Recommended itinerary for Thunder bay trip | GTAMotorcycle.com

Recommended itinerary for Thunder bay trip

happycrappy

Site Supporter
As the title says, anyone have a recommendation for this trip? The emphasis is on the ride, so I'm thinking 3-4 days. Any suggestions on where to stay over that's affordable? Stuff to do along the way, etc

The Algonquin Hotel/Hostel in Sault St Marie was around $50, pretty basic, nice patio for a cold one after a long ride. And the Thunder Bay International Hostel, just east of TB, a whopping $20 for a private room! This was in 2011.

Here's a ride report from a trip I did out that way a wile ago. http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...eport-North-Shore-of-Lake-Superior-and-beyond

I would suggest visiting the Terry Fox memorial in Thunder Bay, riding up # 6 from Little Current on Manitoulin Island to Espanola, riding up and down the 129 between Thessalon and Ranger Lake Rd, riding along the 556 between S.S.Marie and Searchmont, taking a rest stop at Old Woman's Bay along the Trans Canada and visiting the Aguasabon Gorge.

Definitely know that it can be quite a bit cooler along the north shore of Superior. If you are camping or hiking, then Pukaskwa and White Lake have nice spots. Gas can be about 10-15c higher than in the GTA in the more remote places.

It's a great ride!

Thanks!! Great help, I am looking forward to this trip.

Definitely make a stop at Old Woman's Bay. The Plaza Motor Motel in Sault Ste Marie on the US side is probably one of the charmingest places I've stayed at, can't recommend it enough. On the opposite end of the spectrum, do NOT stay at the Shoreline Hotel in Thunder Bay. I've stayed at a lot of dirtbag motels, this is the only one that I would never step foot in again.

Do not ride anywhere near dusk, there's a ton of wildlife.

I'd certainly go for the Mackinac Bridge by going one way up through Sarnia and Michigan given your time frame.

mackinac-bridge005.jpg

There is also a ferry across Lake Michigan as well part way up but I'd do the Mackinac and then along the south shore to Thunderbay and then up and around.

+1, deer and moose are dangerous at night. Also bring a good amount of bug spray, the skeeters are plentiful this time of year. If you do go through thunder bay, I highly recommend checking out the prospector steak house. On the higher end of price scale for thunder bay standards, but the prime rib is worth it. Very unique place. Its busy on the weekends, and they don't take reservations, during the week its not too bad. Cronos resturaunt is also quite good, but they have very odd hours, if you're in town for lunch.

Definitely make a stop at Old Woman's Bay. The Plaza Motor Motel in Sault Ste Marie on the US side is probably one of the charmingest places I've stayed at, can't recommend it enough. On the opposite end of the spectrum, do NOT stay at the Shoreline Hotel in Thunder Bay. I've stayed at a lot of dirtbag motels, this is the only one that I would never step foot in again.

Do not ride anywhere near dusk, there's a ton of wildlife.

I just came back from Superior Circle tour - I did it clock-wise, so I was in TB 2 days ago... Weather is unpredictable due to the water always being cold.
I liked Eagle Canyon Adventures as a stop-over, but know it's a dirt/gravel road leading up to it - couple of kilometers, not bad, I did it on sport-touring...
Watch for OPP... they are everywhere and aggressive. Feels like a bit of a shame - entire way around the lake you get no BS, then in that area, they are onto everyone like stink on ****... Really nice way to treat tourists (I knew about this so I took it easy).
Watch yous gas - area from Terry Fox monument going towards Wawa is under construction, and there is a long(ish) stretch of no gas stations.
Speaking of Monument, I had run-in with a deer on the road to monument (during daylight)... it is a nice little road, easy to get carried away.
Accommodations are still expensive on Canadian side - in Soo, there are cheap (very basic) motels. I think Pine Grove is $55/night. Bring bug spray, Soo was pretty bad.

Regarding recommendations on what to see; it depends on what you like - I like nature and native themes - There is so much to see along the way, I could spend a month in that area. Shane's write-up is good too.

Day to Soo and a day to TB - then back, it doesn't give you a lot of time for exploring - plan it carefully.

Have a great time if you decide to go!

Back
Top Bottom