Getting insurance is quite discouraging here | GTAMotorcycle.com

Getting insurance is quite discouraging here

DjEyeQ

So I'm looking to buy a first bike and the quotes are so high I'm pretty much forced to go the 250/300cc way. I'm getting quotes of 2300-3000yr for a '05 Kawi 636. Its way more than my car and nearly as much as the bike is worth.
I'm 31 in a month had auto insurance for 11years not a single ticket and had my m2 for 2 yrs now with safety cert and CMA membership. Just nuts how much it costs to own a weekend toy essentially.

I know there is a million posts like this, but it helps to vent sometimes :S

Well you could always go for a Dual Sport or Sport Touring. FZ6R or SV650 perhaps?

So I'm looking to buy a first bike and the quotes are so high I'm pretty much forced to go the 250/300cc way. I'm getting quotes of 2300-3000yr for a '05 Kawi 636. Its way more than my car and nearly as much as the bike is worth.
I'm 31 in a month had auto insurance for 11years not a single ticket and had my m2 for 2 yrs now with safety cert and CMA membership. Just nuts how much it costs to own a weekend toy essentially.

State farm

State Farm also quoted me an extra 25% for a 636 compared to any other 600 sportbike.

Talk to Terri-Lynn Thompson at James Campbell Insurance in Uxbridge, tlthompson@jamescampbellinsurance.com and let her know Scott Luscombe referred you.

Hahahaha you're funny bro. I pay 2500 for a 250 @ 24. Quit complaining..

What the **** 636 do you have that's worth 1200-1500 bucks?? Can I buy it off you and solve your problem? Or send me a link if you haven't bought it yet.

Last edited:

Im with state farm on an 05 636 and I pay about 170 a month. Or did for my first month and my 2nd was 126 :s but your first year is always the most expensive. Then should drop about 50 a month. Just get the bike you want and pay for the year. It will be better next year. From state farm anything from a 500 to 750 is about the same less the year. So ifyou go under 500 it will be less. Pm me I will give you my contact from statefarm in bolton.

Check with AllState. They are much better priced than StateFarm.

Thanks for all the contact information guys. I messaged a bunch of agents and State Farm turned out to be the cheapest 126 basic coverage and 152 for full (I just need to find out what the difference is btwn basic and full).
I guess that's the best I can get, I cant complain.
Everyone else either rejected me right away or gave me a high qoute, mostly because no prior moto insurance or just M2 or sports bike.
Allstate would maybe give me a quote if I gave them my car and home insurance. My car premium is already very good and im not a homeowner so no go.

Hahahaha you're funny bro. I pay 2500 for a 250 @ 24. Quit complaining..

What the **** 636 do you have that's worth 1200-1500 bucks?? Can I buy it off you and solve your problem? Or send me a link if you haven't bought it yet.

Thats a lot ronin. I guess im a bit older, but my car broker (Aviva insurance) quoted me 82$/mth full coverage on a 2013 Ninja 300.

that was my next choice the sv650. Like the bike, especially with full fairing :D
Did they ever come from the factory with a FULL fairing?? I saw one the other day and damn it looked that way from the factory but I'm not too up on the "SV650s" line of bikes and I have a friend looking for one.

34nl4sl.jpg

Last edited:

I believe safety certs are meaningless and make no difference when it comes to insurance. Also your choice of bike (a fine choice) is also one that has a higher chance of getting stolen. Motorcycling indeed is an expensive hobby in Ontario. I feel for you OP. You may want to ask them if having an alarm on it will get you further discount.

Just throwing this out there.... the 636 for some reason is a ***** on insurance... I started a thread a while ago about this whole situation, suffice to say there's no answer for it other than, "you gotta pay to play" is definitely the truest of all statements when it comes to a super sport. the cheapest seams to be gsxr's (**** tho they may be) then hondas then yamahas then kawis.... (Ive never looked for dukes or apprillas.... BMW is just always expensive sooo..)

Did they ever come from the factory with a FULL fairing?? I saw one the other day and damn it looked that way from the factory but I'm not too up on the "SV650s" line of bikes and I have a friend looking for one.

I dont believe they ever have but a lot of people buy then aftermarket and throw them on. Ive always like how they look with it on.

Just throwing this out there.... the 636 for some reason is a ***** on insurance... I started a thread a while ago about this whole situation, suffice to say there's no answer for it other than, "you gotta pay to play" is definitely the truest of all statements when it comes to a super sport. the cheapest seams to be gsxr's (**** tho they may be) then hondas then yamahas then kawis.... (Ive never looked for dukes or apprillas.... BMW is just always expensive sooo..)

I agree 100%. I hope to suffer for a year get my M asap and then it should go down. Fingers crossed :)

Those rates aren't bad. Maybe try not starting on a supersport? They go about 3x as fast as you'll ever need to, anyway, lol.

The SV650 comes with the kit that they install at the dealership I believe. I bought mine with full fairings.

I'm 23, clean record, just got my M had my moto license for 2 years now and am paying 2077/year or 173/month.

34nl4sl.jpg

The s model is full fairing from 08 onwards.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom