Ballistic Batteries | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ballistic Batteries

AC

Site Supporter
Junk.

Had to buy one at a trackday. It worked for the first day without a problem. After that it went down hill. I take my batteries out of my bike in the winter and move the charger around to keep them topped up. It wouldn't hold a charge, even when out of the bike.

This time around it would show it was fully charged but as soon as you put a load on it to start the bike it would drop.

1 year replacement warranty
1-2 years 50% off a replacement
2-3 years 25% off a replacement

WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO BUY ANOTHER ONE IF IT DIDN'T LAST MORE THAN A YEAR??

I know I should have called them when I first started having problems with it, but whatever. I'm at 20 months now.

Don't waste your money on a Ballistic Battery.

Too bad you went with ballistic, I just bought 2 ion batteries a 4cell for my track bike and a 8cell for my stunt bike. The store I went to sells ballistic also and they said they suck and have had to replace almost every one they sold. My brand seems to be holding the 13.3v it had when I bought them

I was at bogie when I HAD to buy this one, it was that or not ride after driving all that way there. So I disconnect the battery after every trackday now. This one drained itself while sitting and is garbage now.

I was at bogie when I HAD to buy this one, it was that or not ride after driving all that way there. So I disconnect the battery after every trackday now. This one drained itself while sitting and is garbage now.

That sucks I never pull any of my genuine YUASA YTX9BS's out of my bikes, I leave them in all year round and never trickle them and I get at least 2-3 years out of them without any maintenance

The anti gravity seem to be good so far, I just checked the 4 cell on my track bike, Mina bought it for me at least 2 months ago, I put it in the bike and it has only been started once or twice and let run for a minute or 2 for testing purposes. Since then its been sitting, and it still reads 12.7V

I think the Shorai batteries are the only ones that were specifically designed for this type of application.

None of the LiFePo batteries will work if your charging system is not up to the task. If you are not getting 14.4 volts charging voltage, it will not fully charge a LiFePo battery.

Just purchased one for my race bike. They have many positive reviews and plenty of great customer service stories.

Don't meant to sound rude but why did you wait nearly two years when the battery was apparently faulty when it was almost new?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't meant to sound rude but why did you wait nearly two years when the battery was apparently faulty when it was almost new?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After the first day I used it, I did another day at mosport that year and it worked fine. Took it out in the fall, it was low. charged it and then check it with my other batteries over the winter. Didn't put it back in the bike until I did another day at mosport mid summer when I found it was down to about 7V. It charged and worked for the 2 days I was there. Then I took it out after that and didn't use it until this year.

I had a Son, didn't ride. Maybe I should have checked it more, but why did it drop in voltage on its own? I've let YUASA batteries sit for a lot longer with no real drop.

On Monday I had to have my CTEK charger plugged into it as I was starting the bike to give it that tiny bit more.. Right now it reads 10.10V

I've got a Ballistic in my V-Strom, went up one size from the "stock" size I'd need for my bike as per many people's recommendations. Perhaps that is key, though it's mostly suggested for people who ride in colder weather I believe.

Mine has been working great, and I've had it for about two years now.

One thing, they claim you can let these batteries sit in the bike for about 12 months without needing a tender etc -- mine drained well below 12V within about 2 or 3 months. Keep in mind that things like alarm systems (which I have) and some USB charging systems etc have a parasitic drain effect on batteries and should probably be disabled or removed in periods of longer-term storage.

Hey folks.

Figured it would be a good idea to update at least one of the Ballistic threads, as my experience with the battery has changed rather drastically.

Wednesday night I was at KC for a bit. Leaving there, electronics were dim & bike struggled to crank as if the battery was cold -- the bike did start after about 4 or 5 tries. Stopped later for food, bike started fine but a little rough. Rode home for the night -- took the scenic route -- Scorpio keyfob read battery voltage at 13.8v, which is nominal for the Ballistic, so didn't think any more of it.

Next day, my Scorpio keyfob is flashing the "Cycle Batt-Low" warning. Jumped the battery from the GF's car and gave it plenty of time to boost. Essentially repeated the behaviour from Wednesday, right up to the 13.8v when I got home. This time I waited around for a bit and checked voltage after 5, 10, then 15 minutes. Each time it had dropped a fair bit -- from 13.8 to 13.2, then 12.8, then 12.4. Not good -- by the time I got upstairs, the keyfob was giving me the battery warning again. So I tossed the battery on the Battery Tender for the day today, let it sit for a few hours once the LED turned green, and popped it back in the bike -- same deal, low voltage (started off at 12.2v this time) and the bike didn't want to start.

I suspect one or more cells inside the battery have failed, and the rest are trying to compensate hence the eventual success in starting -- but this is not something I can count on. At this point I believe I'm beyond 24 months, and a 25%-discounted replacement isn't of much use to me if it's going to repeat the same failure. Based on this and numerous complaints I've now heard from other Ballistic owners, I'm going to switch to something else...

TL;DR version: Battery failed suddenly & without warning; not planning on getting another Ballistic. Was nice while it lasted though...

There are certain things I would save weight on, this not one of them. You can't put a price on convenience & a failing battery is a headache.

Your Scorpio has parasitic draw & is not helping

There are certain things I would save weight on, this not one of them. You can't put a price on convenience & a failing battery is a headache.

Your Scorpio has parasitic draw & is not helping

Lightweight/racing battery + every day use + scorpio + lasting for over 2 years. I would call that pretty damn good, especially considering the price

Lightweight/racing battery + every day use + scorpio + lasting for over 2 years. I would call that pretty damn good, especially considering the price
Not in my books. My first bike battery lasted 10yrs. My present bike battery is on its 4th yr. It powers gps, accessories, & heated vest. Its also a cheap lead/acid battery.

Most of my car batteries has lasted for 10 yrs

Not in my books. My first bike battery lasted 10yrs. My present bike battery is on its 4th yr. It powers gps, accessories, & heated vest. Its also a cheap lead/acid battery.

Most of my car batteries has lasted for 10 yrs

And a hypersport tire will last 20,000 km while a touring tire will last 60,000

And a hypersport tire will last 20,000 km while a touring tire will last 60,000

Exactly my point. For what Tekninja and I use our bikes for, no use getting Li ion. Like why would I be riding on a hypersport tire if I could corner well on every road on Ontario with a Sport Touring tire?

Probably a good battery for track time, but for normal street use where 0.001 sec doesn't count, why bother?

Exactly my point. For what Tekninja and I use our bikes for, no use getting Li ion. Like why would I be riding on a hypersport tire if I could corner well on every road on Ontario with a Sport Touring tire?

Probably a good battery for track time, but for normal street use where 0.001 sec doesn't count, why bother?

Exactly my point, it lasted pretty good for what it is.

Him needing a racing battery or not is another story. You're right for a street bike whatever cheap ass battery that will last forever is what I would get too. Just had to replace the battery on my 125cc yamaha ATV after 15 years with zero maintenance lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom