Insurance stupidity and CBR650F | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance stupidity and CBR650F

conundrum

So in calling around it looks like the new Honda CBR650F suffers from Ninja 650R-itis when it comes to insurance companies...most want more to insure it than a CBR600RRA, likely due to the 649cc engine.

32 Male, full M, clean record, living in Toronto/Scarborough, and most want approx $1800/year to insure, and for reference I pay $560/year on the CBR250RA with TD MM atm. CBR600RRA is $1700/year to insure. Lowest quote I've gotten so far is from John Duffy for $1530/year. So far I've tried TD MM, Rider's Choice (turned me away), John Duffy, Daltin Timmis. I also left my info with All-State and Intact, but they still need to get back to me as the bike wasn't in their systems yet.

Any other ideas on who to try?

So in calling around it looks like the new Honda CBR650F suffers from Ninja 650R-itis when it comes to insurance companies...most want more to insure it than a CBR600RRA, likely due to the 649cc engine.

The only company that charges that way is SF. Every other company it should be cheaper than the 600RR as it is a sport touring bike and not a supersport.

To update, for whatever reason most have rated it as a SS, aso they are guessing they compared it to the closest Honda, which was the 600RR. With that said, in calling around I managed to get a quote of $1200/year from All State if I bring my car and condo to them. Car quote is actually the same as I pay TD MM, so I'm thinking that's the route I'll take. John Duffy and other Intact dealers are all around $1600/year, and TD MM or anyone who rates it as a SS is around $1800-1900/year. Gotta love insurance in Ontario...

No. Have to love insurance rates in the GTA.

My VFR would be over 1k with a markham postal code. Kingston... less than $400. (serious)

I don't recommend giving a false address to get a reduced insurance premium. This is one of the more common scams going around today and one of the ones insurers will investigate quite aggressively.

That's actually illegal for them to do.

If the insurance company offers motorcycle insurance, but they REFUSE to insure your bike without home or car, then that's illegal (tied selling).

But offering cheaper rates on bike insurance with home or car is not illegal. Bundling and/or discounting is fine.

Actually according to the fcso compliance department it isn't.

True but again another example of a poorly written regulation. The insurance company would simply state they were trying to do their best customer service by "informing" the client of all the potential savings and discounts. This is not illegal

At no pint did they tell him they wouldn't insure his bike, but rather would have stated the price is $XXXX for the bike alone however if you "bundle" products then the price for the bike will be $YYYY. Bundling of insurance products is not illegal. However if a bank were say we will give you a mortgage but only if you insure that home and your car with us as well. That is "tied selling" which is illegal.

At no pint did they tell him they wouldn't insure his bike, but rather would have stated the price is $XXXX for the bike alone however if you "bundle" products then the price for the bike will be $YYYY. Bundling of insurance products is not illegal. However if a bank were say we will give you a mortgage but only if you insure that home and your car with us as well. That is "tied selling" which is illegal.

Actually no i specifically made this point to the compliance officer. Allstate are free to not insure your bike without house or condo insurance. The insurance is not regulated the same was as a bank. Go try and get a quote without a house they wont give you one cause they aren't required to.

//As long as that the criteria they registered with of course.

Last edited:
When I had my 650R the only company that charged more for it than a 600 SS was State Farm and half the companies couldn't even do the comparison because they flat out refuse to insure any SS bikes.

A couple of days ago I was halfway through the paper work to buy one of these new, when I realized I had forgotten to double check my insurer (TD) wasn't going raise my premiums too much. I currently pay 800 for a gs500F, they wanted 950 for a CBR500RA with full coverage, and 2k for the 650F. Of course the lady tried to sell me every additional coverage possible beforehand.

I've tried Allstate, who don't have it in their system, but claim its likely considered sport, and I'd need home, and car insurance to get coverage. I believe Jevco considered it sport, and bel-air direct don't insure motorcycles.

Anyone had luck finding decent insurance on this bike?

32 Male, full M, clean record, living in Toronto/Scarborough, and most want approx $1800/year to insure, and for reference I pay $560/year on the CBR250RA with TD MM atm. CBR600RRA is $1700/year to insure. Lowest quote I've gotten so far is from John Duffy for $1530/year. So far I've tried TD MM, Rider's Choice (turned me away), John Duffy, Daltin Timmis. I also left my info with All-State and Intact, but they still need to get back to me as the bike wasn't in their systems yet.

Any other ideas on who to try?

Try a realtor and move :p that's ludacris that your 32 and paying ,560 for a 250 I'm 25 pay 600 a year for a r6 I'm with statefarm maybe try them ?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Try a realtor and move :p that's ludacris that your 32 and paying ,560 for a 250 I'm 25 pay 600 a year for a r6 I'm with statefarm maybe try them ?

That is starting to seem to be the case. I think State Farm may be the only place to get reasonable insurance on a sports bike... But, you have to have your M for over 5 years. Which is probably why they can offer decent prices.

I think I'll be sticking to the CBR500RA. I might look into moving up in 3 years when State Farm becomes an option.

That is starting to seem to be the case. I think State Farm may be the only place to get reasonable insurance on a sports bike... But, you have to have your M for over 5 years. Which is probably why they can offer decent prices.

I think I'll be sticking to the CBR500RA. I might look into moving up in 3 years when State Farm becomes an option.

I have a m2 and my car with them as well as my snowmobile

False. You need to have been driving CARS (g1 + g2 + g) for 5 years. Try calling different agents.

I think it sucks that SF (& other insurance companies??) don't distinguish between sport bikes and cruisers. I'm paying $1k for a 750 Shadow that has been passed by ebikes. ?

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

A couple of days ago I was halfway through the paper work to buy one of these new, when I realized I had forgotten to double check my insurer (TD) wasn't going raise my premiums too much. I currently pay 800 for a gs500F, they wanted 950 for a CBR500RA with full coverage, and 2k for the 650F. Of course the lady tried to sell me every additional coverage possible beforehand.

I've tried Allstate, who don't have it in their system, but claim its likely considered sport, and I'd need home, and car insurance to get coverage. I believe Jevco considered it sport, and bel-air direct don't insure motorcycles.

Anyone had luck finding decent insurance on this bike?

Golluk, call Dalton Timmis -- They are who I went with in the end. Managed to get it for $1200/year ($1100 + $100ish for depreciation protection). I think their info might be posted elsewhere but here is the one I went through:

Kerryan Amaral -- kerryana@daltontimmis.com

Big difference between them and TD was both Intact and Aviva classify it as a sports tourer, where TD sees it as a SS. Also worth noting I only cancelled the bike with TD when I traded in the 250 -- Car and condo are still with them, for now.

Back
Top Bottom