My (and your) life is only worth $85 + $9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

My (and your) life is only worth $85 + $9

WoBblyCaT

Site Supporter
Just got back from the trial against the woman who caused my motorcycle accident.
1. She hired a paralegal and plead down to a lesser charge called "Start from a stop not in safety." $85. Seriously???!!! To be honest, I expected this. At the bare minimum I hope she learned to be more aware on the road and to drive more safely.
2. I met the lady who called 911 and what she described was exactly the same as what I remembered.
2a. She saw the driver pull out at the last second and thought to herself, "I hope the car doesn't go." And then the driver gunned it. I was in front of the witness.
2b. She saw the collision which I have no memory of. Apparently I tried to swerve to the right to avoid (driver was going from left to right) then all she saw was glass flying and me hit the ground. Then she saw the car start moving again while I was still underneath. There were pedestrians that made her stop.
2c. She thought I was agitated and was worried that I'd punch someone (this I find pretty funny!)
3. I got paid $9 in cash for showing up as a witness.
4. I'm healthy and still riding.

For those who don't know, I was in a motorcycle accident in May 2013 where the car driver drove perpendicularly across traffic during rush hour to get into a Tim Horton's driveway. It was on Leslie St., just north of Hwy 7, across from Times Square in Richmond Hill. My bike was written off, I suffered a separated shoulder and was off the bike for 2 months.

I'm feeling pretty jaded about our "justice" system, traffic laws, and enforcement of it. They seem to be very unfavourable to motorcyclists. Apparently my life is only worth $85 + $9 on the street. This accident could've very easily caused me weeks in the hospital with permanent life-altering injuries.

I'm not looking for sympathy. Just be aware of this next time you're in a not at fault collision. The other person may very well get off with a slap on the wrist.

Edit. Added #4.

Last edited:
I'm so disgusted at the the legal outcome that I don't have words to express the anger.

I know you're not looking for sympathy, but you have mine. I'm sorry you were hurt. Stay strong and ride long.

I don't understand these laws anymore. Go 50+, or pull a wheelie and you lose your car/bike immediately and license for a week. Pay thousands in storage fees and fines as a result yet there is no victim and no one gets hurt.

Do something ridiculous and almost kill or in many cases kill someone and you walk away with something as ridiculous as a 85 dollar fine.

Was she originally charged with careless driving?

While I'm sorry to hear it because she probably didn't learn a fan thing... I'm also not shocked at all. Like Paul said, speed and you're the devil who's not getting out of it. Drive a cage and plea down and you walk. This kind of thing needs to stop. They need to make examples out of people like this not pat them on the head and send them back out on the roads.

Yikes, sorry to hear that buddy. I can't believe she can get off so lightly when she causes so much pain and suffering. Crocodile tears?

It probably wasn't her fault (in her mind). Did she try and offer some kind of defence. The victim should have to consulted before the charge is lowered.

Agreed 100%

Yikes, sorry to hear that buddy. I can't believe she can get off so lightly when she causes so much pain and suffering. Crocodile tears?

Given the demographic of that area, probably not even crocodile tears.

It probably wasn't her fault (in her mind). Did she try and offer some kind of defence. The victim should have to consulted before the charge is lowered.

Unfortunately they don't need to get the victim's ascent because it's The Crown that lays the charge, and not the victim. They generally do like to get the go ahead though and at least asked in my case, though it was clear that they didn't care enough to pursue the original charge (similar to Wobbly's situation).

Whether they intended it or not...it was reckless and endangered someone....dangerous even. They should pay the piper as it were. I firmly believe there is no justice in the system.

Whether they intended it or not...it was reckless and endangered someone....dangerous even. They should pay the piper as it were. I firmly believe there is no justice in the system.

I agree with this post 1000%. I didn't intend to do 50 over yet they'd still stick It to me. Same thing here except the mad rush for timmies could have killed someone

The did intend it. They intended to dangerously cut across traffic. An act that had risk to others health and property so that they could get a double double and a donut. And its probably still not her fault.

Was she originally charged with careless driving?

Yes she was.

The other punitive financial consequences are the cost of her paralegal ($500 for a major?) and her insurance rates. She was early twenties at most.

Also, I added #4 in the original post. I'm still healthy and still riding.

People, it's yourself vs everyone else out there on the road. Even if you are wronged, the other person may just get a proverbial slap on the wrist. I know the sentencing is not for our vindication, but I still feel wronged that the only penalty was an $85 ticket. The officer also said 2-3 points maybe, but you need 15+ demerit points for your license to be suspended, and only for 30 days. And don't get me started talking about being a victim of insurance fraud....

Yes she was.

The other punitive financial consequences are the cost of her paralegal ($500 for a major?) and her insurance rates. She was early twenties at most.

Also, I added #4 in the original post. I'm still healthy and still riding.

People, it's yourself vs everyone else out there on the road. Even if you are wronged, the other person may just get a proverbial slap on the wrist. I know the sentencing is not for our vindication, but I still feel wronged that the only penalty was an $85 ticket. The officer also said 2-3 points maybe, but you need 15+ demerit points for your license to be suspended, and only for 30 days. And don't get me started talking about being a victim of insurance fraud....

OK she got a fine of $85 plus her court costs = under $1000. Her insurance may not go up as it is only one minor conviction. As an aside, if someone is driving a company car the company gets the insurance bill, not the driver.

I asked the question on the other thread and only got one reply, one I can't wrap my head around.

In Quebec a woman stops and passively positions her vehicle on a highway to help ducklings and the result is death to people in a following vehicle. Duck lady is charged with criminal offenses and faces jail time, massive fines and legal fees.

In Ontario drivers make dopey left turns, drive through stop signs, all moving violations, killing and maiming people and they get a slap on the wrist.

Explanation???

Wobbly, glad you're OK and still doing what you love.

Having said that, if this person continues the way she is, she'll eventually hit something bigger and angrier that'll "settle the score" if you will.

It's absolute BS that something like this is less than 2 cases of beer in fines.

Just playing devil's advocate here, so keep the flame throwers holstered....is it not the single most common suggestion on this forum to plead and/or defeat any HTA charges at all cost? Every angle, method, **** luck, lawyer, paralegal, anything suggested so that a rider can plead down? Especially for the major offence of speeding or being a retard at 50 over, I guess one should assume that all posters here would pony up and just plead guilty if they are ever charged, right? :lmao:

Most importantly, I'm glad the OP is riding and well again. For what I took from this post, is that as a rider, don't count on legal deterrents to save your *** from poor drivers. Stay safe!!

Just playing devil's advocate here, so keep the flame throwers holstered....is it not the single most common suggestion on this forum to plead and/or defeat any HTA charges at all cost? Every angle, method, **** luck, lawyer, paralegal, anything suggested so that a rider can plead down? Especially for the major offence of speeding or being a retard at 50 over, I guess one should assume that all posters here would pony up and just plead guilty if they are ever charged, right? :lmao:

Most importantly, I'm glad the OP is riding and well again. For what I took from this post, is that as a rider, don't count on legal deterrents to save your *** from poor drivers. Stay safe!!

This forum exists to help fellow riders navigate the legal system, and to occasionally discuss legal issues that have an effect on us all. This shows it from the other side, which gives some valuable insight.

This forum exists to help fellow riders navigate the legal system, and to occasionally discuss legal issues that have an effect on us all. This shows it from the other side, which gives some valuable insight.

Oh, I get it, I'm just having a chuckle at some of the replies. The seriousness of the accident is not lost on me; I just find it an interesting component of the human condition that a "mistake" (albeit stupid and selfish) is not beyond what anyone here could make any given day themselves (think SMIDSY). Yet, they are calling for blood and jail time, something they do not call for when ****** moves end up with a group ride ending with a fatality, people doing mach 20 down the 401, etc.
In the interest of fairness, I wonder about the strength of conviction amongst posters here if that mentality was equally applied. Keep in mind, spend a day in traffic court and watch the reduced charges by the hundreds. Nothing new here folks.

But, like I said, good on the OP for coming out alive, and remember to ride defensively! No more stats required please.

Back
Top Bottom