Annual gas price bitching thread | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Annual gas price bitching thread

Ummmm buddy sent me this pic of his passat tdi in cruise. That's average at that speed. Once his gf started driving slower it went down to 5.8. This was the future 100 years ago. Why in the world do we still use gasoline?

When refining fuel is there a set amount of how much diesel and how much gasoline can be extracted out of oil, or is it entirely dependent on processing?

emu8y9y6.jpg

Sent from the future using my GOLDEN iPhone 30 SS n

Last edited:
Ummmm buddy sent me this pic of his passat tdi in cruise. That's average at that speed. Once his gf started driving slower it went down to 5.8. This was the future 100 years ago. Why in the world do we still use gasoline?

When refining fuel is there a set amount of how much diesel and how much gasoline can be extracted out of oil, or is it entirely dependent on processing?

emu8y9y6.jpg

Jeez, he must be merciless with it, didn't even let it warm up.

Ya gauge is broken... SUPER reliable otherwise

Yes, there is a set amount. I believe it's mostly dependent on the quality of the crude. "Sweet" crude yields more gasoline than "sour" crude, which mostly comes from the middle east. Refineries will typically maximise gasoline production at the expense of everything else because it's more profitable.

Fractional_distillation.gif

Different molecular chain levels yield different fuels. That's a picture of basic breakdown in a distillation tower. The basic process is that they boil the oil at high pressures and then let it cool. The higher it gets in the tower before cooling down and becoming a liquid, the lighter and less BTUs it has.

Now if they want more of one type of petro product than other, they will "crack" the molecular chain and get lighter products like gas and diesel from heavier stuff. This ofcourse is a more costly product and they tend to avoid doing it if they can.

Different molecular chain levels yield different fuels. That's a picture of basic breakdown in a distillation tower. The basic process is that they boil the oil at high pressures and then let it cool. The higher it gets in the tower before cooling down and becoming a liquid, the lighter and less BTUs it has.

Now if they want more of one type of petro product than other, they will "crack" the molecular chain and get lighter products like gas and diesel from heavier stuff. This ofcourse is a more costly product and they tend to avoid doing it if they can.
That's an excellent visual.

Nice diagram.

Correct term is Fractional Distillation. Lower more volatile compounds "condenses" & is collected, lol

Ah sorry, my Google wasnt as focused and in detail as your google. :rolleyes:

Nice diagram.

Correct term is Fractional Distillation. Lower more volatile compounds "condenses" & is collected, lol

emu8y9y6.jpg

Not bad, but I believe the numbers and the way this largish sedan achieved those numbers is "the future". I won't even get into the 100+ mpge plug ins coming.

dcbj8y.jpg

Last edited:
toyota is suppose to roll out it's hydrogen fuel cars in 2015. (select market where hydrogen fuel infrastructure is already in place.)

i'm curious how much km/$ they'll have.

Not bad, but I believe the numbers and the way this largish sedan achieved those numbers is "the future". I won't even get into the 100+ mpge plug ins coming.

dcbj8y.jpg

All cool, but my point is the future was here long ago. This car guns it when you floor it. Sure a gas civic might get close to the same MPG, but it's way slower. As for hybrid/electric/hydrogen the infrastructure is not here yet for a 2000km weekend. The torque curve on diesel is great. Mountain driving got it to 7l/100. Now... Time to see what it takes to stuff a diesel in a B4 awd audi. I know people have done it in B5s.

Sent from the future using my GOLDEN iPhone 30 SS

So I've noticed as the temperature gets warmer the price of gas increases. As it gets colder the price of gas decreases. I guess they figure that more people buys gas when the temp get warmer. They don't drive unless they have to when it is cooler.

My question is why is this more apparent in Toronto than the fringes of Toronto?

Sent from my tablet using my paws

Since I'm bored.
I assume this is how they purify old motor oil. They already know what temp motor oil will vaporise, so they can collect at that height of the column. Everything else will settle to the bottom or be burnt off.

My question is why are they so reluctant to take my used motor oil at crappy tire? Should be easier & cheaper to purify used oil than get newly refined oil

Since I'm bored.
I assume this is how they purify old motor oil. They already know what temp motor oil will vaporise, so they can collect at that height of the column. Everything else will settle to the bottom or be burnt off.

My question is why are they so reluctant to take my used motor oil at crappy tire? Should be easier & cheaper to purify used oil than get newly refined oil

The cost for waste disposal is often the more expensive part of a process.

The cost for waste disposal is often the more expensive part of a process.
Its been purified again, or recycled

Buddy in europe just mixes his old oil with diesel in his jeep beater. I just dump it in the sewer. Sure it might contaminate a bit of water, BUT driving to CT to dispose of it burns gas, which also pollutes.

My damn truck only runs good on supreme, I try not to keep track of the KM/L because it will just make me realize how crappy it actually is. All I know is right now its $120+ to fill it from empty and depending where I go and how much driving I do, I can fill that up anywhere from 1-3 times in a week. Ughhh! Maybe its time to trade it in for one of those tiny smart cars

I just dump it in the sewer. Sure it might contaminate a bit of water, BUT driving to CT to dispose of it burns gas, which also pollutes.

You're joking, right?

Back
Top Bottom