My bike blew up... so I got a new one! | GTAMotorcycle.com

My bike blew up... so I got a new one!

rye

Site Supporter
Well, the engine in my 86 FZ600 blew a 4 inch hole in it... Looks like something seized up on the almost 30 year old motor and BAM, blew while I was riding, luckily I was going slow enough that I safely pulled into a parking lot, with a lot of smoke and oil everywhere.... I just about cried. I put a lot of time and effort into rebuild this bike only to have it sitting in a puddle of oil and a cloud of smoke. While I sat there sulking and calling my wife to bring the pickup truck to come and get me I was already thinking of a plan....

Untitled by feliks.ca, on Flickr

Long story short, 2 days later, I ended up with this ****ing beautiful R6. OMG. I am one happy son of a *****... all the sadness of my previous bike blowing a hole in it was gone instantly on my first ride. It's an entirely different beast. I plan on rebuilding the old FZ once more, I should have enough extra parts to get it running and road worthy again. :D

Anyway, thought I would share my excitement on here and show off some pictures of my new awesome ride, and the story of the mishap which brought it to me! :D

1999 Yamaha R6 by feliks.ca, on Flickr

Nice bike, hopefully the transmission on it holds up ;)

That sucks Ryan - I know you put a lot of effort into that FZ. Enjoy the R6.

Nice bike, hopefully the transmission on it holds up ;)

Thanks Paul! It only has 29k on it.. well 30k now... :D I don't plan on beating this bike up at all, hopefully she treats me well.

That sucks Ryan - I know you put a lot of effort into that FZ. Enjoy the R6.

That I did, and that I will!! :D

Damn that's a shame but you know, once you get to the redzone, you should shift up a gear, not down. :p
That R6 looks good, 5EB R6 in blue is arguably the best looking bike in my opinion, maybe trumped by the R1.

Glad to hear your OK, bikes can be fixed......nice score on the new bike.....at least your not going to lose a season of riding.....

Cheers

Thanks man, was glad I wasn't on the highway or something when it happened. Engine started making a crazy sound just before it blew so it was kind of a warning, probably should have pulled over but even still I think it was inevitable with how hard I rode that beotch. :D

Damn that's a shame but you know, once you get to the redzone, you should shift up a gear, not down. :p
That R6 looks good, 5EB R6 in blue is arguably the best looking bike in my opinion, maybe trumped by the R1.

Haha well the thing with the old FZ is it had NO rev-limiter, so if you hit a false neutral while upshifting you're going past redline....and past the readable tach... lol I'm sure that didn't help, along with wheelies starving the top front end of oil haha.

and thanks I frickin love how she looks too, the fairings do have some cosmetic damage but nothing that can't be fixed up. Mechanically the bike is fantastic.

Wonder what caused the hole in the case, jeez. Where in the engine is it? Looks like maybe the lower end?

Glad your ok though, bet the rear tire got soaked in oil

Wonder what caused the hole in the case, jeez. Where in the engine is it? Looks like maybe the lower end?

Glad your ok though, bet the rear tire got soaked in oil

Hole is in the bottom end - front of the engine - I do have enough parts to build another motor so I will probably end up doing that over winter this year. Thanks for that, I'm glad I was OK too! Tire was nice and soaked but I'm just happy I wasn't going very fast when it happened! And even happier with the outcome... (new bike! :D)

Congrats on the r6!

lol.... your opinion on the 5eb r6 being the best looking bike is indeed arguable :).... and it is without a doubt trumped by an r1. Just saying!

Looks like the engine casing was made of biscuit

Sent from my tablet using my paws

I see a connecting rod with no end cap, the connecting rod bolts likely snapped and blew the end cap out the engine. Happens when people don't use the correct con rod bolts or torque properly.

I didn't touch the bottom end but who knows if anyone else did before me... glad it happened at a relatively safe speed anyway! :D

now you qualify for the "Experienced" rides

hahah, woo! Me and my 9 months of riding experience? :D

Congrats on the r6!

lol.... your opinion on the 5eb r6 being the best looking bike is indeed arguable :).... and it is without a doubt trumped by an r1. Just saying!

Thanks man! I'm enjoying the **** out of it.

Looks like the engine casing was made of biscuit

Sent from my tablet using my paws

lol, complete with oil gravy

Well I hope you fix it. That is a nice bike. That said I really dig your new ride too. Looks clean as hell

Holllllla :D

Well I hope you fix it. That is a nice bike. That said I really dig your new ride too. Looks clean as hell

yeah i should add as well..... bike does look clean. i love older bikes that still look new.

I have enough parts to put an engine back together, now I just need to find the time... I have a whole spare bottom end, and a bunch of other parts that I gave to my brother in law before it blew up that I may need to get back now... lol But she'll be road worthy again one day. Maybe next season, then I'll have something bike related to do during winter! :D Thanks for the compliment too!

yeah i should add as well..... bike does look clean. i love older bikes that still look new.

They both have their flaws...or battles scars as I like to call them. :D

They both have their flaws...or battles scars as I like to call them. :D

true ;)... mine does too. but not noticeable from a first impression

Well, the engine in my 86 FZ600 blew a 4 inch hole in it... Looks like something seized up on the almost 30 year old motor and BAM, blew while I was riding, luckily I was going slow enough that I safely pulled into a parking lot, with a lot of smoke and oil everywhere.... I just about cried. I put a lot of time and effort into rebuild this bike only to have it sitting in a puddle of oil and a cloud of smoke. While I sat there sulking and calling my wife to bring the pickup truck to come and get me I was already thinking of a plan....

Good candidate for an electric conversion?

Back
Top Bottom