what is the best way to bypass Montreal... on the way to PEI | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

what is the best way to bypass Montreal... on the way to PEI

Since you'd still hit traffic I'd just stay on the 20 or cross before beaconsfield and get on the 40 all the way to trois riviéres. Anywhere in rush hour sucks.

A few years ago, I wanted to bypass the entire country of Quebec on the way to Nova Scotia.
There was a ferry to do just that.

Lmao! I have been back and forth to PEI by UHaul a few times in the past two years, and the amount of cops I see along Autoroute 20 is never less than 7 as compared to one OPP from Cornwall to Oshawa.

Seriously, get a throttle lock and a cramp buster for this trip. You'll thank me.

Even a 20 dollar 'Go Cruise'.

Lmao! I have been back and forth to PEI by UHaul a few times in the past two years, and the amount of cops I see along Autoroute 20 is never less than 7 as compared to one OPP from Cornwall to Oshawa.

Seriously, get a throttle lock and a cramp buster for this trip. You'll thank me.

I went on a near 1000km trip yesterday and good lord, it payed for itself. My wrists still are in a little bit of discomfort, 9-10hrs of riding with stops, but not as much as I imagine they could be.
I got the $20 version from Sturgess.

I found that odd the scarcity of the OPP odd. That's a LONNNG stretch of highway, with only 1 officer parked in the median.

One cop all weekend on the 20. 10 between Cornwall and the automatic morons can't drive city of Oshawa

Bypass Montreal and get no smoked meat sandwich? I'm having a hard time comprehending this.

Below is as good as it gets

montreal_zps506387e8.jpg

Exit 14 off 20

This route is about 50/50 regular streets and highway.

Exit 29 off rte 20 is actually a much better route,, very new, not shown on your map,,, then back onto 20 at exit 83 of AR30
we made it to Edmonston first night.. Charlottetown 3pm next day
Toll was $2

Bypass Montreal and get no smoked meat sandwich? I'm having a hard time comprehending this.

I couldn't actually say that sentence out loud if my life depended on it. Montreal driving is not what people make it sound like. I've been going there for years and have had no problems at all

Certainly the roads aren't any worse than Toronto's roads now.

Saldy, this isn't because Montreal's road crews picked up the pace or anything.

I couldn't actually say that sentence out loud if my life depended on it. Montreal driving is not what people make it sound like. I've been going there for years and have had no problems at all
I agree completely. Yes, they tend to drive fast and most on-ramps are only 3 feet long but the drivers are predictable, unlike T.O. where it's a 50/50 crapshoot of just how far up their butts their heads are.

While this post is a bit old, I wanted to provide some information for anybody coming across this post in search of a route to bypass Montreal in 2016. With all the massive construction projects underway, including replacing the Champlain Bridge, I urge everyone on motorcycle or other type of vehicle to bypass anything close to the downtown core.

I am from Montreal and these are the routes I take to go to the South Shore.

You can take Highway 30. Yes it has a toll but only one to cross over the St-Lawrence seaway at Beauharnois. At the moment it cost $2.50 CDN and you can pay cash or credit card or by Transponder (there is a mobile app). This is a great ride and mostly quiet. You can connect with Highway 20 just pass St-Bruno There is no other toll to exit the Highway.

The other way is to take highway 30 but go north to highway 40 (TransCanada). This is an easy ride as well until you get to the Metropolitan Expressway (the elevated part) to Highway 25 which will lead to the Lafontaine Tunnel in the east end which connects directly with Highway 20 again. Traffic on the Met is crazy but it stays well north the city core. Of course instead of using Highway 25, the tunnel and Highway 20, you can stay on the 40 and follow the St-Lawrence along the North Shore all the way to Trois-Riviere or Quebec City and cross over on one of their bridges. The only part of the 40 that is hairy is the Met which is the elevated part. Once you are pass the Highway 25 junction, traffic lessens and once you are off island, traffic tends to be light depending on the time of day (rush hour is the same everywhere). I prefer using Highway 30. You might get a bit of traffic between Highway 10 junction and Highway 112 because of population density, but nothing major. Definitely no worst than any of the highways in Toronto. Highway 30 reminds me of the 407 in Toronto except that t only cost $2.50

A word of warning, it is a bit cofusing when you approach Highway 30 from Highway 20 (from Ontario border on 401, you connect with Highway 20). Near Vaudreuil you come to the Highway 30 junction, keep to you right to take the 30 otherwise you will fall off the expressway and actually enter the town of Dorion, Pincourt and Ile-Pierrot with a lot of traffic lights before returning back on Highway 20 once you're on the island of Montreal at which point you will head towards downtown (the Mercier bridge is not an option either because they always have lanes closed especially on week-ends).

Take Care

Kevin

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom