what is the best way to bypass Montreal... on the way to PEI | GTAMotorcycle.com

what is the best way to bypass Montreal... on the way to PEI

meester_jamie

Site Supporter
I plan to leave next wednesday, and head to PEI... 401 to Quebec, then head for rte 20 to Rivière-du-Loup, then Edmundston, and Fredericton,, and confederation bridge...

I find Montreal problematic to ride thru... and circumstances don't really allow me to be sightseeing this trip.. so I want to avoid as much congestion, and use easiest to ride roads...

Anyone ride thru Quebec recently and know a bypass route for Montreal ?

I don't have any magic route around Quebec other than suggesting going through the states, much less boring than the 401 and it shouldn't take that much longer. Using the 401, its only 14 hours Toronto to confederation bridge, probably less than 20 through the states.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The new route 30 autoroute de l'acier avoids Montreal. it is, however, a toll road.

Haven't been recently, but using the AR30 and sticking to the south shore shouldn't be too awful, though you're still in the outer suburbs. And, as mentioned, the 30 is a toll road.

I suppose if you really want to stay as far away as possible, you can go through the States (take route 37 from Cornwall, go across to route 11, keep going east until maybe then maybe take the 223 north after passing Champlain)

Take the Traverse OKA Ferry, then run the 640 along the top and down to the 40. Take the 40 on your way east... My wife and I did that on our way out east last summer in the car. We stopped in Quebec City as the half-way point.

I plan to leave next wednesday, and head to PEI... 401 to Quebec, then head for rte 20 to Rivière-du-Loup, then Edmundston, and Fredericton,, and confederation bridge...

I find Montreal problematic to ride thru... and circumstances don't really allow me to be sightseeing this trip.. so I want to avoid as much congestion, and use easiest to ride roads...

Anyone ride thru Quebec recently and know a bypass route for Montreal ?

Below is as good as it gets

montreal_zps506387e8.jpg

Exit 14 off 20

This route is about 50/50 regular streets and highway.

How much is the toll on the AR30?

Below is as good as it gets

montreal_zps506387e8.jpg

Exit 14 off 20

This route is about 50/50 regular streets and highway.

As an ex truck driver that used to go through Montreal a few times a week, I can confirm this is a great route around the city. You will still hit traffic at rush hour though on this route.

The new route 30 autoroute de l'acier avoids Montreal. it is, however, a toll road.
2.75? Well worth it!

But why ride slab the whole way? Head into the states and enjoy two days of riding.

Cross at Ganonoque, ride through the Adirondaks, cross Vermont on VT 17 to route 2, overnight around Farmington Me or Gorham New Hampshire, and enjoy mountains, rivers and blueberry fields.

The 401 and Autoroute 20 is for cars. ?

or go Ottawa to Mont-Tremblant, there are some nice riding roads that way

Cross at Ganonoque, ride through the Adirondaks, cross Vermont on VT 17 to route 2, overnight around Farmington Me or Gorham New Hampshire, and enjoy mountains, rivers and blueberry fields.

The 401 and Autoroute 20 is for cars. ��
Yup.

Or just take Snake Road.

Thanks! AR30 should work fine.. i didn't know about it.. I wish I could take the other suggested routes this trip,, but late july and aug will allow me to ride for the sights ,, and stop when I want...

Have you got a cramp buster and a throttle lock?

The 30 bypassing Montreal is probably as good as it gets if the 401/20 is the way you need to go. When you get to New Brunswick however, consider going cross country to Newcastle and down the Western side of the Province rather than through Fredericton. The route probably isn't any longer time wise and the roads are definitely much better. Here are two suggestions.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Edm...77b89f519b27!2m2!1d-63.1310704!2d46.23824!3e0

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Edm...77b89f519b27!2m2!1d-63.1310704!2d46.23824!3e0

Both routes go through Newcastle but the second one sticks to a more secondary road on the way to Moncton. Both routes cut off about 100 km of riding and keep you off the TransCanada which is a good thing in my books.

The 108 is rarely patrolled and you can make good time on it (just be sure to fill up in Grand Falls as there is only one gas station on the route and it's pretty sketchy).

The 30 bypassing Montreal is probably as good as it gets if the 401/20 is the way you need to go. When you get to New Brunswick however, consider going cross country to Newcastle and down the EASTERN side of the Province rather than through Fredericton. The route probably isn't any longer time wise and the roads are definitely much better.

I hear you ! ... I would rather tour than travel! I stop way toooo often when touring tho... and this trip has lots of planned stops ... which forces travel in the Montreal area.. which I'd rather avoid as much as possible

Both routes go through Newcastle but the second one sticks to a more secondary road on the way to Moncton. Both routes cut off about 100 km of riding and keep you off the TransCanada which is a good thing in my books.

The 108 is rarely patrolled and you can make good time on it (just be sure to fill up in Grand Falls as there is only one gas station on the route and it's pretty sketchy).

Back
Top Bottom