Toronto East Court feedback | GTAMotorcycle.com

Toronto East Court feedback

micelli.i

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this site. Got ticketed last month for allegedly disobeying stop sign. Requested early resolution which I received a reply to surprisingly fast telling me it will be in July. I will have to attend Toronto East Court.

For those of you that have experience with the Toronto East Court, I would appreciate it if you could tell me:

(1) how helpful are these early resolutions with the prosecutors?
(2) how long does it take to get disclosure?
(3) how long to get to trial (in 1 month? 2? 6?)?

Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks.

Last edited:
Early resolution will be $80 with 2 points .. Got one myself one last year .. If you choose to go with trial then hope that the cop doesnt show up or hope they "lost" the evidence.

You can go early and ask for the disclosure, its available that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe I'm just un/lucky, but about 6-7 years ago I got 3 tickets in that area because Milner/Markham road area is awful for speed traps. Took all of them to court and got no-shows each time from the officer. Ended up with no tickets which is awesome.

It's a very busy area (if we're talking about the same place). Glad you're fighting it, I'd almost expect no-shows. Good luck!

No shows are the history, nowadays they get paid to attend court, and need an excuse if they miss any.

The early resolution is pretty useless, they will offer you a reduced fine but still charge you for the offense. Unless you want to plea guilty and just want to get a cheaper fine, this is helpful because it speeds up the process, so you don't have to wait for trial to get a reduced fine.

Take it to court, it will take at least 6 months for the trial. Play tactically if you have any previous tickets, so to minimize effect on insurance.

Otherwise, when you go to trial, they will offer you the same deal or better deal (you can negotiate with the Judge). It's better to take to court, as you have chances of officer not showing up, then your ticket will get dismissed.

Disclosure takes up to 8 weeks.

Thanks for your input guys. I'll see if they produce disclosure in a timely manner, or if the cop will show up in Court. Justin, how reliable is your source that Toronto cops now get paid/required to show up? And 6 months before it gets to trial? Jeez...

Thanks for your input guys. I'll see if they produce disclosure in a timely manner, or if the cop will show up in Court. Justin, how reliable is your source that Toronto cops now get paid/required to show up? And 6 months before it gets to trial? Jeez...

It's pretty standard to wait at least 6 months for trial, for non-traffic offense, like civil or criminal, it may take up to 2-3 years. Officers get paid for time in court, it is considered as their duties. My dad is an inspector.

Thanks again.

At my resolution meeting, they only provided partial disclosure, telling me that I have to request a "special disclosure" for the remaining materials. I was offered something similar to Abid's comment above. Found it strange, so I'm going to trial...

What is really weird, is that I checked the prosecutor on the law society's website and she appeared as a paralegal who has surrendered her license. I think this means she cannot practice anymore, but was clearly engaging on behalf of the prosecutor's office. WTF?

In preparing for my court date a few years back recall stumbling across info that prosecutors (at least traffic court ones) do not need to be lawyers.
Basically they are just civil servants who took a few week long ministry course (backgrounds may or may not be law related) who enjoy power tripping and strong arming an unknowing public weaving their way through the legal system.
They know how to operate within the legal system for the same pile of traffic cases that come their way day in and day out to make their conviction stats look good (that's a key factor in how they are assessed on performance). My admittedly limited experience has taught me that many of these folks are not great legal minds and appearing calm, prepared, thoughtful, confident, knowledgeable and willing to go to trial will make most of them back off and not want to take a case to trial. ( also helps if they are having a high conviction day.....they will be ok in withdrawing a charge if it's minor in nature)

Thanks for your input, Red; you are partially correct. Provincial prosecutors do not have to be lawyers (you are right) but they have to be at least paralegals. I know some paralegals who work for the City of Brampton as prosecutors and all of them have been licensed by the Law Society. My point was that these Toronto prosecutors are paralegals who have been suspended from being paralegals, but are still providing legal services. Not too sure what the Law Society would have to say about that.

I know I am going to lose if I take this to trial. However, the charge I am facing is very small ($110) and I am not too worried about the demerit points. So, I'm going to trial, knowing I'll lose... :(

What really drives me bonkers is when you go to these early resolution meetings without being provided proper disclosure and asked to take a deal. I was promised the full disclosure in a month, or maybe two, so hopefully that will be the end of that and I can have my trial. At least I can "grill" the cop on the stand and try to act like someone who knows their stuff! :)

Sometimes the process just seems like an institutionalized factory process I guess......good luck at the trial and you never know what will happen (officer not showing etc.) and at the end of the day THEY may not want to proceed if they see you are prepared and well spoken and not intimidated.....my officer showed up, tried to get me to take the deal in the hallway, then spoke to the prosecutor at the break and left. My charge was withdrawn shortly after.

Back
Top Bottom