motorcycle EV? small cc on road plates? off road lic, ins, etc? 3 wheel drivers lic? | GTAMotorcycle.com

motorcycle EV? small cc on road plates? off road lic, ins, etc? 3 wheel drivers lic?

meester_jamie

Site Supporter
I have a few questions, I couldn't find on the MTO web site... or search on GTAM,,

motorcycle conversion to EV .. safety regs .. motor and controls info..
If I use a 750cc-1800cc motorcycle ,, and remove the gas engine, and install batteries, and an electric motor.. would I follow the EV licensing regs on the MTO it only calls it "vehicle" conversions...
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/emerging/conversions-faq.shtml

the safety inspection ? ?? mostly same as gas engine regs,, ??
is there some EV motorcycles on the road yet?

On road Plates for smaller motorcycles... Z50 ? CT90 ? Yamaha YSR
can I put a license plate and ride one of the above on the road.. ?
I have a Z50 that was plated years ago.. I have to look into getting a replacement ownership..

off road motorcycle license , insurance, plate regs
If I have a Yamaha XT 125 and ride it on a friends rural property, and beside the road, to other friends property,, do I need lic, ins, and plate?

bombardier , can am drivers license,,, class ,, I heard there is different class lic for a bombardier 3wheeler, and canam. ?

You are asking questions on different topics. About electric conversions - you do not need to remove the gas engine necessarily, but the vehicle has to be "powered exclusively by an electric battery". Obviously, in the case of a motorcycle, you have to remove the gas engine because there is no space to fit anything else...

All I am going to say is that vehicle conversion from gas to electric is a gray area right now, and I doubt that anyone has done it yet in Ontario.

You are asking questions on different topics. About electric conversions - you do not need to remove the gas engine necessarily, but the vehicle has to be "powered exclusively by an electric battery". Obviously, in the case of a motorcycle, you have to remove the gas engine because there is no space to fit anything else...

All I am going to say is that vehicle conversion from gas to electric is a gray area right now, and I doubt that anyone has done it yet in Ontario.

Rules would be the same as cars, no? There are several companies that do it for cars at all Auto Show every year.

The regulations with respect to electric vehicle conversions haven't apparently been finalized. I read the submission form and it's clear, from things like the placement of the stickers that are required, that the intent is for vehicles that possess a cabin (cars, trucks, etc.). This question would best be directed to the MTO head offices, as no one here can advise of regs that do not exist.

If said smaller vehicle was plated in your name at some point then I doubt you'll have a problem plating it again. If you don't have a current ownership and it wasn't plated in your name, then look forward to some issues. If the vehicle was designed and imported for on-road use it's not likely a problem.

Get the off road vehicle plated and insured. It needs to be, for the use that you reference.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/emerging/motortricycles_faq.shtml#a18

As for 3-wheel license, if you take your M test with a 3 wheeled vehicle, your M license cannot be used on 2 wheeled vehicles. If you take your M license on a 2 wheeled limited speed vehicle, you can only used limited speed vehicles. Same rules apply for sidecar. If you take your M test on a normal motorcycle, you can use limited speed or 3 wheel or sidecar.

EDIT:
I suspect insurance will be a much bigger problem than the MTO for an electric conversion. I know homebuilt conventional vehicles are almost impossible to insure, I doubt you could find someone to write a homebuilt bike policy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom