault. It'll still count as a claim, but under a different category.

I have the case number and documentation. With it, I'm hoping that building security will now release the surveillance footage so I can try and get a plate. I will find out tomorrow...

They'll likely only release it to police.

Last edited by a moderator:

Immaterial, if the bike can be identified by plate. The insurance hit would go against the owner of the vehicle. That's really what matters to the OP.

I'll be on the lookout. :>

Looks like the dufus was lane splitting.. what's the bet the same rider uses the same route routinely.. who knows, maybe parked somewhere in the side streets..

i bet he takes that route often... keep an eye out if you see that bike chase him down!

Would insurance treat it as a hit and run if you don't have a plate but can show them the video of the incident?

So to give clarity on this, yes it is treated as a "Hit and Run" and shouldn't penalize me since I'm not at fault. What works in my favour is that there is a police investigation happening right now and there is actual footage of the rider damaging my bike, dismounting to pick it up, then leaving the scene. The bonus of having the plate # would lead to charges, a complete report, and a refund of my deductible.

So to give clarity on this, yes it is treated as a "Hit and Run" and shouldn't penalize me since I'm not at fault. What works in my favour is that there is a police investigation happening right now and there is actual footage of the rider damaging my bike, dismounting to pick it up, then leaving the scene. The bonus of having the plate # would lead to charges, a complete report, and a refund of my deductible.

great! ill keep a eye out to!

Yes this will be rated as a Hit and Run and this will not affect your rates, however as you stated you will be charged with a deductible and your absolutely correct once they find the plates your deductible will be refunded and this Claim will turn into DC PD under third party liability, the driver of the vehicle will then get slapped with a collision claim.

IIRC, if you can get a plate number, it is no deductible and covered under the comp part of your insurance so it doesn't affect rates. No plate number gets covered under collision as an at-fault accident (sadly it has to be this way or every bike crash would be a "hit and run"). Good luck

Sorry Greyghost but that's not the case. You can be charged with a Collision Not at fault - this is when you claim for a hit and run without any plates/proof/witness.

Sorry Greyghost but that's not the case. You can be charged with a Collision Not at fault - this is when you claim for a hit and run without any plates/proof/witness.

It typically would fall to the 'uninsured motorist' portion of your insurance, which generally as an applicable deductible. If, however, the other vehicle can be identified, say via a video, then a claim could be placed against that vehicle's insurance.

It typically would fall to the 'uninsured motorist' portion of your insurance, which generally as an applicable deductible. If, however, the other vehicle can be identified, say via a video, then a claim could be placed against that vehicle's insurance.

/ unidentified motorist. In any given case this will be reported to Autoplus either TPL or Coll claim.

...If, however, the other vehicle can be identified, say via a video, then a claim could be placed against that vehicle's insurance.

I'll soon find out. One of these cameras must have caught at least something. I hope one of the drivers he passed had a dash cam...

..and watch your rates skyrocket. "insurance", what a funny term.

Back
Top Bottom