Insurance stupidity and CBR650F | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance stupidity and CBR650F

Wow... that was like my call about insuring a ducati 848. I laughed at the guy on the phone when he said "sir that's a high performance motorcycle and insuring it is going to be expensive." Yet he had quoted me already for a gsxr 750 lol. They're hopeless

Wow... that was like my call about insuring a ducati 848. I laughed at the guy on the phone when he said "sir that's a high performance motorcycle and insuring it is going to be expensive." Yet he had quoted me already for a gsxr 750 lol. They're hopeless

The best part was when I called them back after trading in the 250 to cancel that policy with them. They checked their computer and wanted to know why I didn't keep them with the new bike...

Me: You wanted $1900/year, but I got the same coverage for $1200/year elsewhere, so you were $700 more a year due to how you classified the bike.

Them: Well know that TD MM is always here to protect you 24/7, blah blah blah...Is there anything that will make you change your mind?

Me: (knowing they cant) Will you meet them at $1200/year?

Them: No....We cannot adjust our rates plus that is a high performance motorcycle...

Me: Well then, there really is nothing you can do then, is there?

I know the poor employee was likely reading off a script and had to ask those questions when a customer is dropping them...but how they could say it with no wavering in their voice was a little beyond me. I can't think of anyone who'd be willing to spend $700/year more just because someone asked them to over the phone. lol

Last edited:
Sounds like the guy I had on the phone about the 848. I told him to tell his boss to change the script to a simple "we don't want to insure Ducati". Giving me the run around and then quoting me less than half on a same class bike that walks the duc was just silly. I was laughing by the end and he didn't know what to say.

You guys are all badmouthing TD, but they are currently offering me the cheapest rate. This is my second year riding and StateFarm actually raised my premium by a few % after a perfectly clean year of riding.

27 years old, G for over 10 years, M2 since Nov. 2013, clean record, live in Toronto.

2013 CBR500RA:

SF - ~$2000/year
TD - ~$1500/year (interestingly enough, they quoted me $4000 last year, so clearly a year of riding is a big deal for them)

Any other companies you guys think would be a good bet? Much appreciated.

You guys are all badmouthing TD, but they are currently offering me the cheapest rate. This is my second year riding and StateFarm actually raised my premium by a few % after a perfectly clean year of riding.

27 years old, G for over 10 years, M2 since Nov. 2013, clean record, live in Toronto.

2013 CBR500RA:

SF - ~$2000/year
TD - ~$1500/year (interestingly enough, they quoted me $4000 last year, so clearly a year of riding is a big deal for them)

Any other companies you guys think would be a good bet? Much appreciated.

There is someone called Paul South with SurNet Insurance on GTAM - he offered me quotes around the same price range as yours - but I'm 21.

Back
Top Bottom