HTA 172 - Actions that can result in charge | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

HTA 172 - Actions that can result in charge

Does that not show it passed?
yes. you're right. my bad.

here's what i'm gattering from all of this:

Bill 148, Highway Traffic Amendment Act (Seat Belts), 2006
passed november 2,2006

law says anyone in a car/vehicle must use a seat with a seatbelt, and they must use that seatbelt.
couple of exceptions, kids car seat... driving in reverse... etc.

from the intent of the law, the maximum number of people that can fit into a vehicle is equal to the number of seatbelts availible.

from R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 613

if the car/vehicle was manufactured without seatbelts, and an aftermarket sealbelt was not installed...you don't have to wear a seatbelt.

from Bill 33, Jay Lawrence and Bart Mackey Memorial Act (Highway Traffic), 2001

sitting in the back of a pickup, is deemed being outside of the vehicle, hence seatbelts are not required
i think the reason this bill never passed, was because of times when work requires you to ride outside of the vehicle.
in the transcripts from the readings, they mentioned working on a farm, but also think about garbage and blue box collection

any amendment to the HTA would have an effect, on those examples as well.
technically you're outside the vehicle, when you ride a motorcycle too.

personally i think if it were to become illegal to ride in the back of a pickup, it would have been made law back in 2001

i would say it's legal to ride in the back of a pickup without a seatbelt.

As a new rider this year, something has become apparent to me: I do not know what actions are considered in violation of this law. I can't seem to find a list, and my apologies if this topic has been discussed.

<ducks for="" cover!="">

</ducks>You are overthinking... just ride with common sense. The law applies to both cars and bikes, if you drive a car already you should know very well.

You all forgot the "cop didn't like your attitude" that can also get you a 172 charge

+1 or cop is having a bad day.

also, as mentioned earlier, cop is getting kickbacks from tow truck companies… "finder's fee".

i would say it's legal to ride in the back of a pickup without a seatbelt.
Huh. I always thought it was illegal with the more recent seat belt law changes. I also found out there are kits available to add seats with belts to the back of pickup and they are perfectly legal but no one will insure your vehicle if you put one in (I tried to find a company that would cover it).

Yeeeeaaaahhhhh.... We can forget the cop hate. That's not what this thread, nor forum area, is for.

I remember reading on this forum about someone being charged with HTA 172 for too many lane changes in a certain distance, I think it was within 1 or 2 km

I remember reading on this forum about someone being charged with HTA 172 for too many lane changes in a certain distance, I think it was within 1 or 2 km

Repeated lane changes is one of the conditions set out in the definitions. It's one of the ways that you can be nailed while splitting.

repeatedly changing lanes in close proximity to other vehicles so as to advance through the ordinary flow of traffic while driving at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed.

“marked departure from the lawful rate of speed” means a rate of speed that may limit the ability of a driver of a motor vehicle to prudently adjust to changing circumstances on the highway.

So lane splitting while going slow should be exempted from HTA172

Last edited:

“marked departure from the lawful rate of speed” means a rate of speed that may limit the ability of a driver of a motor vehicle to prudently adjust to changing circumstances on the highway.

So lane splitting while going slow should be exempted from HTA172

Lolz! I'd like to see a cop falling for that and wave you good bye!

Back
Top Bottom