Pacific coast highway | GTAMotorcycle.com

Pacific coast highway

palmpalm

Site Supporter
Better to ride from Oregon south or from Los Angeles north? My plan has been to ride from Toronto to LA and then up the coast but someone told me that it's more beautiful to ride down the coast because then you have the ocean right by your side.

Those of you in the know: thoughts?

I've only ever done it in a cage but all three times it was from the north to the south. I'd ride along the northern states then down as canadas praries are boring as f***

And is the ocean right at your side? Is it that much better than if you were going north?

HAve done it both ways but only on a cage. Some areas you hug the ocean but you are high above it.

This is typical - last November.

hd%2520montery%2520bay.jpg

Screen%2520Shot%25202014-04-09%2520at%2520Apr%252C%25209%2520%2520%2520%25202014%2520%2520%2520%252012.25.44%2520PM.jpg

make sure you cut off the PCH when you see a sign for Pelican Brewery
Excellent food in a lovely setting on the beach with surfers - pretty dramatic spot

Screen%2520Shot%25202013-12-13%2520at%2520Dec%252C%252013%2520%2520%2520%25202013%2520%2520%2520%25208.07.07%2520AM.jpg

three are some great bridges too.

Screen%2520Shot%25202013-12-12%2520at%2520Dec%252C%252012%2520%2520%2520%25202013%2520%2520%2520%25206.33.54%2520AM.jpg

just be careful of gawking drivers. A bicyclist got hit and killed just as we drove through - went through the windshield and we alsmost got into a headon coming onto the bridge above. I had to come to a full stop .....total idjit passing where he did.

I'd say the best parts are far from San Luis Obispo north throught Big Sur and Monterey.

North of San Fran it can get iffy with fog tho Muir Woods is spectacular.

You might want to swing over to catch Mount St. Helens.

We got fogged out in Novemember until we got further south.
On that first shot you can see the fog bank lurking off shore.

One of the best drives in the world tho so take your time and enjoy.
On a bike I'd likely want to go south bound.

I have only done the PCH from San Diego to San Francisco but I agree about that stretch from San Luis Obispo to Big Sur being the best. Be careful as there always seems to be a stiff wind blowing off the Pacific. As well this stretch of road is much more technical than I imagined. It has elevation changes, sweepers, and switch backs that require your full attention. Forget about admiring the scenery. Pull over to be a tourist.

I highly recommend you take a break and enjoy a beach day at some of Southern California's great spots. Santa Monica, Venice Beach, Huntington Beach and Laguna Beach. I gave my self 2 beach days when I was there. In hind site I wish I would have chilled longer. Standing on the Pier watching California Surfers in action in mesmerizing. The female eye candy isn't bad either.

Last edited:
Apparently the prevailing wind comes from the northwest, so heading south is easier, considering the wind direction. That said, I'll be heading north.

I've done the stretch between SF and LA on two occasions now. First time I drove from San Fran to LA and back, absolutely loved it, it was unbelievable. I stopped at almost every corner to take in the view. This past February, drove from San Diego to Santa Cruz and wasn't nearly as impressed. I don't know if the road changed or I changed in the nine years between trips but didn't like it anywhere near as much. Seemed like much more of a highway than a scenic ocean side road.

Last edited:
Did the PCH on my bicycle in 1983 riding into the prevailing wind when we rode from San Diego to Seattle. Then later did it in a car so my next visit will have to be on a motorcycle.

Jealous. I used to race and always wanted to ride that highway.

Don't be jealous. I'm planning a trip from Vancouver to San Francisco this August. Join in.

I have done coastal road a few years back from San Diego to the northern point of California (Hwys 101/99). Fog in parts and with riding next to the ocean it can get very cold and damp. At points I was glad I went north as the hairpins and the drop-offs make for very interesting riding. Make sure you take a break from riding the coast and go inland it is very beautiful.
Enjoy your trip!

Don't be jealous. I'm planning a trip from Vancouver to San Francisco this August. Join in.

I'm also going to Vancouver for 10days or so at the end of August. The plan is either to go North from Vancouver, or go South to SF.

I haven't decided yet if I should ride there, or fly and grab a rental....

I'm also going to Vancouver for 10days or so at the end of August. The plan is either to go North from Vancouver, or go South to SF.

I haven't decided yet if I should ride there, or fly and grab a rental....

we were going to drive to Banff and then north to Alaska - associate said why not a train.
We hadn't consider cuz normally it's $$$
Lucked into a deal 60% off....Toronto to Edmonton .....all meals, sleeper car, wireless, vista cars etc.

[video=youtube;XhcUu84kVNg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhcUu84kVNg[/video]

$550.

Figure food fuel and a couple nights at least of motels....what a deal.

Like Moggs said. You can get fog and cold. We were in San Fran and rode to coast and was foggy and damp. Either way you ride will be nice.
There are many nice roads to hit just off the PC Hwy so take the time to look at the area's.

Yeah - one of nicest roads was escaping the fog on the PCH so we cut inland and it ran along a river inland....minute we left the coast the fog cleared and it was glorious N California blue sky - lovely even in mid-November.

There are not a lot of roads tho so if it's foggy - plan your turn.

Whatever direction you ride try to go during the weekday. Weekends it can get packed.
Also watch out for inattentive tourists. They can be prone to do a last sec. left turn into a view point to take pictures and ofcourse claim they didn't see you.

Yeah - one of nicest roads was escaping the fog on the PCH so we cut inland and it ran along a river inland....minute we left the coast the fog cleared and it was glorious N California blue sky - lovely even in mid-November.

There are not a lot of roads tho so if it's foggy - plan your turn.

It's sooo good.

Back
Top Bottom