South Eastern Ohio | GTAMotorcycle.com

South Eastern Ohio

NightShadow

Spent 4 days in the area with my buddy. It is half the distance to the dragon. Make a base camp in Marietta. You can ride for 6 hrs to Wheeling & spend the next 4 hrs or longer in the twistys. The roads are unbelievable. Just as good as the dragon area. Is tons of twistys and hills. You have to watch when you come over the crest of some hills as you only have a split second to decide which direction you are going as the road can fool you. Some of the roads are cantered in the turns and on the hills which make this fun. If you want a cheap ride for a few days then this is it. I think it was about 325 or so for the 3 days. Everything included. We lucked out and found a restaurant right beside our hotel that had a buffet. It was 9 bucks. (were can u eat for that price) Our routes were around 400 to 425km in length and would leave around 9 am & be back around 4 or 5pm. Just to much fun for 1 day. Oh and you will be worn out when you are done at the end of the day. (we found a Tim's just down the street if u want coffee) I do this ride at least 1 or twice a year. If you haven't been to the area - you need to go and check it out. You won't be disappointed. BTW - If you cross the river you are in WV and is tons of roads to ride as well. You can spend a week in this area and not ride the same roads twice.
Go check out and let peeps know how much fun you had.
( I didn't take my camera as I have tons of pics of the roads and area)

What are some of the roads that you enjoyed the most in the area?

I saw google plots it as about 8 hrs via super slab, have you any recommendations for roads on the way there or back?

Take Hwy to Wheeling is 6 hours - then hit twistys - to many roads to say which is the best.
Almost all roads are good. Even some nice gravel twisty roads to. Sent a pm RR

Sounds good. There is a nother Burgman rider in Ohio I might hook up with for local knowledge.
6 hours....hmmm leave at 5 am and there by noon??
Sounds good for a 3 1/2 day....bit long for a weekend.

Mac
I did a 3 day and also a 5 day. A 3 day gives u twistys on the way down for about 3 to 4 hours to end the day. A complete day for ride - minimum 400km for the day. Then on day 3 you do twistys for a few hours on the way to wheeling then Hwy home.
I prefer more of 4 days to 6 days to really enjoy the area. Just look at a google map and it will show the roads without any trouble.
I may be heading that way in late Sept or early Oct again. (just have to see how my big trip plays out for end of August)

Sounds good. There is a nother Burgman rider in Ohio I might hook up with for local knowledge.
6 hours....hmmm leave at 5 am and there by noon??
Sounds good for a 3 1/2 day....bit long for a weekend.

I stay at the Best Western in Uhrichsville. Park in front motel, breakfast included and cheap. Coshocton / Roscoe Village is a nice break from the riding. All good stuff. Lots of Amish so watch for horse dung in the corners. :)

About 6 hours via interstate and extra hour or so if you go off I-90. (Plus the border BS) :(

Last edited:
It looks like this particular area would be good -- do a figure eight loop. Maybe I'll do this later this year.

http://goo.gl/maps/bBXxu

Diesel

That loop is great - just take off the bottom of the 821 and Add in the 530 - It is part of your route - You will thank me.

STARSHIP
- The 555 is OK - The best part of that road is the bottom part of that road - Where the 550 meets the 555 - go south from that point to the bottom at the 32

Its on my list for this summer too - just have to figure out which weekend to extend :)

BeastieGirl - Try to make it 4 days - Just to many roads and routes to do in 3 days - You won't be able to do much.
- I will give you what you need.
BTW - The good folks here on site are still waiting for your report on your last ride and those nice pics you took.

nobbie48 - I don't remember any tar / chip repaving on the 555 - on one of my loops I come on and off the 555 in
different area's at least 5 to 6 times

I did this trip a while back. Freeway run to Zanesville, then took 555 (triple Nickle) southbound till it ended.

Stayed the night in Marietta. Then road 26 into that National Park there. Road around there for a few hours and then back home.

555 was ok. The road surface wasn't great. Almost dumped the bike on loose/crappy surfaces.

26 was great! There are a couple covered bridges. Don't forget to stop for a photo shoot.

536 is very very twisty but the road surface was resurfaced with a material that seemed to crumble as vehicles went over it. Not very good.

....also alot of the signs are misleading. They'll tell you there's a turn coming up but what kind of bend isn't always obvious. I also had a moment where the sign showed a Right turn coming up but it was a left. I have it on video from my GoPro and it's real odd.

Lots of deer too. Becareful!

Last edited:
slowbird

- That is interesting - sign left and road goes right - Haven't seen that one yet. As for road conditions - Compare them to here - They are way better then here - Not all roads are perfect but in good condition. (will take that any day)
- As for when you were there - my first trip was the end of Sept or first week in Oct and had no problems with roads. This last trip a couple
weeks ago there was a few corners that had some dirt or stone in the roadway but was only a foot or 2 out in the roadway. I know that summer
is usually busy down there with all the farmers and moving their equipment around. You just need to pick the right time. (I talk to my friend that lives in the area and that is what he has advised me on. Basically stay away for the summer.

Back
Top Bottom