Racing a Ducati 749 in SOAR | GTAMotorcycle.com

Racing a Ducati 749 in SOAR

b.burton

I am planning to start racing and am considering buying a Ducati 749s to race in SOAR as it seems that the 749 is eligible for just about every racing class (Superbike, 600, BOTT, Lost era).

I am not expecting to be the fastest guy out there in every race/class and I realize that a fast racer on a slower bike will be faster than a slow guy on a rocketship, however my question to those of you that race is:

Have / do you race a 749 and how does it hold up to the other machines that you race against?

I don't ride one, but my perspective is that that bike should do about optimum in BOTT LW. It isn't eligible for lost era until at least next year (since they started building them in 2003) - maybe later depending on its year and what changes they made. But when it qualifies it would be in the lost era LW class and should be competitive there.

No reason a 749 couldn't do well in the 600 Rookie class (if you have never raced before) since rider skill tends to be more important than machinery in that class (within reason) but once you step up to novice 600 extreme I expect that you would be at a significant disadvantage against the most up to date 600s. Not a night and day kind of thing, but a disadvantage nonetheless. Forget Superbike - you will have your *** handed to you for sure - people passing you on the straight with a stupid speed differential. Very depressing.

One thing to keep in mind is that SOAR rounds are all currently at GB (save one at Shannonville) and several of the GB layouts are pretty friendly to twins. The two layouts that use the whole back straight (Technical and Modified) are not going to be you best, but the others should be okay.

Personally I hope you do it because it is a gorgeous bike. You can help me in the quest to bring V-twin thumpy goodness sounds to the monotony of the screaming inline fours. But damn...be prepared for *big* money to keep that thing running. You race a Ducati for love - it can not be rationalized so don't try.

tumblr_m7zwncbyn41qalk92.gif

749 will be out performed by just about anything in the classes its eligible for outside of BOTT.

Unless you have the R model they are heavy and slow compared to a comparable era 600 and the more modern 600's will stomp all over them.

The bikes are interesting but having raced a 749R, 999R, and a few 1098's you're much better off buying a modern 600 if you are just starting out.

I started to do something similar a few years ago, building 1098's for endurance racing.

The bikes are also more fragile in crash situations, cost more to fix and replacement parts are more difficult to source.

@ Yellow Duck:
That’s more or less what I had assumed. Good for Rookie 600, MAYBE 600 novice (if I can muster my inner Marquez) BOTT LW and Lost era but unfortunately be a very expensive PYLON in superbike.
I am working overseas for the next 12-24 months so by the time I get back home the 749 will be firmly in lost era territory. When I return home I will most certainly be buying a 749, 848 or 1199 or maybe one of each if my wife isn’t giving me the stink eye. I really want the 1199 but realize it’s about 70+hp of overkill for my first season(s) of racing.
I got my motorcycle license the day I turned 16 which is right around the same that the 916 was on the cover of every bike magazine and I have been having Ducati daydreams ever since. A Duc is going to be my first purchase when I get home and it will be a track only bike, so yes we can make v-twin thumpy goodness together.

@ Reciprocity:
I would jump at the chance to buy a 749R if one came up for sale when it’s time for me to purchase. I have been waiting for nearly 20 years to buy a Ducati so if I buy the same R6 or ZX6 that I have already owned I will hate myself forever, even though I realize it will be more expensive, less reliable and probably slower than most bikes I just have to get myself a Duc.

Thanks for the advice gentlemen

Last edited:
You'll regret it.

Buy a duc for a streetbike and rattle around,, let the GSXR kids think your bike is broken then buy a cheap 600 to go racing

You'll be able to do both above for less than it will cost you to race a 749.

^ I agree.

Another thing to remember is that most people crash a few times, especially when they start out. (I sure did.) Better off starting out with something that is reasonably crash-resistant, and failing that, something that lots of people in the paddock will have parts for, and hopefully something that doesn't have outrageous parts prices.

Get a cheap/old Japanese 600, or a SV650 if you want to run in the twins classes. There's something to be said for staying OUT of the 600-class mayhem. Then get a pretty bike of your fancy for posing at timmies. A vintage bike is another choice. My FZR400 qualifies. VRRA period 4 (up to 1989) grids are huge.

There are a small number of Ducati race bikes at SOAR.

Back
Top Bottom