Motorcycle painting auto body | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle painting auto body

I complained about the orange peel on my new Toyota and the sales manager was absolutely bewildered as to what I was talking about.

I am extremely picky and I see all mistakes.

Many brand new vehicles have runs in the paint but no one knows because it's very hard to see unless you catch the light at the right angle.

I can live with that but if I pay some shop $1700 to paint a few fairing it better be damn perfect or else I will ask that it be fixed.

For what I paid to have my bike painted I feel that I received an excellent value and will not pick on the minor defects only I can see.

the minor run is where the arrow is and any painter knows that's a tough piece to paint.

I seem to have made a mistake in recommending this shop with the negative posts that I'm getting.

f01dRIP.jpg

Firstly, Nice bike.

Second, can you take some detail pictures, including those of the imperfections? Cantseeshit.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I am such a perfectionist it is not funny, and I am being very serious.

It was foolish of me to share my personal thoughts because I know that what I consider good most consider perfect.

It is impossible for me with my camera to take a picture of what I am calling a run.

It s a mere bending of light were there should be no bending of light.

There is nothing that one can point to other than a trained painter would know that there is a little too much paint in that area.

Just forget that I said that.

By the way I was pointing to the wrong area in the previous photo.

w4BcVcg.jpg

Just forget about the whole thing and go where you want to go.

I was trying to help people save some cash and it turned into me defending a shop that needs no defense.

Judging purely as a self-employed businessperson, a factor of 10 between two quoted prices for the same job either means:

A. One or the other did not judge the scope of the job correctly (either gross underestimate, or gross overestimate) for whatever reason;
B. The high-quoter did not want the job for whatever reason (too busy, can't be bothered with small job, attitude failure by someone involved);
C. The low-quoter desperately wanted your business for whatever reason (no work in the shop, self-promotion, hope of future work, etc).

Been on the other side of all three of these positions - they all happen all the time ... it's normal ...

For 100 bucks this is pretty damn good. Hell, I'd expect someone to spray some spray paint on it and hand it back to me for that much.

Do you have any before pictures? Was the parts primed? Painted over? Needed bondo work?

Details please... inquiring minds want to know! (Vested interest)

I am such a perfectionist it is not funny, and I am being very serious.

It was foolish of me to share my personal thoughts because I know that what I consider good most consider perfect.

It is impossible for me with my camera to take a picture of what I am calling a run.

It s a mere bending of light were there should be no bending of light.

There is nothing that one can point to other than a trained painter would know that there is a little too much paint in that area.

Just forget that I said that.

By the way I was pointing to the wrong area in the previous photo.

w4BcVcg.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

With all due respect - this is where your review gets a bit unbelievable. Painting is not an easy process.. especially with all the prep work that needs to go into it. I sincerely doubt a place that can do work for 10% of the cost, is going to do it at the same quality as the other.

I want to believe, I really do... but having been doing research and getting quotes from a few places on paint for my bike, I find this to be less believable than Half Life 3 being confirmed.

I_want_to_believe5.jpg

You live under a rock or something? It's been out for awhile now.

images

Just as devils advocate here (yes I do some painting and no I am not looking for work here). I cant buy the materials (sandpaper, primer, base, clear) for $100 especially RED which is more dough. Let alone time, hydro (to run lights, booth, compressor) and clean up materials. $1000 sounds excessive but $100 sounds unrealistic as well. If you received a job that your happy with for $100 you should thank your lucky stars I wouldnt do it for that.

No kidding; I suspect the only way that price might be feasible is if they had another (bigger) job going through that was the same colour and this got piggybacked on top of it. $100 isn't going to pay for the materials if you have to make even the smallest possible batch dedicated to this job, and it won't pay for much in the way of labour to prepare and do this job on its own.

I should have taken a before picture. There were a few scuffs through the paint but no bondo was required. Just a sand and paint. I am having two fairings clear coated today to protect some decals that I just bought. I will take some pics when I get them back.

I might be doing this guy a disservice by telling everyone what I paid. Anyone who is really that curious is welcome to see my bike and the job he did.
I have nothing to gain by lying. He had to send one of my fairings to PPG for a paint match and I believe I still have the sample that he gave me. I douby he had any other jobs that were the same color.

Wow, $100 ? seriously ? I couldn't even buy the materials for that ......... may as well close up my shop today ! Nice bike though ! Cheers ! Les

IMG_0054.jpgIMG_0053.jpg

Based on the recommendations in this thread, I went to see Joe at Tip Top Autobody. He painted my bike's factory color of matt primer gray to glossy white. I dropped off the bike parts on Monday and picked them up yesterday! Wow! Awesome job and super fast. I didn't need them that fast. For the record, he painted a large 23 liter metal tank, 2 plastic side panels and the front fender for a very reasonable $300. Highly recommended and thanks a lot for the tip! And as a bonus, they are 5 minutes from my house.

Last edited:
Wow. Good guy to know.
Did the Ducati in the first photos get just the beak painted, or the whole bike was painted?

Back
Top Bottom